Toyota Tundra OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
curious as to everyone's thoughts. Have a 2013 tundra (5.7) with 260k on it

previous owner did dealer oil changes every 10k and drove mostly highway miles.

I am driving mostly short trips, and occasionally am towing a 6,000 # trailer (mostly flat terrain)

Would you shorten the OCI to 5,000 or 6,000 or keep it at 10K?

Haven been Using RTG 0w-20 or 5w-20 and Fram Ultra filters

It’s an 8 quart sump with an oil cooler. Not sure it matters.

if it was me, I would probably do 5k on 5w30 when towing. No fancy oil or filter. but I suspect 0w20 even on a 10k would be fine, that is factory recommendation and all.

I drive mostly all highway miles and keep to 10,000 mile OCI. But if my driving habits changed, I'd go down to 5000 or 6000 mile OCI.

My Tundra is flex fuel - so it calls for a 5,000 mile OCI. The only negative that I see from a shorter OCI is the cost.

To mitigate the cost, I buy the oil on Amazon, for $22/jug, and I've got a bunch on hand. I use Toyota filters, bought at the dealer. Inexpensive and good quality.

My truck gets short tripped, and tows, then runs on long highway drives. Probably typical use, on average, not quite severe service.

It would help to know how the previous owner used this truck. If it's running well, and I imagine that it is, then, I would say the previous owner's interval and oil choice is good.

5k and max of one year. Shorten to 6 months if you really want to get after it. Does it use any oil between oil changes? Don’t forget the atf.

This isn't a GDI motor is it? You could run 10k. If you want peace of mind then get a UOA at your next oil change and adjust your OCI accordingly. Everything else is just opinions.
I would run a good synthetic, and not worry about it.

curious as to everyone's thoughts. Have a 2013 tundra (5.7) with 260k on it

previous owner did dealer oil changes every 10k and drove mostly highway miles.

I am driving mostly short trips, and occasionally am towing a 6,000 # trailer (mostly flat terrain)

Would you shorten the OCI to 5,000 or 6,000 or keep it at 10K?

Haven been Using RTG 0w-20 or 5w-20 and Fram Ultra filters
I'd classify your way of driving as 'Severe" and do OCIs every 3-5K miles.

since I have about 100 qts of oil sitting in my garage from the great autozone RGT clearance last year, i will probably start doing 5-6K OCI

Truck currently doesn't use any oil. It is FFV model and even though I never run E85 i think a 5K OC is still recommended by toyota

On our 200K 2001 V8 Tundra, I do yearly oil changes with any 5w30 Synthetic. I swap the filter every other service.
Last time it was Kirkland oil...
The truck is driven less than 5K annually.

Reactions: wlk
To me it is more a question of how you value your time vs the cost of an oil change.

To make life easy I would use a Mobil 1 extended guard filter and would just leave it for a full year to 20 k. miles.
then I would dump and fill based on use. Do a lot of long trips and the short trips and towing add up to 10% or less of your total Miles stick with the regular OCI.
if the majority of your miles (;not trips) are less than 20 minutes total. or you combine your towing miles with those miles and get a majority of miles as short trip or towing. Dump and fill at 5k. At 1 year or 20k change the filter.

RGT? 5k intervals. Some people have posted UOAs of it and it doesn’t seem to last much longer than 5-6k.

We have 2 Tundras.

My oldest, which I handed down to my son, is a 2010 and has 507k miles on it and its had 5k OCI's its whole life with mostly Valvoline, Amsoil, RGT, and M1. Current fill is M1 high mileage

My newest is a 2017 and keeping the same 5k OCI's (flex fuel recommends a 5k OCI). Its seen mostly Toyota, RGT, Amsoil, and now current fill is the Valvoline Extended Protection.

For all the whining about the Tundra 5.7 gas mileage, its proven to be arguably Toyotas best motor.

To the OP, I honestly believe that as long as you just change the oil at a regular interval, its gonna last you forever.

I'm going to stick with 5k OCI's. I tow too much.

I think you are the point where anything that does eventually fail, is not going to be relegated to whether you did 5K or 10K OCI's.

On one of the Tundra forums there is a thread with a Tundra owner with over a MILLION miles on his 5.7 Tundra. He said he used M1 5w20 at 10k intervals. Hard to argue against that. That said, the 5.7 is a great engine and I honestly think you will be fine on any quality synthetic from 0w20 to 5w30 and intervals from 5-10k. That engine should be the last of your worries. If it helps you sleep better, change at 7500 miles.

I, too, would do 5K OCI's with a good synthetic like that. If with high-end synthetic media filter,, I'd let the filter work for 10K. If a paper/syn or full paper filter, I'd change it with every OCI.

I'll be the contrarian. 10K on Mobil 1 EP. This is 2021; vehicles have excellent fuel control, and oils are "that good"

My friends 02 tundra does 12-15K yearly OCI and it is mostly short tripped. 250K+, no oil consumption. One year she had an 18K OCI.

5K OCI on a 7 or 8 qt sump is a lot of wasted time and oil for what was recommended 20 to 25 years ago.

It’s an 8 quart sump with an oil cooler. Not sure it matters.

if it was me, I would probably do 5k on 5w30 when towing. No fancy oil or filter. but I suspect 0w20 even on a 10k would be fine, that is factory recommendation and all.
Agree w/supton on the sump and oil cooler. Plus the engine is not hard on oil and a good 0W20 oil will be able to handle it. I do heavy towing on my Tundra and use 0W20 with great UAOs. Do a UAO just to be sure.

I'll be the contrarian. 10K on Mobil 1 EP. This is 2021; vehicles have excellent fuel control, and oils are "that good"

My friends 02 tundra does 12-15K yearly OCI and it is mostly short tripped. 250K+, no oil consumption. One year she had an 18K OCI.

5K OCI on a 7 or 8 qt sump is a lot of wasted time and oil for what was recommended 20 to 25 years ago.
I agree with you.

And, in fact, since he’s on the South Carolina coast, I’d use M1-EP 10W-30 to get the benefit of less viscosity-modifying additive, and a better Noack score.

10K OCIs with that oil will be fine, as long as you’re not really punishing the oil with a lot of heavy towing and short trips.

I have a couple of OCIs worth of Valvoline Modern Engine 0W-20 left over, myself, from the late 2019 AZ clearance, and, when I run through that, I’ll very likely be going with the M1-EP 10W-30 at 10K intervals for the wife’s 4Runner. I’ve already been doing this on my 07 Tacoma for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back