Toyota Landcruiser VDJ76R V8 4.5L Turbo Diesel

Hi all, long time reader, and I finally have some questions that I can't find the answers to in existing posts. I have recently purchased a 2019 Toyota Landcruiser 76 series, with a 4.5L V8 single turbo diesel engine, 2019 model. The manufacturers requirement is for a C2 oil, with 0w30 weight preferred, or 5w30 otherwise. The vehicle has a DPF, and EGR. It has no engine modifications, or any kind of aftermarket tune. I live in Sydney, Australia where at the coldest it's 0 degrees celsius, and in summer is above 40 degrees celsius.

I have access to Havoline ProDS f 0w30 engine oil for an excellent price. it is 0w30, and ACEA C2. I intend to use this for the remainder of the warranty period. Now for my questions:
1. Is there any reason why Havoline ProDS f is not a good choice of oil
2. The manufacturer calls for 10,000km/6 month oil change intervals. I will often not do 10,000km in 6 months. Is there any reason why (apart from warranty) that I should not extend it to 10,000km/12 months? I have never had to change oil at 6 months on any other vehicle before.
3. Once the warranty is over, what oil should I choose? My reading on here tells me a C3 will have the same properties as the C2, but with possibly better protection. What viscosity should I choose? I was thinking 5w40, given the temps where i live. Or should i stick to 0w30/5w30? Is there an API rating I can use instead?

cheers,

Dan

Attachments

• image (30).jpg
    image (30).jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 69
2. The manufacturer calls for 10,000km/6 month oil change intervals. I will often not do 10,000km in 6 months. Is there any reason why (apart from warranty) that I should not extend it to 10,000km/12 months? I have never had to change oil at 6 months on any other vehicle before.
3. Once the warranty is over, what oil should I choose? My reading on here tells me a C3 will have the same properties as the C2, but with possibly better protection. What viscosity should I choose? I was thinking 5w40, given the temps where i live. Or should i stick to 0w30/5w30? Is there an API rating I can use instead?
Welcome onboard!

1 & 3: Either Havoline or the Genuine Toyota Motor Oil posted above will do well. That being said, the same application has a viscosity vs. temperature chart for the Middle East market. Is this the same in Australia, or do they actually require 0W-30/5W-30? If you are using a 5W-40 once the warranty is out, make sure it has an API CK-4 rating for emissions.

2. While you probably could extend it to 12 months, it's best to play by the manufacturer's rules during the warranty period.

One thing I would definitely recommend if you do a lot of off-roading is keep an eye on the air filter. A snorkel is a great thing to have, I like that they come with those from the factory!

Welcome onboard!

1 & 3: Either Havoline or the Genuine Toyota Motor Oil posted above will do well. That being said, the same application has a viscosity vs. temperature chart for the Middle East market. Is this the same in Australia, or do they actually require 0W-30/5W-30? If you are using a 5W-40 once the warranty is out, make sure it has an API CK-4 rating for emissions.

2. While you probably could extend it to 12 months, it's best to play by the manufacturer's rules during the warranty period.

One thing I would definitely recommend if you do a lot of off-roading is keep an eye on the air filter. A snorkel is a great thing to have, I like that they come with those from the factory!
In my owners manual, 0w30 or 5w30 are the only acceptable viscocities, and it must be ACEA C2.

Attachments

• image003.jpg
    image003.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 70
  • image002.jpg
    image002.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 69
in so many words they’re saying don’t **** around and buy TGMO C2. they want the maximum possible ESP and fuel economy in your market

in the middle east where they come fully deleted you can use whatever you want

Last edited:
Hi all, long time reader, and I finally have some questions that I can't find the answers to in existing posts. I have recently purchased a 2019 Toyota Landcruiser 76 series, with a 4.5L V8 single turbo diesel engine, 2019 model. The manufacturers requirement is for a C2 oil, with 0w30 weight preferred, or 5w30 otherwise. The vehicle has a DPF, and EGR. It has no engine modifications, or any kind of aftermarket tune. I live in Sydney, Australia where at the coldest it's 0 degrees celsius, and in summer is above 40 degrees celsius.

I have access to Havoline ProDS f 0w30 engine oil for an excellent price. it is 0w30, and ACEA C2. I intend to use this for the remainder of the warranty period. Now for my questions:

cheers,

Dan
1. There's no reason not to go with Havoline. Chevron is a great oil manufacturer.
2. It depends on how frequently you drive your Land Cruiser and also the driving conditions you go through. It may be due to the purpose of the vehicle, which is an off-road capable vehicle, of which severe driving conditions may be met. If your vehicle is market-specific (Australia), it may also be due to the expected ambient temperatures that your vehicle will be in when the vehicle is not running, which may accelerate oil breakdown ever so slightly (my hypothesis).
3. (a) Usually the manufacturer will only honor the warranty should any defects arise if the vehicle registers a full dealer/authorized shop service history before the issue presented itself. In your case it will include using TGMO or an approved substitute oil if the issue is caused by ineffective lubrication. I suggest using the dealer/authorized shop oil until your warranty expires.
(b) My personal recommendation is Shell Helix Ultra ECT 0W-30 (can be C2/C3 or C3), just from my experience with Shell lubricants. But ask 10 different BITOGers, you'll get 10 different answers, so do you research and read up on reviews and tests, and choose the one you like best.

(b) My personal recommendation is Shell Helix Ultra ECT 0W-30 (can be C2/C3 or C3), just from my experience with Shell lubricants. But ask 10 different BITOGers, you'll get 10 different answers, so do you research and read up on reviews and tests, and choose the one you like best.
That's what I'd use since it's MB229.52 and Porsche C30, some of the best ACEA C2/C3 oil you can get.

I had a '95 FZJ 80.

A fine SUV, with solid axles and lockers front and rear.

Unfortunately it had a gas engine, and auto trans.

What I would give for a 76 series like the OP's...
Ditto - or ANY Toyota diesel powered vehicle....

I don't recall the 70 series being available in the States.

When was this?
the BJ70 was available in canada.

around the same time the notoriously terrible turbodiesel pickup was offered in the states

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. The toyota 76 series is indeed an awesome car. I have lusted after one for years, and finally got one. It is everything I imagined it would be.

Back