Toyota Hybrid CVT trans question

My girlfriend is looking at trading her 15 Avalon for a 21 since we heard they are going away. Here in the Mid-Atlantic they seem to have a lot of Hybrids and are offering $2k cash back on all Avalons. The Hybrid is appealing but I've never cared for CVT trannys. Can anyone offer any encourage about this Hybrid CVT setup? I know Toyota Hybrids seem to be good.
That big smooth car getting 45 mpg is very appealing.

If it eases your mind any, it is not a traditional belt-style CVT.
+1
The CVT automatic Toyota is using in their hybrids has a planetary gearset which blends power from the engine and electric motor. They have been extraordinarily reliable and durable. The Avalon Hybrid gives-up some horsepower from the 3.5L V/6 but gains significant gas mileage.

Toyota does not have any widespread problems with their hybrid transmissions :)

The Avalon is not a huge seller, which is why Toyota will stop making them after next year, and thus why there is a discount even now.

Like others have said, Toyota hybrids use an eCVT and are vastly different than a belt or cone driven CVT. Toyota eCVTs are solid units.

Here is an excellent video that dives into the P710 transmission found in the Avalon Hybrid.

I watched these Weber videos and ended up with a 2019 RAV4 Hybrid. Solid design and it works really well.
I'm driving a gas 2019 RAV4, and the Hybrid version is so much better in power delivery and drivability.
Not sure why they still sell gas only versions - probably a price point thing.

Since you are all talking about them--is there any reason to change the "lifetime" atf? I have one of these transmissions in my Highlander. I asked in another forum and was told that there just isn't that much metal to metal contact going on.

No problems at all with mine, just asking about preventative maintenance, that's all.

Since you are all talking about them--is there any reason to change the "lifetime" atf? I have one of these transmissions in my Highlander. I asked in another forum and was told that there just isn't that much metal to metal contact going on.

No problems at all with mine, just asking about preventative maintenance, that's all.
Same reason to change the differential fluid, to remove metal particles and renew the add packs on the fluid.
They may be less tress on the eCVT fluid due to the different gear type, but same reasoning would apply.

I might use the dreaded WS atf in mine when the time comes. Not sure yet, but since there is no TC to heat up the oil or nor clutches to put material into the oil, I’m not sure this atf is under a heavy strain.

On a side but related note, i found driving my 1.5L Prius, when first obtained, particularly "different" than a regular car. I posted a while back about it, but it basically is tied to the fact that the engine sound isn't equivalent to any specific speed. This is probably true for a lot of CVTs but with the prius it is especially so. This isn't related to just acceleration, but also highway driving; without cruise, i found it difficult to maintain a constant speed (at first)

I have grown to love the car; I just had to unplug my previous car experience and relearn how this newfangled thing works. JMO

My eCVT has been trouble free years before and after other mfg travails w/ regular CVTs

It is still worth changing the fluid on, and Toyota makes it easy. There is a drain plug, so there is no issue.

Get one now, I think you'll more than enjoy it. Good idea with the hybrid version, I'd do the same.

I watched these Weber videos and ended up with a 2019 RAV4 Hybrid. Solid design and it works really well.
I'm driving a gas 2019 RAV4, and the Hybrid version is so much better in power delivery and drivability.
Not sure why they still sell gas only versions - probably a price point thing.
I have driven loaner Lexus UX 200 's (non-hybrid) for ~1500 miles.

You are so correct !

My UX 250h (hybrid) is miles better.

OP, this is not your grandfather's CVT.

1) It's super easy, just like a diff. Drain/Fill
2) There are no tiny passage ways to clog or clutch packs disintegrating or whatever, so you won't torpedo it by changing the fluid.
3) As stated, just like a diff. Why NOT change it? No voodoo involved here like with a DCT or conventional slush box.

Personally, I sold cars back when CVT first kindof came out mainstream in the early 2000's with the Ford 500 and Freestyle. I thought it was an AMAZING concept, just lacked durability. It reminded me of an old school powerglide with a 6000rpm stall, but without the wasted heat and energy. WAY better way to get power under the curve as well as prevent downshifting time from delaying acceleration. It's just...excellent. Toyota's eCVT manages to also be reliable. Look at the 30-50 acceleration in t he RAV4 Prime. Identical to a new Supra 3.0.

At 145K miles the eCVT in my Highlander Hybrid is as smooth as butter.

OK I saw a great video from the CarCareNut on youtube about doing just this. I'll take this on after I get dashcams installed. On my list.

Last edited:
The Toyota eCVT is rock solid for the most part. The “CVT” portion is the hybrid vehicle ECU and the inverter controlling the two motors and the power-split device(planetary gear) blending the three motors together.

Easy maintenance - a spill and fill every 30K.

My girlfriend is looking at trading her 15 Avalon for a 21 since we heard they are going away. Here in the Mid-Atlantic they seem to have a lot of Hybrids and are offering $2k cash back on all Avalons. The Hybrid is appealing but I've never cared for CVT trannys. Can anyone offer any encourage about this Hybrid CVT setup? I know Toyota Hybrids seem to be good.
That big smooth car getting 45 mpg is very appealing.
Bad CVT usually has belt / pulley or toroidal drive that friction surfaces hold them together and adjusted continuously. If they slip metal particles get into ATF, and will cause it to self destruct very quickly.

Toyota style hybrid CVT is planetary gear based like automatic transmission, they just use 2 electric motor / generator to move electricity from one to another to adjust the speed and torque. Gear driven not friction driven, they don't wear out. The 1st gen Prius had stator insulation problem but 2nd gen and beyond has almost indestructible CVT. Battery may wear out but not the CVT itself. No torque converter, friction band, brakes, dog gear, etc.

I might use the dreaded WS atf in mine when the time comes. Not sure yet, but since there is no TC to heat up the oil or nor clutches to put material into the oil, I’m not sure this atf is under a heavy strain.
Some people are concerned metal particle may cause electrical / magnetic insulation to be different as they build up. I'd just do a drain and refill as it is cheap insurance.

Back