TPMS Battery Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, the two cars in my signature(Altima & Civic) both 5 years old now, are in need of new tires this coming Spring 2020. I am in the process of buying tires and will have them installed soon after Winter for the Spring Tire Changeover.

Can you folks comment on whether or not, in your experience, to change out the batteries in the TPMS Sensors at this time? Do the batteries typically last, Oh IDK, 10 years?

We are not experiencing any TPMS issues with leaking or accuracy. What is going on in your experience?

Yes I know, this is the best time to change out the batteries since the tires will be dismounted from the wheels. But, if there is no need, I'd rather not do it.

Also, one installer recommends changing out the rubber O-Rings/Seals on the "valve stem type" of TPMS sensor. But, I don't want them touching anything that isn't broken/leaking.

Thanks,
CB

Last edited:
You should get new batteries or new sensors with new batteries at this point in time, unless you don't mind ignoring a warning on your dash, which some people don't to save a few dollars. The only time you shouldn't replace them is if you put high highway miles on so your tires are more about miles than years which isn't the case at 5 years old.

EDIT:
I should also add that we don't mind seeing the TPMS warning light in the dash as we see it all Winter long with our Winter Tires/Wheels Pkg which have NO Sensors.

I think you're good for at least another set of tires.. I preventatively replaced the sensors on my wifes 08 CRV a few years ago and the new sensors promptly conked out (that's what I get for ordering sensors off ebay). Her factory sensors were still working fine at 10 years old. Does your 15 civic even have sensors? I know by 15 the CRV was using another system that didn't have them.

Last edited:
Knock on wood, my 2011 bmw built 6/2010, still has original battery and sensors... if I was doing tires, I'd find a qualified shop to replace batteries and seals at 10 years. Costco does this cost effectively.

Originally Posted by nwjones18
I think you're good for at least another set of tires.. I preventatively replaced the sensors on my wifes 08 CRV a few years ago and the new sensors promptly conked out (that's what I get for ordering sensors off ebay).

I think you experienced a perfect case of "they don't make 'em like they used to. I had (1) sensor in my 2008 G35 that needed replaced because of corrosion around the stem and it wouldn't seal properly. These were 10 year sensors/batteries and were still working. Nowadays, or with newer cars, I see mention of them lasting only 5 years. I did replace all (4), by the way. There was a 2nd one that had a much, much slower leak for the same corrosion issue and I figured if 2 of the 4 were showing signs, the other 2 can't be far behind. I bought VDO sensors and Discount Tire installed them.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
Also, one installer recommends changing out the rubber O-Rings/Seals on the "valve stem type" of TPMS sensor. But, I don't want them touching anything that isn't broken/leaking.

He's recommending a TPMS "service". See my post above about corrosion and leaking air. I'm in SW Ohio and while we see plenty of road salt, you almost certainly see much more. I'd definitely have him do this. Discount Tire doesn't charge for this when you buy new tires and you keep the same sensors. If I'm not mistaken, they have to "touch them" in order to replace tires. They have to remove the 'nut', o-ring, etc before dismounting the tire.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Don't know any sensor where you can replace the battery. You replace the sensor.

That is what I was thinking , but I may be wrong ? May depend on the model & year of the car ?

Hey CB; Mine are over 11 years old now and still going strong. I replaced the OEM tire in 2015 and left the sensors alone.

Does your 15 civic even have sensors? I know by 15 the CRV was using another system that didn't have them.

The Civic does has a different type of TPMS system(non-valve stem type). The Civic has conventional rubber valve stems. I think that the CIVIC has the "band around the inside of the wheel" type. But then again, I'm not sure exactly.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Don't know any sensor where you can replace the battery. You replace the sensor.

Now, that's something that I DID NOT know. Thanks!

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by Char Baby

He's recommending a TPMS "service". See my post above about corrosion and leaking air. I'm in SW Ohio and while we see plenty of road salt, you almost certainly see much more.

They have to remove the 'nut', o-ring, etc before dismounting the tire.

Thank you. There is a certain way to break the bead and NOT touch the "valve stem" type TPMS if the tire installer knows what they're doing. I've seen videos on this and they should never have to touch the stem. It's called being careful not to break anything.
smile.gif

My SIL just had new tires put on her GMC Terrain at this installer and they never had to touch the valve stem TPMS. They just had to do the "GM walk around TPMS recalibration". Both of our cars (Altima/Civic) TPMS systems adjust themselves.

Our OE wheels/tires are remove for the Winter on both cars. These have not seen road salt. We have winter tires on their own wheels.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by GSCJR
Hey CB; Mine are over 11 years old now and still going strong. I replaced the OEM tire in 2015 and left the sensors alone.

This is inspiring thanks.

my 2011 crv were stil working perfect before it was totaled. i believe newer sensors go into sleep mode to conserve power and can last a long time depending on how often they are driven. i would not change them till they go bad

on the tpms service, DT does it as part of the mounting balancing cost . they basically change the core and oring for the sensors. suppose to give you back the old ones as proof it was done.

i think honda went with the speed sensor variation system in 2017. no more tpms sensors to replace

Last edited:
Seems you can only get OEM from the dealer, as all Ive seen anywhere else is some Chinese aftermarket replacements. I was quoted $430 for four sensors plus $100 for labour to change mine. Needless to say, I didn't.

I preventatively replaced the sensors on my wifes 08 CRV a few years ago and the new sensors promptly conked out (that's what I get for ordering sensors off ebay).

Our first sensor (on our 07 Frontier) died at 7 years. We lived with the light for 3 more years, and got new sensors from our indy tire dealer for $70 each when we got a set of new tires.

They were still going strong when she ran over Bambi and totaled the truck 4 months later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back