Toyota Corolla leaves family stranded.

'Bad gas' today is rare as Unicorn urine.
1621891651583.jpg

Bad gas can still run, but if it damaged a fuel injector it’ll misfire and flash the check engine light. Hope it didn’t make it stick open and melt down the cat.

Or it sounds like the dealer was trying to hose her.
Kinda hypocritical to say that now, huh ?

I know, I know, when she refused the repair, they rigged her car so it would really break down later ! I'll bet that's what happened.

Please update this thread with the new diagnosis and/or resolution.

I think we will find out tomorrow or Wednesday. I’m skeptical about the bad gas theory. Why would the car drive completely fine on “bad gas”, then leave them stranded on a completely new tank of fuel?
If 'bad' is rust particles from a low volume old gas station (steel tank) then the strainer on the pump could clog up. But there is sludge settled in the bottom of your tank, refilling stirs it up, and finishes the job of blocking the pump inlet. Total speculation but been there, done that.

If the tank must be dropped to access the fuel pump you've got new pump (running with no flow can kill them), strainer, new fuel filter -- $200 parts? -- plus labor to remove/replace parts, drain/drop/flush/reinstall the tank. Disposal fee. I could see six hours labor there, does any dealer now do it for under $100/hr?

Steel station tanks collect rust flakes in the bottom which will be stirred up each time they get a new load of fuel. So the next few cars buying gas there that day ...

I dont know what has everyone riled up , but I wouldnt doubt for a second its not bad gas..
dealer could charge $600 then submit the bill for the the warranty recalled fuel pump too.

Some of the stuff they try to sell at the local dealers here is eyebrow raising.

Just had the Mother-in-law's 2013 equinox in for the warranty recalled o2? sensor..

tryed 5x to sell wife an additional $2800 in services..
car runs fine.. has new brakes, and tires.

It does eat oil.. they wanted to super flush it and change it for only $249
THERE IS NO OIL ON DIPSTICK WE CANT LET YOU LEAVE.

it was 3/4 quart from full mark and fine.. car sucks oil for last 10k miles like MANY of 2.4 of this gen do.

IT might get maybe 2500miles a year. not putting $$$ into it all owners manual recommended services are done.

Get this they were trying to sell tires.. these pirelli's have 1k miles on them, thats how bad the service advisor was.
then they tried to sell rotate and balance...
it was 5 or 6 trips out with "stuff we need to do"
I could write a book about this crapo experience but you get the idea.

Last edited:
'Bad gas' today is rare as Unicorn urine.
View attachment 58142
Not with E10 that has phase separation at the facility But faulty underground tanks are getting replaced. I still have gotten too many bad tanks of Mobil or Shell so now I'm sticking with IRVING. One time we had a medical emergency rush to hospital and I had to womp on the car with the NISSAN with bad gas, That was the end of that engine and converter ever running well.
You can tell by the absence of WOT Power but it may drive fairly OK at light to moderate throttle as the much increased fueling rate can be met at low engines speeds and high throttling. If you have mainly Alcohol and water in the tank the STFT should be off the chart. remember there is ~ a beer bottle's worth of ethanol in every gallon of gasoline and it doesn't take too much water to take it out of solution and put it on the bottom of the tank. 95% alcohol and 5% water and NO gasoline.
I prefer my martini Shaken not stirred,

Last edited:
I'm going to say fuel pump. There is a recall for 2018-2020 Corollas due to faulty fuel pumps.

Running the tank low is a good way to turn an iffy fuel pump into a bad fuel pump.

This makes sense to me. ^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'm not sure about this in regards to a regular motor/running.. . Granted far different motor and usage. In Nascar of a car ran completely out of gas it could cause a super lean condition and lead to a burned piston. Which did knock a number of cars out of races in the 70s, 80s and 90s.

I wonder if this could happen today given how cars are being set up to run in the way they are.

that is nearly a new car, hard to believe anythings wrong with the car

it leads me to think has she owned another car before, what are her driving/owning habits towards cars anyway

Replaced the fuel pump in an old Altima a few days ago. Access through a panel under the rear seat. Removed panel and the pump, then drained 7 gallons of 8 year old gas from the tank (the car has been sitting 8 years) in less than 10 minutes with a transfer pump. Gas smelled a little odd, so I'd say it was bad, but still, gas is gas. Poured it into the half full tank of my driver, and it ran just fine.

1. So yes $600 seems excessive. Why the need to drop the tank? If you can't siphon it out the filler, or you don't have access from the top, you could command the fuel pump on and collect it at the fuel rail.
2. What exactly was bad about the gas? I assume it wasn't age. And what about it would cause the car not to run?
For reference last month we were charged $1,500 to dispose of a 20 gallon mix of gas and diesel. And yes the customer paid and was charged what we were charged.

For reference last month we were charged $1,500 to dispose of a 20 gallon mix of gas and diesel. And yes the customer paid and was charged what we were charged.
$1,500 is nuts. Must be a Cali thing. Around here you can drop off used oil for free as well as chemicals and solvents at the county dump. Might be a 5 gallon per day limit, but still. I would have added it a gallon or two at a time per tankful to a beater until used up. Or use as a weed killer on the lawn, or drive to the desert and pour on the sand where it will evaporate.

$1,500 is nuts. Must be a Cali thing. Around here you can drop off used oil for free as well as chemicals and solvents at the county dump. Might be a 5 gallon per day limit, but still. I would have added it a gallon or two at a time per tankful to a beater until used up. Or use as a weed killer on the lawn, or drive to the desert and pour on the sand where it will evaporate.
It is a combination of California and shops have a completely different set of rules we have to follow compared to a person. We can't just go to the county dump and toss things. Everything has to go through official channels and be kept on file.

A couple of months ago I got 8-9 gallons of 10 year old gas from my buddy’s old boat motor that he decided to finally repair. Poured in the gas tank of my 04 Avalanche and it ran fine. Keep us updated on what the problem was on the Corolla

Waste oil companies often pay shops for their used oil or at least do it for free. Same with restaurants and fry oil which gets turned into diesel. Why is this any different? Some lawmaker's knee jerk reaction to the perception that any gas not dispensed from a gas station is to be treated as toxic waste.

Back