Toyota has massive profits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
they made great cars they now make ok cars..

Their 1ZZ-FE motor is REALLY impressive, its mostly mated to a 4 speed auto and in the corollas people get 34-36mpg easily.

My wife's celica does 36+ mpg highway crusing @ 80 Mph.

the 06 camry with 2AZ-FE(though it burns oil in city driving) does 33-34 mpg with a 5 speed auto...its a HUGE car.

They have all been RIDICULOUSLY reliable...why do you think they are the top of the world selling cars.

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
Their 1ZZ-FE motor is REALLY impressive, its mostly mated to a 4 speed auto and in the corollas people get 34-36mpg easily.

My '07 Corolla had the excellent little 1ZZ-FE mated to the okay-but-still-fun 5-speed manual. That was a sublime little powertrain package. I wish I still had that car. Of the many engines I've owned throughout the years, including at least five V-8s, three V-6s, and five I-4s, that 1ZZ-FE is one of my favorites.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07

Complete nonsense.

How is it complete nonsense? Do they make any good sports cars? Is their reliability head and shoulders above the other makes like in the past? They still make good cars, but not as good as they used to.

Last edited:
2014 Swagger Wagon checking in.
smile.gif

[/quote]
How is it complete nonsense? Do they make any good sports cars? Is their reliability head and shoulders above the other makes like in the past? They still make good cars, but not as good as they used to. [/quote]

The other companies have caught up on reliability. Remember Lexus is a Toyota.
Ever heard of the LFA?

http://www.lexus.com/models/LFA/

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
They did a great job redesigning the Corolla.

Finally!

Originally Posted By: whip

Complete nonsense.

How is it complete nonsense? Do they make any good sports cars? Is their reliability head and shoulders above the other makes like in the past? They still make good cars, but not as good as they used to.

While I agree, Toyota's overall quality has dropped somewhat over the years, they're still at least as good as any of the others out there...the main reason they aren't head and shoulders better now is mostly because the others have improved dramatically...whether Toyota makes any sports cars or not has nothing to do with it...

Originally Posted By: rshaw125

The other companies have caught up on reliability. Remember Lexus is a Toyota.
Ever heard of the LFA?

http://www.lexus.com/models/LFA/

I've seen the LFA in person. It's a $400,000+ car that took 10 years to develop, and it didn't set the bar for anything. it was only just as good as any of it's competitors. Where are cars like the Supra, Celica, and MR2? Nissan has the GT-R, and Acura is coming out with the new NSX. Will Toyota compete, or let the other 2 have all the fun?

I've owned 2 older Corollas. They were bullet proof. They didn't break. I can't say that about the new ones. One of them I sold with over 300,000 miles, and it was still going strong.

Originally Posted By: grampi
...whether Toyota makes any sports cars or not has nothing to do with it...

Why?

Complete nonsense.

Sports cars have nothing to do with it.

Toyota has NEVER made better cars than right now. They have only gotten better even considering recent recalls.

Is their reliability today head and shoulders better than most other makes? YES,

I've owned 2 older Corollas. They were bullet proof. They didn't break. I can't say that about the new ones. One of them I sold with over 300,000 miles, and it was still going strong.

I don't know what you consider "older", but my '99 Corolla went 295K, and the '04 I have now just turned 210K with no signs of wearing out anytime soon...while they may not be built quite as well as they used to be, they're still pretty darn good...

Why?

What does making or not making sports cars have to do with how great or well built their vehicles are?

Originally Posted By: lovcom

Complete nonsense.

Sports cars have nothing to do with it.

Toyota has NEVER made better cars than right now. They have only gotten better even considering recent recalls.

Is their reliability today head and shoulders better than most other makes? YES,

Even I don't believe this and I'm an admitted Toyota lover. Toyota still makes very good vehicles, though not quite as good as they used to, but still very good. However, they aren't head and shoulders better than other makes mainly because most of the others have gotten much better...

I don't know what you consider "older", but my '99 Corolla went 295K, and the '04 I have now just turned 210K with no signs of wearing out anytime soon...while they may not be built quite as well as they used to be, they're still pretty darn good...

I had an 80 and an 88 Corolla. The 88 was still on it's original CV joints with over 300,000. No other car I've owned has done that. I doubt any Toyota built today could.
The 80 was rear wheel drive. Like the 88, just change the oil and drive. No problems with it.
As I said in my original post, they still make good cars, but not as good as they used to.

Why?

What does making or not making sports cars have to do with how great or well built their vehicles are?

This is the original post I responded to.

Complete nonsense.

To me, great means performance, reliability, and economy. Toyota of the 80's and 90's had all of that. If we want to focus just on reliability as the indicator of a car company's greatness, so be it.

Originally Posted By: lovcom

They've had their share of problems. Off the top of my head was the sludge issue in the 3.0 V6, the engine failures in the BRZ, rusting frames on the Tacoma. These things didn't happen in the 80's and 90's.
They make good vehicles, but they are not head and shoulders better.

I had an 80 and an 88 Corolla. The 88 was still on it's original CV joints with over 300,000. No other car I've owned has done that. I doubt any Toyota built today could.
The 80 was rear wheel drive. Like the 88, just change the oil and drive. No problems with it.
As I said in my original post, they still make good cars, but not as good as they used to.

My '99 CV joints lasted ~ 280K before one had to be replaced...my '04 still has the originals and I see no reason they won't go at least 300K...CV joints typically don't go bad unless the boot fails and they become exposed to the elements...

Last edited:
Where are cars like the Supra, Celica, and MR2? Nissan has the GT-R, and Acura is coming out with the new NSX. Will Toyota compete, or let the other 2 have all the fun?

The Scion tC is generally considered to be the successor to the Celica. There's also Toyota's joint venture with Subaru, the Scion FR-S.

I like Hondas - I have one in my garage that I love. Globally speaking though, Honda isn't in the same league Toyota, at least in terms of sales. Not that it matters, I suppose.

I agree that Toyota has let it's sporty side wither. However, over the past 15 years, as their sport offerings have arguably dwindled, we have seen Toyota become the biggest seller of hybrids. We have also seen Toyota bring a full-size pickup to market, along with a full-size BOF SUV, and numerous cross-overs.

Honda guys can point the finger and say where are Toyota's sports cars?

But the Toyota guys can say where are Honda's full size BOF SUVs? BOF pickup trucks? What happened to the Insight? What about the Integra/RSX? The NSX died too.

Lexus sales are also much, much higher than Acura and Infiniti.

But let's not pick on Honda and Nissan. We can pick on the Big Two, too. The Sienna and Odyssey are responsible for the death of GM and Ford's minivans.

Toyota has finite resources and they allocated those resources towards market segments other than sports cars. It's apparently paid off.

But an $80k two-door, RWD, V8 GT based on the LS would be sweet.

I think Toyotas are good cars. I just do not think they are the head of their class any more. Especially when it comes to the feeling of the interior. To me the newer Toyotas feel cheap compared to their competition. IMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back