TPMS Battery Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
glad none of my stuff has this sort of nannyware to maintain.
its no problem for me to check tires regularly.
and if one starts going down while driving i will know it anyway.
more unneeded junk to coddle the ignorant.

Originally Posted by kc8adu

The light might give you a warning. Maybe you'll meet some new friends at a rest stop.

laugh.gif

Many times this system has alerted me that a tire is loosing pressure due to a nail, etc, where I otherwise would not have noticed it until the tire was very low. I do glance at my tires every time I approach my vehicles when it's practical, but you can't always. I can't always tell a tire is 5 to sometimes 10lbs low on air pressure either.

Other than that, like you say, I hate TMPS because of the added complexity and cost. I can hardly wait until they include it into NY state's mandatory yearly safety inspections one day. Most shops charge close to $100/ea for random aftermarket sensors these days and you can't blame them given their costs and time required.

So when you're going down the highway at 70 mph and get a nail in your tire, you're rather not know about it when the pressure dropped to 25 psi so you can change or fix the tire, but rather wait until you feel the cachunkachunk from the wheel? Or when you roll over if taking a sharp turn?

Originally Posted by atikovi

So when you're going down the highway at 70 mph and get a nail in your tire, you're rather not know about it when the pressure dropped to 25 psi so you can change or fix the tire, but rather wait until you feel the cachunkachunk from the wheel? Or when you roll over if taking a sharp turn?

we can hear a deflated tyre making a different noie, and we can feel a deflated tyre not behaving the same as a fully inflated one. If you're ignorant to both of these and need TPMS to tell you then you should put the phone down and keep your attention fixed firmly on the vehicle you are in control of.

you n me both, brother

Originally Posted by JOD
Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
There is no TPMS sensor im aware of that you can change the battery. Not one.

Walmart also sells Schrader TPMS sensors installed for $28.99.

See above. They can be all be changed... Given the drop in price though, it doesn't make as much sense as it used to.

Most sensors I see now, the battery and electronics are sealed in potting compound. Doubt you can replace a battery in one of those without damaging it.

If you change your tires after five years without replacing the TPMS sensors, one or more of the original sensors likely WILL fail before your next tire purchase. My Infiniti lasted 7 years. My Honda lasted 12 years. Consider changing them now. Discount Tire charges $60 for a new sensor installed at the time of tire purchase.

Originally Posted by nthach
The sensors use tabbed CR20xx batteries, but it's another thing to crack open a sensor since the cases are ultrasonically welded to seal the PCB. Soldering surface-mount components is a delicate task - the solder pad falls off or breaks away from the traces you're screwed.

This. I've replaced plenty of TPMS valve stems/collars (and more than a few sensors), but I've never replaced the batteries. They're not designed to be serviced.

My ‘07 Silverado still has all the original TPMS sensors (hope I didn't just jinx myself...).

Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
If you change your tires after five years without replacing the TPMS sensors, one or more of the original sensors likely WILL fail before your next tire purchase. My Infiniti lasted 7 years. My Honda lasted 12 years. Consider changing them now. Discount Tire charges $60 for a new sensor installed at the time of tire purchase.

LOL the air gauge I use on my Corolla has lasted 16 years you suppose that telling anyone something? I've put new tires on it twice without on hitch?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back