Toyota fined another 17.35 million

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what. Let them die, lose the jobs. If there is no market or if the product is inferior then pouring money in from the government is a short term band aid at best. I really did not appreciate my tax dollars going to this industry when what needed to happen was a market correction.

If the Chinese had bought them then the Chinese would now be the owners of this failing automaker and they would be taking the loss. Or, they would have made fundamental changes in GM that might have done some good for their long-term health. As it stands now you still have a bunch of overpaid workers assembling too many vehicles for a saturated market.

Nothing was gained by the government meddling in the free market, and a lot was lost - a lot of money. My money. Nothing's changed at GM that got them in trouble in the first place, so we got nothing for our money. Bankruptcy forces you to re-evaluate your business model and make difficult changes that are required for survival as a business.

Originally Posted By: whip
One question no one can answer is what would the cost to us be if GM had gone thru bankruptcy? What if like Chrysler, GM was bought by a foreign company? What if China or the Middle east bought them? What if they were bought, and each individual brand was sold. How many jobs could have been lost? Am I the only one that thinks it's a good idea to keep GM a US based company?

Originally Posted By: kschachn
So what. Let them die, lose the jobs....

......Nothing was gained by the government meddling in the free market, and a lot was lost - a lot of money. My money.

Yet your taxes didn't go up, and it cost you no real money. If they had done like you suggest, and 1,000's of jobs were lost, and the economy completely collapsed, you would have lost a lot more money.

Originally Posted By: Doog
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
One question no one can answer is what would the cost to us be if GM had gone thru bankruptcy?

Unless I'm mistaken, GM did go through bankruptcy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Motors_Chapter_11_reorganization

Exactly, but it was an illegal bankruptcy and the GM bondholders share was given to the UAW by Obama. (nice illegal payoff). Most people do not understand how many companies go through Chapter 11 and survive. They simply lack the basic understanding that in fact GM did go bankrupt and will probably go bankrupt again.

Bravo. Hit it directly on the head.

NO WAY would that much production capability and inventory, etc., have died at all. It would have VERY quickly reorganized under several new smaller companies and likely would have been just fine. And it would have shed the unsustainable ridiculously inflated retirement and payroll obligations it has with the unions.

The government should stay out of business. They are too good at losing money.

Excuse me are you really that ignorant? My taxes didn't go up because the government borrowed the money from the Chinese you seem to despise so much.

And the economy collapse because GM went under? Give me a break.

......Nothing was gained by the government meddling in the free market, and a lot was lost - a lot of money. My money.

Yet your taxes didn't go up, and it cost you no real money. If they had done like you suggest, and 1,000's of jobs were lost, and the economy completely collapsed, you would have lost a lot more money.

Excuse me are you really that ignorant? My taxes didn't go up because the government borrowed the money from the Chinese you seem to despise so much.

And the economy collapse because GM went under? Give me a break.

Your response makes me wonder who the ignorant one really is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back