toyota camry steering rack removal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone, im replacing the steering rack in my dad's toyota camry, and i'm at a point where i can't go any further. The 9th step in my chiltons manual says to "loosen the upper bolt and remove the lower bolt holding the control valve shaft to the intermediate shaft. First off, i looked for an hour and cannot find the "upper bolt". I found the lower one, and removed it. It then says to remove the intermediate shaft from the rack. Honestly this "intermediate shaft" is not going anywhere. It has no play whatsoever. If i can somehow get this shaft out i can proceed.

Also the next step says remove the nut to the tube clamp, and remove the clamp from the vehicle. Looking around, i have no clue what they are talking about. The only things left are the fluid lines and those are covered on down the page.

I think i've figured out where the upper bolt is, but now the intermediate shaft is rusted to the control valve shaft. LOL my luck..

No good deed goes unpunished.

I haven't done one like yours, but I bet the upper bolt is under the dash. The lower bolt may be down by the carpet.

Good Luck!

Well i've gotten everything unbolted but that intermediate shaft is literally welded itself to the rack with rust. every tool ive tried won't even budge it.

Hah something good for once. I took a break for awhile thinking of different things i could do. Went back out and hit it twice with the hammer and it moved a little, pulled on it and it broke free!

I think this car is fighting me for letting the problem go for so long lol.
19.gif

Haha no kidding! The old rack is out now, and i went ahead and ordered some new outer tie rods. Hopefully tomorrow this will be back on the road!

By the way im curious, i just noticed the power steering reservoir says to use dexron II fluid. Dumb me i replaced the fluid some time back with actual prestone power steering fluid. I never really thought to look on the cap, seemed like a no brainer at the time. Could using power steering fluid cause the seals to go bad? The rack is original and has 207K on it. I picked up some dexron to fill it with, but i was just curious.

I doubt it also, but isn't the viscosity of PS fluid much thicker than Dexron? It seems more like a 40wt oil to me, whereas ATFs are more like thin 30wt oils. Probably not enough to matter, just thinking aloud...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back