Toyota Genuine Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
So this year old Corolla I have has been getting the 25k ToyotaCare oil changes with TGMO. I'm now done with my "free" checkups and wondering if TGMO is still a great oil. I searched the site and found a post from 2017 about TGMO but nothing newer. I may do my own changes here and there now but I know buying TGMO from the dealer means I may as well pay $10 extra and just have them do it. If I use something like PP or M1 myself I'll save about half cost. So, in 2018, what's the TGMO formulation difference compared to PP or M1 or other name brands? The convenience of free coffee, tire rotation, a pastry, a checkup of major components, not getting covered in oil, finding a place in winter to change it that's warm, etc. make me feel like I want to be lazy. But changing oil also gives me a purpose in life. Makes me feel accomplished. Makes me feel manly. It's just the apartment lease says I can't on apartment property...but I'm sure I could snag a friend's driveway or a back alley or something.

Plus, if your dealership is like mine, they over-fill the sump about every time they change the oil. I haven't noticed oil foaming on the dipstick, so last time they over-filled it I suppose it wasn't too much. Every time I change oil, I'm careful to get it right to the full line, and no more.
One friend of mine thought the technician was actually substituting one quart of used oil and taking the oil home or something, since he thought the oil looked a little too amber (he might be right).

On top of all this, what oil shops actually use better oil filters, like, of course, Fram Ultra, and/or Wix-NAPAGold? None.
Also, Walmart has great oil so cheap that its better to just buy that, and maybe even pocket an additional rebate on M1 or Pennzoil synthetics, for example.
For the non-DIY person, at least have those monkeys at Walmart use a Fram Ultra off the shelf there with your choice of synthetic oil from the store. Hope they do it right.

Last edited:
TGMO is good oil, not sure the pricing in US, but I'm sure it's over priced.

Just use a good oil that you can get with a rebate. PP would be my preference.

Where are you in the US to be worried about changing the oil in bad weather?

Those freebies at the stealership ain't free. Paid for by the customers.

Cmon, this is BITOG! I know I can be safe using any sale priced oil from WM, but what if TGMO is 12% better? What's the difference in formulations? My wife's car gets NAPA syn from me or a NAPA service place, so I'm familiar with 5qts for $15 when on sale. My old Civic got 5qts for $7.50 QSGB or QSUD, with some ST syn once in a while if I missed a sale. But why WOULD or SHOULD I possibly think TGMO is better (or not)? Any recent formulation VOA comparisons?

Also, my dealer hasn't overfilled yet. Plus they don't work on commission to avoid upsells and driving customers away, I was told. Their salesman don't either. If the dealership does well all employees get bonuses, but not sales commissions. Unlike a dealer closer to me that I need to take a shower after I leave. Place is shady. After 3 months and 9k miles told me for $50 I needed a new engine air filter. I said, "for $50 I'll replace it myself for $17 and take my wife out to dinner. In two years." It's this palatable dealership that's thrown a wrench in my spokes.

There's also a local Indy shop that charges $40 for a syn change. That's unheard of. Bulk synthetic either NAPA or Valvoline and NAPA Gold filters. They also have TV, free coffee, and donuts.

But seriously now, what's different about TGMO? Sell it to me.

Sounds like you would rather have dealer do it. If so, do that. Ive used anything and everything in mine. Feels like it does the day I bought it.

Its a great oil but having said that there are a lot of great oils on sale and with a rebate for less. Mobil and Pennzoil which I have used both of in my Corolla with good results fall into that category.

It's just oil. Change it yourself or pay someone to do it for you.

Originally Posted By: JC1
TGMO is good oil, not sure the pricing in US, but I'm sure it's over priced.

Just use a good oil that you can get with a rebate. PP would be my preference.

Where are you in the US to be worried about changing the oil in bad weather?

Those freebies at the stealership ain't free. Paid for by the customers.

I currently live in the land of 33-50 degree winter rain. Maybe some ice or snow thrown in for good measure a couple of times. Previously, I lived in the land of "will my car start because it's 3pm and -15 degrees F." So, Mr. Ontario, I know what cold weather is. But I also hate laying on wet ground in the cold rain." I've done it twice on the lady's car and it's possible, just annoying. Since we both put about 8-10k every 6 months I'll most likely do the summer changes and have somewhere do the winter ones.

