Toyota Corolla leaves family stranded.

I would be shocked if the whole thing turned out to be a tank of bad gas. To foul injectors or cause drivability issues in that short a period of time, would take some seriously bad gas, of which bad gas of any sort is super rare. Then fill up the tank and have everything go south all the sudden? The bad gas hypothesis just doesn't add up for me.

I would venture to guess bad (dirty?) gas might be a possibility - did the relative have to drive much in the "gas shortage" areas from the pipeline shutdown and fill up at some crusty dusty stations along the way?

I witnessed many stations that don't really move much gas run all their tanks empty, these are stations where either price or just station condition keep people from filling up there.

I think we will find out tomorrow or Wednesday. I’m skeptical about the bad gas theory. Why would the car drive completely fine on “bad gas”, then leave them stranded on a completely new tank of fuel?
They said it was “driving normal”, was it actually? I test drive lots of cars with check engine lights on, and the customers says it “normal”, my short test drive shows that is often far from the truth.

Flashing CEL means converter damage possible... probably some sort of misfire code.

could be anything... coils, plugs, low compression... google can help, but you gotta have something to go on....

Be sure to report back now that you have committed they ultimate BITOG sin of suggesting a Toyota might not be the finest thing on 4 wheels... :LOL:

If the gas was that bad and caused so many so called issues would the car not have died almost right away on getting filled with this so called bad gas.

My recycling center aka “the dump” takes 15 gals of gas per day from anyone coming in with it, no charge. Better than people pouring it out on the ground. If they make it costly or hard to do, they are going to pour it somewhere easy. Maybe the storm drain, it looks like a place to pour things in. Every area is probably different.

Waste oil companies often pay shops for their used oil or at least do it for free. Same with restaurants and fry oil which gets turned into diesel. Why is this any different? Some lawmaker's knee jerk reaction to the perception that any gas not dispensed from a gas station is to be treated as toxic waste.

Not anymore, Just paid @$200 to have my waste oil tank pumped.

that is nearly a new car, hard to believe anythings wrong with the car

it leads me to think has she owned another car before, what are her driving/owning habits towards cars anyway
She traded in her mid 2000’s Corolla for this 2018, the old one had around 170K in the NY rust belt so it had a good run.

Flashing CEL means converter damage possible... probably some sort of misfire code.

could be anything... coils, plugs, low compression... google can help, but you gotta have something to go on....

Be sure to report back now that you have committed they ultimate BITOG sin of suggesting a Toyota might not be the finest thing on 4 wheels... :LOL:

Yeah that's a very good point DR...

My car did that flashing check engine light with misfires related to bad catalytic converter.

Got it straightened out... And was good to go after new cats installed.

I'm going to say fuel pump. There is a recall for 2018-2020 Corollas due to faulty fuel pumps.

Running the tank low is a good way to turn an iffy fuel pump into a bad fuel pump.
The current Toyota dealer brought this up, which prompted my family member to call the original dealer back and press them on why the recall wasn’t brought up. They admitted to knowing about the recall and not saying anything about it. I don’t think it’s going to end well for them.

A couple of months ago I got 8-9 gallons of 10 year old gas from my buddy’s old boat motor that he decided to finally repair. Poured in the gas tank of my 04 Avalanche and it ran fine. Keep us updated on what the problem was on the Corolla
I will keep the thread updated. The car is awaiting diagnostics. The unfortunate thing is they are having to stay in a hotel 7 hours from home. Hopefully this is a quick fix. I can’t help but wonder if it’s the transmission. She called me this afternoon and said there was a whirring type sound as the car slowed down.

Back