Toyota Traded Quality for Quantity

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll bet a bent con rod against a sludged Toyota engine that it's a Toyota engineering problem.

If it's an electrical malfunction with the accelerator pedal position sensor: a PROPERLY ENGINEERED powertrain control module would ignore the defective sensor based on crosscheck error.
The failback mode would be idle in this instance.

GM does this, and has done this from their first drive by wire.

So far Toyota has tried to make a case for a mechanical cause:
Floor mat, sticking accelerator Etc.
And since their story continues to change it is obvious that either they don't have a handle on this, or they are hiding something.

Time will tell and the buying public will be the judge.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
Originally Posted By: rszappa1
Looks like Ford has halted some production in China.... Why???? They use the same company for the gas pedals...But I am sure that they were built to fords specs.....
18.gif

I'm no expert on auto parts suppliers but I'm pretty sure different automakers can set different specs even with the same supplier and part. I know of one case where a supplier was supplying I think some plastic air intake duct to Honda and GM. GM required the part to weigh a certain weight to be accepted and Honda did not.
Was that a Saturn Vue with the Honda motor?

Could've been, that's a good quess, but I don't remember the specifics of what type of part it was. I just think it's typical of a supplier to build an almost identical or similar part to a different spec or are required to check it against the manufactures required specs.

Originally Posted By: Rickey
"Toyota Traded Quality for Quantity"

And the cost was how many lives?

Very poor trade.

Hmmmm, now who made the exploding Pintos (and decided settling law suits would be cheaper than preventing explosions in the first place)??? And who knowingly made V-6 engines with "it WILL leak" upper intake manifold gaskets??? And so on. No big surprise -- they're ALL willing to throw customers under the bus to make an extra penny per year.

At least Toyota had the guts to take the massive step of stopping sales while they fix the mess they made. GM, Ford, Chrysler, Honda, Nissan -- NONE of they have had the stones to do what Toyota has done. I'm amazed at how people are critical of Toyota for having taken "too long" to do this. Absolutely NO other car maker has EVER taken this strong a step to correct any problem.

Originally Posted By: ekpolk

Very poor trade.

Hmmmm, now who made the exploding Pintos (and decided settling law suits would be cheaper than preventing explosions in the first place)??? And who knowingly made V-6 engines with "it WILL leak" upper intake manifold gaskets??? And so on. No big surprise -- they're ALL willing to throw customers under the bus to make an extra penny per year.

At least Toyota had the guts to take the massive step of stopping sales while they fix the mess they made. GM, Ford, Chrysler, Honda, Nissan -- NONE of they have had the stones to do what Toyota has done. I'm amazed at how people are critical of Toyota for having taken "too long" to do this. Absolutely NO other car maker has EVER taken this strong a step to correct any problem.

You know why? because they decided that the lawsuits from this would be more expensive than to fix the problem. PErhaps they didn't count on it getting so much publicity, and hurting their reputation as much as it is/going to.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Weren't they required by law to stop sales?

I beleive so, also got to look at IMO they tried to hide this for weeks now.

Quote:
At least Toyota had the guts to take the massive step of stopping sales while they fix the mess they made.

How many times do people have to point out to you kool aid drinkers that they were forced to by the NHTSA, this wasnt a volunatary thing. That is the only reason they did it, so please dont pontify that Toyota has the stones too, as a matter of fact it is now coming out that they have been well aware of this issue on models dating back to 2001.

I love how the Toyota guys poop on the Big 3 guys when they try to defend the big three, but now they are out in force trying to defend Mother Toyota, I have never seen so many lame excuses or twist of what little of the facts we have. Sucks to be in that seat dosen't it.

Very poor trade.

Absolutely amazing that anyone can defend any manufacturer for doing "the right thing" after people have died because of their products. The Toyota homers on this board are the worst. Toyota blames floor mats and that is "the right thing"? Sheesh. Better yet is Toyota dragging the suppliers name in the mud to deflect the real issue, which is that their own design, not the supplier's, is the cause of this. This is corporate greed at it's very best and no one is going to buy their spin. For anyone to defend this is in total denial.

Very poor trade.

Still living in 1974 I see.....The difference between Toy and Ford is that Ford learned a valuable lesson from the Pinto fiasco. So did a lot of other manufacturers, except for Toyota it appears........Your welcome to join the rest of us here in the 21st Century any time you like. It's nice here!

There was a time when I bought Toyota or Honda because they gave me something the the domostics weren't giving me..."Reliability" and dealer service during the warranty period. Should I have and issue with one of the cars under warranty, they(Toy/Hon) took car of it! Unlike the domestics car dealerships who avoided me like the plague and actually blamed me for the cars problem or broken part. I know that this dealer service that I received from the forign car dealerships isn't universal across the board but this was my good experience(for years!).

I will not be buying Toyota any time soon as I have seen their quality going down since I made my last purchace and this in not acceptable. I don't know what I'll buy next. I certainly would buy domestic these days as their quality has come a long way and so has their dealer service. Plus I really like their product. I beleive that most of the domestic car dealerships have gotten rid of most of the @$$#*!&$ that I had to deal with in the past. Beleive me, I will not put up with these kinds of sales/service practices. These people were @$$#*!&$. You wouldn't beleive it! This is what drove me to buy forign! Now I beleive I will be comming back. Or at least not buying Toyota's

I havent been in a toyota since the mid 1990's. However, lat year when car shopping I looked at the RAV4 and was very surprised to see that they still use the amber colored dash and radio lighting. That was the biggest put off for me. I know it seems trivial, but mix things up a little jeezzz...

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
There was a time when I bought Toyota or Honda because they gave me something the the domostics weren't giving me..."Reliability" and dealer service during the warranty period. Should I have and issue with one of the cars under warranty, they(Toy/Hon) took car of it! Unlike the domestics car dealerships who avoided me like the plague and actually blamed me for the cars problem or broken part. I know that this dealer service that I received from the forign car dealerships isn't universal across the board but this was my good experience(for years!).

I will not be buying Toyota any time soon as I have seen their quality going down since I made my last purchace and this in not acceptable. I don't know what I'll buy next. I certainly would buy domestic these days as their quality has come a long way and so has their dealer service. Plus I really like their product. I beleive that most of the domestic car dealerships have gotten rid of most of the @$$#*!&$ that I had to deal with in the past. Beleive me, I will not put up with these kinds of sales/service practices. These people were @$$#*!&$. You wouldn't beleive it! This is what drove me to buy forign! Now I beleive I will be comming back. Or at least not buying Toyota's

I want to come back to domestics too. I would like a GMC. Those are some nice looking SUV's!

I remember the Firestone tire fiasco and personally, I would never even consider them when tire change time rolls around (sorry).

I have Firestone Destination LE on my Xterra and they are actually great tires. Holding up well and treadwear is good. I think when a company is brought to the spotlight, it causes them to have better products in the end, or go out of business!

Originally Posted By: rszappa1
Nor would I trust FORD wanting people to only put 26psi in the tires on the Explorer....

You really hold a grudge, don't you? I don't trust Toyota telling dealerships to cut a half an inch off the bottom of the gas pedal to fix this problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back