Trade in the Avalon?

I'm surprised because taking the position that AWD isn't a significant benefit in real, sustained/severe winter conditions is bonkers.

"Often". "Most". - I agree. My concern is the admittedly small number of times per year when FWD just won't cut it.

I've driven a FWD car with a 3.8 V6 in the winter with snow (not M+S) tires. It was a nightmare trying to get up my steep driveway when it was slick. No such troubles with AWD/4WD.
FWD is just fine in most winter driving scenarios, you even agreed to that. You stated you have a steep driveway, which means you’re a more likely candidate for awd/4WD. Most people don’t have steep driveways. Most people who regularly drive in wintry weather don’t need awd/4WD, which is why so many people skip awd/4WD if the vehicle is already FWD.

RWD vehicles is another story. Awd/4WD in a longitudinal drivetrain setup is much more desirable in winter weather.

Has OP even driven a rav4/rav4 hybrid?
After one test drive, he may think differently about ditching the Avalon
:unsure:
Don't get me wrong the Rav4 is a great little 'ute, but after one test drive, OP may be thinking differently about the transaction.
Actually my sister has a 2018 Rav4 that I have driven a few hundred miles. I liked it, but I realize a new generation would be different and I'd have to test one to see.

I appreciate all the replies and suggestions. This is what makes BITOG a fairly regular read for me.

I've driven right after a blizzard in 9" ruts that have blown over here and there, with FWD and snow tires. It's not easy but you just have to know how to drive.

AWD might be better in even worse conditions but by then I'd be staying off the roads.

No .
Screenshot_20220308-202803_Gallery.jpg

I've driven right after a blizzard in 9" ruts that have blown over here and there, with FWD and snow tires. It's not easy but you just have to know how to drive.

AWD might be better in even worse conditions but by then I'd be staying off the roads.
Totally agree.I've lived in Winnipeg my whole life,winter doesn't get any worse than here.FWD and real snow tires will get you through anything a sane person should deal with.This is coming from a guy who drove RWD,bias ply non snow tires and survived.Regular all season radials back in the day were an immense improvement in snow over bias ply.

I'd keep what you've got to be honest. I can't imagine that the old Blazer is having much of an effect on your insurance premiums.

Vroom and carvana will hold their word on price as long as it’s what you describe it as.

But the way I see it, you may profit on the avalon but you’re also paying more for the new car, so it’s really the same.

Asking your opinion, should I trade in my 2018 Avalon? I bought it used with 15k on the odometer for a total of 23k out the door.
I have to say it is a great car. Quiet. Drivetrain that is as smooth as butter.
Just 2 weeks ago I got a VROOM quote for my car at $24266, so I figure this is what a dealer would ball park me at.
I also have an old 2001 Blazer with only 66k on the clock. It's in pretty good condition. No rust. It has to be worth at least 3k on the private market in today's crazy used car world. So by selling the Blazer and trading in the Avalon I should have about 27k in my pocket. If I did this I would be interested in a RAV4, and maybe even the hybrid model. I'd have AWD for Chicago winters, and reduce my vehicles down to one. Roughly figuring an XLE Rav4 at about 34k plus TTL, I imagine I can get out the door for.......um....38k? So by kicking in approx 10-11k from my pocket I'd have a brand new vehicle, better mileage, and one less insurance payment.
It kind of makes sense to me. What do you guys think?
If you want a new car, go for it.

Has OP even driven a rav4/rav4 hybrid?
After one test drive, he may think differently about ditching the Avalon
:unsure:
Don't get me wrong the Rav4 is a great little 'ute, but after one test drive, OP may be thinking differently about the transaction.
Lot's more road noise and bouncy ride.

Back