Toyota dominates study of longest lasting vehicles including full size pickups

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no problem with this. Toyota makes incredibly durable vehicles and thinks twice before implementing newer, "better" technology before it's vetted by others. It's a formula that's worked for them and i wouldn't change a thing.

Originally Posted by JHZR2
I don't know that I give much credence to this.

Truedelta.com took real world owner reports and parsed the data. It's accurate, and eye opening. Toyota took top honors. Of particular interest, the most reliable Toyota was an order of magnitude better than the typical Volkswagen Passat.

I think Michael ran out of money or dedication and the truedelta site is no longer active, the data is still valid. His information had no agenda and it was not "initial quality" or some other silliness.

His site shows the following:

The most reliable car: Camry
The most reliable pickup: Tundra
The most reliable brand: Toyota

Last edited:
Honda scored 5/17! Im happy by those numbers considering there is more than 17 brands of cars. I'll do my thoughts on how Honda compares especially against Toyota. Toyota is a bit more rugged and takes more abuse/neglect than Honda. I think Honda will run longer on proper maintenance schedule IMO and their suspension ride is a tad smoother.. I still like Honda OPE,Motorcycles,Generators, and Airplanes better! I didnt see them on the list either which in their respectively category would probably have won that too

All the data aside, they can only be comparing gas 1/2 ton trucks to gas 1/2 ton trucks, because there are tons of diesel and gas 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks that the Tundra can just not compete with.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by wemay
I have no problem with this. Toyota makes incredibly durable vehicles and thinks twice before implementing newer, "better" technology before it's vetted by others. It's a formula that's worked for them and i wouldn't change a thing.
Good point. The Japanese have always let other manufacturers/countries do their R&D work. The transistor being only one example. Within 20 years of acquiring the technology, American TV and audio manufacturers were out of business. They just refine others innovations.

Originally Posted by tig1
For the last 35 years 100% of my Fords have over 200K with my 91 Ranger at 354K. These charts mean nothing to me. Fake News. My grandsons 2002 Toyota was a piece of junk. He now owns a 2012 Ford Fusion with 140K and loves it. That's our experience.

I'll take data from millions of car owners over "your experience".

Originally Posted by Starman2112
For the last 35 years 100% of my Fords have over 200K with my 91 Ranger at 354K. These charts mean nothing to me. Fake News. My grandsons 2002 Toyota was a piece of junk. He now owns a 2012 Ford Fusion with 140K and loves it. That's our experience.

I'll take data from millions of car owners over "your experience".

The data says most cars don't make it to 200k and 2% of Prius make it

Originally Posted by Ws6
WHAT!? The Audi TT beat out the 5.0/4.6L Mustang and LT1/LS1 F-bodies? The Preludes and Integras? The Supras?

I am legit astounded.

All of the other categories make sense, but the "Sports Car" one is a total baffler to me.

I agree, the info seems nonsense. An X3, and Audi TT?!
If that's the case, where's the plethora of reliable Volvo's including the Xc60
confused2.gif

Originally Posted by ls1mike
All the data aside, they can only be comparing gas 1/2 ton trucks to gas 1/2 ton trucks, because there are tons of diesel and gas 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks that the Tundra can just not compete with.

Right, Toyota cannot beat Chevy in the HD pickup space, but that is only because Toyota does not sell one. For that we can look at Consumer Reports USED CARS TO AVOID list from the 2019 used car buying guide:

Silverado 1500 ‘17
Silverado 2500HD ‘11, ‘14, ‘16-18
Silverado 3500HD ‘15, ‘17

Originally Posted by Miller88

Mechanically I'll agree that Fords are good, but here in NY they won't make 150K or even 100K in many cases. The trucks, especially, just rust out completely before they hit 10 years. And now that Ford is completely fully boxed frame, even the SuperDuty trucks with the aluminum bodies will be in the junkyard by 100K miles.

I really want a new Ranger. But I also know that if I buy one, in 6 years it'll have rot holes in the frame and gaping holes in the body.

More fake news.

Can there really be a correlation made between reliability and used car transactions with over 200k? Maybe F-150s are sold less often, and therefore won't make this list, since the data originated from used car transactions. Maybe the Audi TT actually made the list because a lot of them were just sold and traded that year, whereas a sports car like the Miata just didn't sell so much. I do not believe this data can be representative of reliability. Take it at face value: number of cars traded 2019 with over 200k mikes, arranged by brand and car type.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PowerSurge
Makes no difference what type of data you come up with. People are still going to bash Toyota.

And Chevy and Dodge and Ford

I've owned them all and they can all suck
My antique Honda has been about the best of the bunch, though I'm told newer 1.5's can be bad.

Talking about rust, around here only Ram trucks regularly rust through the fenders and box. My friend is a body shop manager and does then under warranty regularly.

If not undercoated Ford's and GM's usually take closer to 10 years to rust through. My 2005 Silverado was undercoated every second year and just rusted through one cab corner this past year after 15 years. Luckily it's a cheap fix.

Figures lie and liars figure. Meaningless chart. With skillful design of a study's parameters the gathered info can be spun to favor anything desired by the bias of the designers.

Originally Posted by mrsilv04
Hopefully, one of these years, Toyota will figure out that they can't sell the 2014/2007 Tundra forever...

If it ain't broke, don't fix it ?

Yes a seemingly large percentage of Land Cruisers still on the road are 20+ years old, but that's because there was a big boom for them in the 1990s, then relatively few new ones sold in the last two decades.

http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales-data/toyota/toyota-land-cruiser/

The Lincoln Navigator is a similar case, though not as pronounced. 43,859 sold in 1998, 17,839 in 2018.

Another episode of Lies, [censored] Lies, and Statistics.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Miller88

Mechanically I'll agree that Fords are good, but here in NY they won't make 150K or even 100K in many cases. The trucks, especially, just rust out completely before they hit 10 years. And now that Ford is completely fully boxed frame, even the SuperDuty trucks with the aluminum bodies will be in the junkyard by 100K miles.

I really want a new Ranger. But I also know that if I buy one, in 6 years it'll have rot holes in the frame and gaping holes in the body.

More fake news.

I've seen a few 2016 SuperDuty trucks with colapsed beds and missing rocker panels already. The stuff they put on the roads up here is terrible and just eats fully boxed frame vehicles alive. At this point, any 1/2 ton truck from the mid 00s is likely going to have the center section of the frame rotted out. That's why Wranglers are well known for frame rot issues.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Originally Posted by mrsilv04
Hopefully, one of these years, Toyota will figure out that they can't sell the 2014/2007 Tundra forever...

If it ain't broke, don't fix it ?

Except that the Tundra is kind of an afterthought in the full size pickup market. If Toyota put the same effort into the Tundra that they put into RAV4/Camry/Corolla, I bet they could take a decent slice of the full size truck market. Especially with people getting into the market that only use their trucks to commute to and from their office job and tow a boat on the weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back