Toyota U.S.A., Inc. Does NOT back spec Gen2 Prius.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see your point, but there is a lot of nonsense coming out from whoever you spoke at Toyota and whoever produced the first chart.

First: The second chart (with the colored dots) was or perhaps has been on the official Toyota USA Web site for many years. Someone is now claiming that it's a made-up chart? Really?

Second: There is so much nonsense on the first chart that I would disregard it completely. "Conventional oil only." Really? Are we living in the 1960s?

Anyone who has been on BITOG long enough knows better than to take everything a car maker says about oil recommendation canonically.

And as one of our more vocal members on oil recommendations states.

It's only the US recommendation that counts if you live in the US...it doesn't matter what is specified or recommended elsewhere, it's the engineers who made the recommendation for North America that should be listened to in any of these debates.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
I see your point, but there is a lot of nonsense coming out from whoever you spoke at Toyota and whoever produced the first chart.

First: The second chart was or perhaps has been on the official Toyota Web site for many years. Someone is now claiming that it's a made-up chart? Really?

I believe the first chart comes from TIS or Toyota Information System. (can anyone confirm or deny?)

If the second chart is on an official Toyota website anywhere I would love a link to it, I cannot find it on one using a google image search. It is oft reported to be from Canada.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
It's only the US recommendation that counts if you live in the US...it doesn't matter what is specified or recommended elsewhere, it's the engineers who made the recommendation for North America that should be listened to in any of these debates.

I actually agree with that, conversely if one lives in Germany then it is what is recommended there that should be the concern.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
If the second chart is on an official Toyota website anywhere I would love a link to it, I cannot find it on one using a google image search. It is oft reported to be from Canada.

No, I could assure you that it was on the Toyota USA Web site just a few years ago for quite a while. A laminated physical version was also found lying around in the parts departments of the Toyota USA dealers a few years ago.

You are worrying too much about this. Your engine will run fine with any oil, including 0W-20 or 5W-20. I would base the selection on oil consumption. I also prefer synthetic to conventional. You can even run 20W-50 in the Atlanta heat and your engine wouldn't know the difference. SAE viscosity grade is a nonissue for your application and climate.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
You are worrying too much about this. ...

The only thing I am worried about is whether people have any support for their claims when they state things like "Toyota has back specced the Prius" or similar.

I've laid out my case for "NO they haven't" so I'm looking for anyone that says otherwise in the USA to lay their case out.

Anything else is just noise.

The only thing I am worried about is whether people have any support for their claims when they state things like "Toyota has back specced the Prius" or similar.

I've laid out my case for "NO they haven't" so I'm looking for anyone that says otherwise in the USA to lay their case out.

Anything else is just noise.

As I explained to you, the colored-dot chart was an official Toyota USA chart just a few years ago. I viewed it on the Toyota USA Web site quite a few times.

Generation 4 Prius is hitting the USA dealers in January. Toyota can't care less whether they back-spec the oil on Generation 2 Prius one way or the other.

Should I complain to Toyota that they are not back-spec'ing 0W-20 for my 1985 Corolla?
wink.gif

Just because a chart was on their website "for years" doesn't mean it was officially approved and if it's not their recommendation now maybe they made a mistake and rescinded the back spec. Doesn't Toyota have an official system that dealers can look up the current recommended fluids?

It looks like the first chart is a summary of what are in the owners' manuals -- no back-spec'ing at all.

If Toyota Canada is still officially back-spec'ing xW-20, it means there is nothing wrong with that.

I've run PYB 5W-20 SN and TGMO 0W-20 SN in my 1985 Corolla with no significant problems. Fe was low. Cr and Pb were a tad bit high (not bad though) -- that's why I'm trying M1 0W-40 SN now.

Don't forget that conventional 5W-30 shears to xW-20 weight or near xW-20 weight anyway.

As I said, run whatever you like. Your car is out of warranty anyway. If I were you, I would probably run a quality synthetic 5W-30 for peace of mind and even switch to 0W-40 if there is too much oil consumption, which will help with it greatly.

Also, don't forget that in every Toyota owner's manual in the oil-recommendation section, the following statement is made:

An oil with a higher viscosity may be better suited if the vehicle is operated at high speeds, or under extreme load condition.

Therefore, it's always OK to go up in viscosity, in fact even better for reducing wear in general.

Originally Posted By: car51
WOW, really Gokhan?!
car51, how does that contribute to this discussion? [removed]

Last edited by a moderator:
Who cares, I sure don't. Watch your language towards members as I will gladly notify a moderator of your actions and harsh attitude

Also since you can't read; the OP is saying that the allowable grade for the Prius is 5w30, not a 0w20. I have these at work and we use the required grade. If you have proof, blasphemy, facts to show 0w20 and not 5w30 is allowed: show us. If not: stop being a rude individual towards me and others and or shut up!

As I stated DuckRyder I believe is correct that 5w30 is the correct oil to use and NOT a 0w20. Gokhan: show is some real world facts that support your statements

I believe the first chart comes from TIS or Toyota Information System. (can anyone confirm or deny?)

Examining that chart, it seems to be a mere summary of what are specified in the owners' manuals for Toyota vehicles. Also given the copyright line, it's probably from TIS then.

You can subscribe to TIS for only about $10 for a period of 24 hours. You can download all sections of your cars' service manual, which is very useful. There are many sections though; therefore, do it on a free day. I doubt there is anything worthy there as far as oil recommendation goes, other than spec-summary charts like what you posted, which can already found in owners' manuals. It's useful for service departments to have a consolidated chart though.

Also, don't forget that TGMO oil selection is very limited. The only synthetic TGMO is 0W-20 and the only conventional TGMO are 5W-30, 10W-30, and 10W-40. They even seem to have discontinued the conventional 5W-20 now to streamline the xW-20 grade. The lack of TGMO choices is one reason why the oil chart you posted seems so mysterious and confusing, such as Toyota seemingly not recommending synthetic oil in some applications, which is of course not the case in reality.

This whole thread seems a little laughable.
In short, who cares?
Too much passion expended on a car that offers none.
You want to run a twenty in the appliance?
Go right ahead. I'm sure it would cause no harm.
You want to run a thirty or even forty?
Why not, no harm done.
Most engines, including the tiny, low-powered stove the Prius comes with will do fine on a range of grades.
If consumption seems a tad higher than you'd like on a twenty, then bump it up.
It's all good and I doubt that the engine will care one way or the other.
The Prius engine can't make enough power to hurt itself, regardless of grade used.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
This whole thread seems a little laughable.
In short, who cares?
You want to run a twenty in the appliance?
Go right ahead. I'm sure it would cause no harm.
You want to run a thirty or even forty?
Why not, no harm done.
Most engines, including the tiny, low-powered stove the Prius comes with will do fine on a range of grades.
If consumption seems a tad higher than you'd like on a twenty, then bump it up.
It's all good and I doubt that the engine will care one way or the other.
The Prius engine can't make enough power to hurt itself, regardless of grade used.

Apparently you care since you are here. Try reading it again apparently you have a poor grasp of the subject at hand.

I'm surprised a guy with a Subaru has so much free time between head gasket changes and oil consumption test.
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
In short, who cares?

Everyone on BITOG, including apparently you as well. It's an oil forum here.
wink.gif

Quote:

Easy there. Everyone values their car. Besides, it (along with Generation 3) still offers the best fuel economy in the world (until Generation 4 comes next month).
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back