But back to my question about TGMO. Where are the people who know what extra boost TGMO will give my high powered luxury sports sedan Corolla? If you've ever driven one you're laughing right now...

What happened to the overanalyzers of oil on here? Everyone is telling me to use whatever syn is on sale. So TGMO in 2018 doesn't have some propietary additive or extra moly or maple syrup to add flavor and exhaust scent? It's basically just another M1 or PP or ST? Or has BITOG just lost interest in it with all the other oils?

It's essentially Mobil super syn in a relabeled bottle, nothing exceptional. Mobil 1 and Pennzoil Platinum are all premium choices at a better price. Mobil super syn is the lower grade synthetic that stands in the shadow of M1. Sure it's great oil, but I wouldn't pay more for it when I could get M1 cheaper.

Toyota Corolla are not picky on oil I owned from 2012 to 2017 Corolla's.. 0w20 of your choice I am currently running Mobil 1 Green cap with a Mobil 1 filter in the wife's Corolla.

Originally Posted By: Oildudeny
Toyota Corolla are not picky on oil I owned from 2012 to 2017 Corolla's.. 0w20 of your choice I am currently running Mobil 1 Green cap with a Mobil 1 filter in the wife's Corolla.

This comment is spot on. Sounds like you are running M1 AFE which is excellent.

TGMO is fine.. However so is M1 or PP on rebate for cheap.

Walmart with 5qt jug of m1 $22.99 and $9.99 m1EP filter -(17$ rebate)=
Pennzoil has a 2$/qt rebate on PP so that comes out to about $14 or $15 + tax here. + whatever filter cost is.

Originally Posted By: HowAboutThis
So this year old Corolla I have has been getting the 25k ToyotaCare oil changes with TGMO. I'm now done with my "free" checkups and wondering if TGMO is still a great oil. I searched the site and found a post from 2017 about TGMO but nothing newer. I may do my own changes here and there now but I know buying TGMO from the dealer means I may as well pay $10 extra and just have them do it. If I use something like PP or M1 myself I'll save about half cost. So, in 2018, what's the TGMO formulation difference compared to PP or M1 or other name brands? The convenience of free coffee, tire rotation, a pastry, a checkup of major components, not getting covered in oil, finding a place in winter to change it that's warm, etc. make me feel like I want to be lazy. But changing oil also gives me a purpose in life. Makes me feel accomplished. Makes me feel manly. It's just the apartment lease says I can't on apartment property...but I'm sure I could snag a friend's driveway or a back alley or something.

Buy your own. It's nothing more than Mobil Super-Syn, a cut below Mobil-1, which is also a cut below two other Mobil-1s.

There's too many different Mobil-1s these days. Too confusing for the Average Joe that has no idea about this website..

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted By: HowAboutThis

Buy your own. It's nothing more than Mobil Super-Syn, a cut below Mobil-1, which is also a cut below two other Mobil-1s.

There's too many different Mobil-1s these days. Too confusing for the Average Joe that has no idea about this website..

So the VOA's show very similar to SuperSyn? That's bigly disappointing. I was thinking it had some miracle compound or something, like extra Moly or fresh ground pepper and bacon grease for friction and exhaust aroma. Doggone. Has it changed in the last few years? As a lurker of BITOG I remember people raving about TGMO. Then a search left me with nothing much thinking TGMO must be a TG-NO! with other offerings available.

As to the rest of your replies, yeah, I know any syn works and will work well. I also know a Corolla can run on leftover McD's fryer oil for half a million miles (slight hyperbole), but my specific question pertained to what TGMO looks like in comparison to others. If it's essentially SuperSyn, again, I'm saddened. Just ruined my day.

The older TGMO (from like 2014 or so) seemed to be a very robust oil, the current stuff, nothing special.

Nothing wrong with it (I also had the "free" oil changes done on my Scion for the first 25,000 miles), but nothing worth the extra cost.
Same for their filters, they are decent filters, and sometimes can be found in bulk for ~$5 or so each.

Or go to Walmart and get a Fram and Supertech filter for 1/2 (or 1/3) the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back