Toyota has massive profits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dave1251
Because CR is inaccurate and has been for years. The larger Toyota's market share the higher the percentage of recalls. Toyota is now 7th best in recall rate and overall recalls at 5.3 million for 2014.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jimgorzelany...t-recall-rates/

You interpret the data wrong. If you look at the total number of cars vs the actual repairs required, toyota is in fact the most reliable car in the world. Consumerreports is in fact very accurate. Look at repairs and not just one time recalls.

Last edited:
The recall rate for Toyota has been trending upward for 5 years. Don't present opinion as fact.

Dependability study.

http://www.jdpower.com/press-releases/2014-vehicle-dependability-study

Still 7th.

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/10/...=blogs&_r=0

Explains the differences and inaccuracy of J.D. Power's study and Consumer Reports "survey".
"In that regard alone, the J.D. Power dependability study is different from the Consumer Reports predicted-reliability study. The J.D. Power study looks at one model year over a three-year period, while the Consumer Reports survey looks at three model years — in the case of a 2013 model, for example, Consumer Reports looks at the 2012, 2011 and 2010 model years.

As for the J.D. Power studies of initial quality and vehicle dependability, “we see a strong correlation between how a model performs in I.Q.S. and how they perform in V.D.S.,” said Raffi Festekjian, director of automotive research at J.D. Power & Associates. Those that perform well coming out of the gate are more likely to sustain that quality and dependability over those next three years than those that begin with poor initial quality, he said.

The key in comparing these two J.D. Power studies is to look at different years. A consumer would have to compare the 2012 Vehicle Dependability Study to the 2009 Initial Quality Study to see how the 2009 models held up over three years."

Toyota is above average. Not the best.

Must say at 90,000 miles my camry (2AZ-FE) is losing it's shine... hydraulic belt tensioner leaks, brakes that always wobble and cannot be fixed, the cabin is not watertight - it leaks in the rain, fan switch malfunction, electric clock not functioning last 60,000, seal replacement at 90k, now CEL after seal replacement... not sure if my next will be Toyota actually.

I have been buying Toyota trucks since 1985. In my opinion the quality has improved over the years. Like any mass produced vehicle you will have some concerns that come up. After 30 years of owning the brand, I still see no reason to switch back to GM products.

Originally Posted By: crinkles
Must say at 90,000 miles my camry (2AZ-FE) is losing it's shine... hydraulic belt tensioner leaks, brakes that always wobble and cannot be fixed, the cabin is not watertight - it leaks in the rain, fan switch malfunction, electric clock not functioning last 60,000, seal replacement at 90k, now CEL after seal replacement... not sure if my next will be Toyota actually.

You know what's wrong with your story? It doesn't involve GM, Ford or Chrysler. Everyone knows that Toyota made a bazillion of reliable cars, so your individual account is not relevant, but had it been about a domestic brand, it would be clear proof that all of their cars are junk.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Originally Posted By: crinkles

You know what's wrong with your story? It doesn't involve GM, Ford or Chrysler. Everyone knows that Toyota made a bazillion of reliable cars, so your individual account is not relevant, but had it been about a domestic brand, it would be clear proof that all of their cars are junk.

+1.

Originally Posted By: Amkeer
I have been buying Toyota trucks since 1985. In my opinion the quality has improved over the years. Like any mass produced vehicle you will have some concerns that come up. After 30 years of owning the brand, I still see no reason to switch back to GM products.

4 years ago, I tried to help an angry customer who saw things differently. He had a toyota pickup truck during the 80s, and talked about how little he had to due over 220,000 miles of service. When I showed him that at 180K his 1999 Tacoma needed a power steering rack, new ball joints, and outer tierod ends, the guy went into rage mode.

I then pointed out how much more money in repairs he would have spent on every other compact truck. It didn't calm him down much, but I guess I got the point across.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
The recall rate for Toyota has been trending upward for 5 years. Don't present opinion as fact.

Dependability study.

http://www.jdpower.com/press-releases/2014-vehicle-dependability-study

Still 7th.

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/10/...=blogs&_r=0

Explains the differences and inaccuracy of J.D. Power's study and Consumer Reports "survey".
"In that regard alone, the J.D. Power dependability study is different from the Consumer Reports predicted-reliability study. The J.D. Power study looks at one model year over a three-year period, while the Consumer Reports survey looks at three model years — in the case of a 2013 model, for example, Consumer Reports looks at the 2012, 2011 and 2010 model years.

As for the J.D. Power studies of initial quality and vehicle dependability, “we see a strong correlation between how a model performs in I.Q.S. and how they perform in V.D.S.,” said Raffi Festekjian, director of automotive research at J.D. Power & Associates. Those that perform well coming out of the gate are more likely to sustain that quality and dependability over those next three years than those that begin with poor initial quality, he said.

The key in comparing these two J.D. Power studies is to look at different years. A consumer would have to compare the 2012 Vehicle Dependability Study to the 2009 Initial Quality Study to see how the 2009 models held up over three years."

Toyota is above average. Not the best.

Thank you Dave.

I won't use CR to raise a puppy. They extrapolate a LOT of their data practically out of thin air, like their reliability surveys that do not even verify ownership! ANYONE can send one in. Great data yield great results.

No car mfgr canbe perfect, and the more cars you make the more likely you are to have dissatisfied clients. There's just no way to avoid it.

But all these 'stat quoters' forget that none of this applies to individual cars. Only GROUPS of cars.

Buy what you like for whatever reason you like it. It may run forever, or it may not. Buy enough and you will eventually get a bad vehicle...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back