Toyota fined another 17.35 million

Status
Not open for further replies.
The government is competing with Toyota as they own massive amounts of stock in GM that was purchased with your tax dollars. The reliability ratings in consumer reports indicates the government owned entity cannot compete from a reliability perspective with Toyota. Could this be a case of if wee can't beat them in the marketplace, fine them?

Originally Posted By: Artem
I'll still buy a Toyota / Honda over any American designed auto...

as is your right to.

however there is many things never mentioned.

there were recalls for bad brake pads on 2008 honda accords for example.

The stuff just keeps piling up for Toyota. They are obviously having big problems somewhere along the line.

Just how slow was Toyota?

Considering that the problem is nothing more than a floor mat that MIGHT be in the wrong place.....

You have to use commonsense here...it is getting ridiculous when floor mats can occasionally out of position POSSIBLY causing the accelerator to depressed become the thing of fine after fine after fine.

No product is EVER going to be PERFECTLY safe no matter how much the manufacturers try. The more it costs them to IDIOT PROOF the vehicles the more it is going to cost us all, eventually we won't be able to afford any vehicles!

It is OUR responsibility as owner operators to know how to drive and properly operate a vehivle, and ALSO just as much our responsibility to know how to react in emergency situations.

First you are the owner should be checking things that might obstruct controls. And knowing how to react when something goes wrong. Like knowing the SIMPLE fact that shifting into neutral and steering the car to a safe place for example.

It's one thing if a cars fuel system is defectively designed and will cause the vehicle to unexpectedly burst into flame, it is another thing if a mat shifts into a position where the pedal MIGHT get pushed on.

No commonsense in the USA today!

Narrator: A new car built by my company leaves somewhere traveling at 60 mph. The rear differential locks up. The car crashes and burns with everyone trapped inside. Now, should we initiate a recall? Take the number of vehicles in the field, A, multiply by the probable rate of failure, B, multiply by the average out-of-court settlement, C. A times B times C equals X. If X is less than the cost of a recall, we don't do one.
Woman on plane: Are there a lot of these kinds of accidents?
Narrator: You wouldn't believe.
Woman on plane: Which car company do you work for?
Narrator: A major one.

Fight Club

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Is this new pedal entrapment in 2012? I thought we went through this already in 2010?

The article indicated that it stemmed from a June recall on some Lexus vehicles.

I do not know about previous years but the 2013 Honda Accord has floor mats with eye holes and hooks in the floor that go through the eye holes so the mat can not slide around.

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
I do not know about previous years but the 2013 Honda Accord has floor mats with eye holes and hooks in the floor that go through the eye holes so the mat can not slide around.

Same with my 99 Expedition, 05 Mustang, and 2000 Volvo.

I have 2003, 2006, and 2010 toyotas and all have the same holes and hooks deal and one has to be careless to produce an entrapment. It can happen though. I had it once when one of the cars came back from a repair shop, they vacuumed the car and "forgot" to hook the mats.

Originally Posted By: Joe1

The government is competing with Toyota as they own massive amounts of stock in GM that was purchased with your tax dollars. The reliability ratings in consumer reports indicates the government owned entity cannot compete from a reliability perspective with Toyota. Could this be a case of if wee can't beat them in the marketplace, fine them?

But I thought that Consumer's Reports ratings were controlled by the liberal media with their own agenda? Sorry, I'm having a difficult time keeping all of the conspiracies straight.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
Narrator: A new car built by my company leaves somewhere traveling at 60 mph. The rear differential locks up. The car crashes and burns with everyone trapped inside. Now, should we initiate a recall? Take the number of vehicles in the field, A, multiply by the probable rate of failure, B, multiply by the average out-of-court settlement, C. A times B times C equals X. If X is less than the cost of a recall, we don't do one.
Woman on plane: Are there a lot of these kinds of accidents?
Narrator: You wouldn't believe.
Woman on plane: Which car company do you work for?
Narrator: A major one.

Fight Club

Ford, meet Pinto. Pinto, meet Ford.

Originally Posted By: Artem
I'll still buy a Toyota / Honda over any American designed auto...
Toyota knows you will, why they would rather head to court...with fat wallets padded by loyalists...than put out a recall.

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA

As does every single Toyota involved in the recall I think, including two that I owned. Yes, if the owner installs the floormats correctly, as outlined in the owner's manual, it's physically impossible for the mat to get trapped under the gas pedal.

This was simply another example of a company being forced to "idiot-proof" a design to save us from ourselves.

Glad to hear it. It appears they aren't learning, maybe a $25,000,000 fine might be a better teacher.

To my knowledge, Toyota floor mats in recent years have not just one, but TWO hooks to make sure they won't get bunched up under the gas pedal.

Before the "stuck gas pedal" thing that prompted Ray LaHood to rashly advise Toyota owners to park their cars because they were "unsafe", the NHTSA did not bother to respond to complaints until the total number of complaints went over 1,000.

Anybody can file a complaint, and anybody does. The NHTSA set the 1,000 threshold based on the realization that, on investigation, most complaints are found to be groundless, or to have to do with the operator rather than the vehicle.

Note that the article states that the NHTSA knows of 97 complaints. Until very recently, 97 complaints would have been 903 complaints short of an investigation. Toyota was fined for, apparently, not responding quickly enough. However, the NHTSA requires automakers to report once they become aware of a systemic problem, and there's where things get very gray: When does Toyota's knowledge graduate from acknowledgement of a few incidents to awareness of a systemic problem? At one time it took a thousand. Now it takes...? Somebody's arbitrary opinion? I suspect this latest fine has little to do with safety.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back