Toyota, why are you absent from the EV races?

Apparently Toyota has all the answers

"What has to change is that we have to mature a little bit, and we have to stop doing wishful thinking," he said. "A real discussion is that these are the constraints in the development of resources in the world, both material resources and charging infrastructure and renewable power… If that is true, how do we reduce the total amount of carbon dioxide that will accumulate? That is a mature discussion, not a kind of dream discussion."

Maybe the people at Toyota are really smart, won't run with the crowd and they won't do this,

cliff.jpg

Because Toyota is right. Time will prove it.
Been saying for years that widespread hybrid vehicle adoption (not full EV) is the way forward for the foreseeable future. Full EV vehicles are awesome, and are great for a small percentage of people, and that number will grow higher indeed. But the majority of people cannot adopt them within the timeframe that's currently imposed (next 10-15ish years).

Toyota is 100% right on this.
Additionally, they are working hard on solid state battery technology development which will change the battery EV landscape dramatically, and they are waiting until this technology is perfected, economically viable, and able to be manufactured in large numbers before they come to market with a substantial number of their own battery EVs. When they do, look out! They will bury a number of battery EV manufacturers in short order.
As far as how Toyota does things, they take the long view and are not as concerned about next quarter profits as most other auto manufacturers are. Toyota is a ruthless competitor. They know what they are doing.

Last edited:
"Wait till the big boys get in..."
Where have I heard that before?
Again, I love Toyota, and competition is good for the customer.
I wish them well. But get crackin!

I wonder who is herding the sheep into wanting EVs ? I like the option but the sheeple are being herded.

Good lord what the hell is that supposed to mean? People who want EVs are buying them. Obviously those who don't want to buy them aren't and a fraction of those want to start a fight with those who are buying EVs. What is wrong with people?

Toyota is a global manufacturer. Globally EV's are still a small part of the overall market.

I know people would like to think EV's require some magical knowledge, but if Toyota wanted an true EV they could have one tomorrow - simply replace the engine in their hybrid powertrain with a battery. They already have several "prime" plug in hybrids. All that's missing is a bigger battery.

They can't make enough cars already, so they probably figure no point in causing themselves more pain at the moment.

Toyota is a global manufacturer. Globally EV's are still a small part of the overall market.

I know people would like to think EV's require some magical knowledge, but if Toyota wanted an true EV they could have one tomorrow - simply replace the engine in their hybrid powertrain with a battery. They already have several "prime" plug in hybrids. All that's missing is a bigger battery.

They can't make enough cars already, so they probably figure no point in causing themselves more pain at the moment.

They tried that. The wheels fell off. 😂

In some circumstances Hybrids currently have the advantage. Toyota excels here.

For shorter drives (150 miles/day or less) where the owner has a place to park that can be equipped with a 240 Volt outlet, EVs have the advantage. Toyota is not in this game - or so they say. But then again they suddenly appeared with the first Hybrids too (after at least a decade of development).

Back