TPMS Battery Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
The sensors use tabbed CR20xx batteries, but it's another thing to crack open a sensor since the cases are ultrasonically welded to seal the PCB. Soldering surface-mount components is a delicate task - the solder pad falls off or breaks away from the traces you're screwed.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Don't know any sensor where you can replace the battery. You replace the sensor.

Most of them you can, you basically chisel or dremel the potting material or casing away to expose the old battery, then its just a matter of cutting off the old battery, and soldering on a replacement battery and re-applying some RTV over it to keep moisture out. Most sensors and batteries last 10 yrs as they are not communicating when in sleep mode (tires not rotating). ifixit.com has nice precision tool kits for this kind of repair.

Not just becuase I have fords, but I really like their OEM sensors. They are banded to the rim and not on the valve stem. So you can use cheap off the shelf valve stems and not have to worry about corroding the very expensive sensor / stem combo unit in our winter months.

Originally Posted by Fordiesel69
Don't know any sensor where you can replace the battery. You replace the sensor.

Most of them you can, you basically chisel or dremel the potting material or casing away to expose the old battery, then its just a matter of cutting off the old battery, and soldering on a replacement battery and re-applying some RTV over it to keep moisture out.

Waste of time. 99% of the time you destroy the sensor cutting it open. May have been valid 10 years ago when sensors cost $80 but now most of them are under $30-$40.

Most of them you can, you basically chisel or dremel the potting material or casing away to expose the old battery, then its just a matter of cutting off the old battery, and soldering on a replacement battery and re-applying some RTV over it to keep moisture out. Most sensors and batteries last 10 yrs as they are not communicating when in sleep mode (tires not rotating). ifixit.com has nice precision tool kits for this kind of repair.

Yep, I've done this before. I'm also pretty cheap, though. The price on TPMS sensors also seems to have dropped as well, so I'm not sure it's worth the hassle.

For folks that do go this route, thin the silicone with mineral spirits to make it self leveling, and use that as potting material after you solder in the new batteries.

I was in the same predicament with almost identical vehicle (civic) and chose to wait.
There is a chance you'd make it to the next tire change without having to replace tpms.
And there is chance you might decide to get a new vehicle before it is an issue.

Also, they (dealers and tire places) have made TPMS such an inflated cost that i'm not willing to prematurely shell out a pile of money.

They're getting cheaper. I have two sets from Amazon, both are fine. Amazon's Choice is a better bet than creepy EBay.

TPMS.PNG

Not just becuase I have fords, but I really like their OEM sensors. They are banded to the rim and not on the valve stem. So you can use cheap off the shelf valve stems and not have to worry about corroding the very expensive sensor / stem combo unit in our winter months.

I don't want to cut open & unknowlingly ruin a TPMS sensor just to install a bettery. Then only to find out that the sensor no longer works well or at all after it's been installed and tires & wheels are now on the vehicle. If after we get new tires and at a later time one or more sensors no longer work well, they'll have to wait for the next set of tires before they'll get replaced.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Char Baby

I don't want to cut open & unknowlingly ruin a TPMS sensor just to install a bettery. Then only to find out that the sensor no longer works well or at all after it's been installed and tires & wheels are now on the vehicle. If after we get new tires and at a later time one or more sensors no longer work well, they'll have to wait for the next set of tires before they'll get replaced.

And will that go exactly? Drive to a tire store or service station, put the car on a lift, remove tires, remove sensors, take sensors home to do the surgery while leaving the car on the lift (no shop will agree to that), come back and the get the sensors put back in hoping they survived and get them programmed.

I have an old digital Timex watch that's sitting in drawer chirping the alarm at 4:45am for at least 20 years now.

Most of them you can, you basically chisel or dremel the potting material or casing away to expose the old battery, then its just a matter of cutting off the old battery...

Man, I'm all about saving money myself, but I'd never go to that much trouble.

Your Civic doesn't use traditional TPMS sensors. The Altima can use VDO SE55556 - $33/each from Rockauto. Hand them to the tire installer and watch them replace them. You say no programming is necessary so confirm that and make sure they don't try and charge you for it.

Regarding Hondas, in 2015, the CRZ, Crosstour, Odyssey, and Pilot still use sensors. In 2016, the first two dropped off that list. In 2017, the Ridgeline was added.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Most of them you can, you basically chisel or dremel the potting material or casing away to expose the old battery, then its just a matter of cutting off the old battery...

Man, I'm all about saving money myself, but I'd never go to that much trouble.

In my defense, the sensors were $150 apiece when I did this. That 600 bucks! It took about two hours to do four of them, an hour for the first one and about's 20 minutes a piece for the next three...

In my 08 Nissan and a 09 Pontiac, the TPMS batteries lasted about 7 - 8 years. I bought a set of Dormans for the Nissan from Rockauto but the installer first checked them on the counter and said 2 of the 4 were dead! So I had him install what he stocked for $50 each. That's $200! Returned the Dormans to RA for a full refund. After that, when the tpms batteries died on the Pontiac, I just minimize the warning on my instrument panel and drive.

Last edited:
There is no TPMS sensor im aware of that you can change the battery. Not one.

Walmart also sells Schrader TPMS sensors installed for $28.99.

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta
There is no TPMS sensor im aware of that you can change the battery. Not one.

Walmart also sells Schrader TPMS sensors installed for $28.99.

See above. They can be all be changed... Given the drop in price though, it doesn't make as much sense as it used to.

Originally Posted by Traction
I have an old digital Timex watch that's sitting in drawer chirping the alarm at 4:45am for at least 20 years now.

Funny you bring this up. I have a 25 yr old TIMEX Ironman IndiGlo that has had 3 batteries it's whole life. Strange about these TIMEX watches. Their batteries seem to last a long time. Mine use a CR2016.

No, you would just do it yourself without a shop involved........ Google how to break a bead on a tire. You will compress the rubber enough to expose the sensor you are servicing. You remove it, fix it, then reinstall it. I have personally not had luck with aftemarket senors lasting long. Im not saying this is the case for you, just for me. The OEM banded ford sensors are very good quality, and I find them worth the effort repairing them. I always have a set of 4 used ones that have new batteries ready to be swapped in.

I have a working background in electronics and equipment to perform component level repair, so this is not hard. Ifthis makes you uncomfortable id just run the sensors until they dye. And no....amazingly that do not all die at the same time...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back