Toyota Oil Filter Mishap

Changing oil in a Highlander and pulled out old filter and too many parts came out. I tried to twist it back in
but the "ears" in the middle won't let me get it back in place. Any suggestions?

IMG_6439.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't tell based on the picture but that is meant to come out and go back in so unless you bent or broke something there should be a way to click it into place.

BTW - very easy to double gasket those cars. Not good. The drain plug bolt has a gasket that sometimes find itself stuck to the oil pan. Either reuse the old one or knock it off and use a new one.

You can’t twist it in with those center tabs.

You could bend the tabs like greasymechtech said but we didn’t have to.

BTW - very easy to double gasket those cars. Not good. The drain plug bolt has a gasket that sometimes find itself stuck to the oil pan. Either reuse the old one or knock it off and use a new one.
Amen!! The blue gasket material rips off and sticks to pan or drain bolt.

? They are a canister filter so unless you put an oring on top of an oring you can’t double gasket it.

? They are a canister filter so unless you put an oring on top of an oring you can’t double gasket it.
I think he meant double-drain-plug-washer it, not double-gasket the filter cover.
"Canister" is a confusing term, when some people think it refers to spin-on filters, while others believe it refers to cartridge filters.

Oh, and she has manicured nails. o_O

Got that old dark oil all over her 1 day old nails.

UPDATE!
Watching the CAR CAR NUT and in one of his YouTubes he said if the center post came out to not try and replace it.
He said you must buy a new oil filter cover. I trust his advice. We got a new one for $31.
Got a friend that has a Sienna with the 2GR-FE, his spring is missing and the tube is somehow stuck to the top. So when he removes the canister, there is nothing inside. He's been driving it like that for years. lol

Don't you love it when car companies take a simple device like an oil filter and "improve" it so now you have these issues? The worst example I can think of is the plastic oil filter housing on the Chrysler Pentastar. Already had to replace one of those on our '17 Jeep Wrangler.

UPDATE!
Watching the CAR CAR NUT and in one of his YouTubes he said if the center post came out to not try and replace it.
He said you must buy a new oil filter cover. I trust his advice. We got a new one for $31.
Why can’t it be reinstalled? Why must you buy a new cover?

Its not hard for them to come loose. So long as all parts present and installed correctly, I don’t see the issue.

Why can’t it be reinstalled? Why must you buy a new cover?

Its not hard for them to come loose. So long as all parts present and installed correctly, I don’t see the issue.
I don’t exactly know. Check out his YouTube.
I guess I just trust him enough to not really question him on this particular issue. I’ll try and see if I can link the YouTube

Back