Toyota Hybrid CVT trans question

Thanks all for the info. Sorry I haven't replied but was out of town. It seems I got some bad information on the numbers of cars. I must have been on a site that listed all 300 Avalons in the US. GF and I went to Oursman Toyota which is a very large multi store/brand dealership in the DC metro area. Their lot was pretty bare. We eventually ended up talking to the inventory mgr. whose name was Arlo Guthrie.(for real). He told us it was the chip shortage that was affecting Toyota also. He said that right then they had 14 new Toyotas on their lot. That was total, all models. They sold 2 while we were there. They probably sell 14 a day normally. They only had 1 Avalon and it was a hybrid so we drove it. GF drives it first and floors it. She drives with a heavy foot. It had plenty of go power. I drove it on the way back and kept it in the econ area on the big gauge and it was smooth and silent. Turns out she is not interested in a hybrid because she thinks there are going to be big problems in the future with the used up batteries. She may be right.
Arlo told us that they might get 6 cars on a truck and 4 of them would be already sold. He found a 22 Avalon Ltd V6 that is being built end of this month and they would have it 2 weeks later. She put a deposit on it. The crazy thing is that there are incentives on these cars. $2k or 60 month 0% financing. Why would they have incentives on cars they can't produce enough of. Arlo couldn't answer that either.

Some people are concerned metal particle may cause electrical / magnetic insulation to be different as they build up. I'd just do a drain and refill as it is cheap insurance.
I agree, although it is basically the same as the one in the Prius, and i am not aware of issues there.

No torque converter, friction band, brakes, dog gear, etc.
The new Multi-Mode Hybrid Toyota introduced on the Lexus LS500h/LC500h is an evolution of the RWD hybrid unit that was used on the LS600hL/GS450h. It adds on a 4-speed automatic gearbox but without the torque converter. It does have 10 “speeds”.

The previous version of that unit had an additional planetary gearset.

Back