Toyota Steering Intermediate Shaft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our Camry has developed the steering wheel clunk and from little research I did it seems to be a common problem on a lot of Toyotas, it is the intermediate steering shaft. I also read that greasing is a temporary fix, I wanted to ask if anyone has replaced the part with an updated version? From my search online on a few Toyota forums I read that some dealers are acknowledging the problem to be a faulty part and some are not.

Originally Posted by laserred96gt
Our Camry has developed the steering wheel clunk and from little research I did it seems to be a common problem on a lot of Toyotas, it is the intermediate steering shaft. I also read that greasing is a temporary fix, I wanted to ask if anyone has replaced the part with an updated version? From my search online on a few Toyota forums I read that some dealers are acknowledging the problem to be a faulty part and some are not.

The 03 Camry in my signature has been in the family since new and developed the steering low speed clunk about six years ago. I researched the problem and ordered the Toyota recommended grease to fix the problem. But because I was lazy and for a temporary fix, I sprayed a lot of WD40 into the areas that the grease was to go. It has been six years and the clunk has not returned. Your problem may be slightly different than mine because I understand that Toyota did something to correct the problem before your 11 Camry was built.

Originally Posted by chunt
Originally Posted by laserred96gt

The 03 Camry in my signature has been in the family since new and developed the steering low speed clunk about six years ago. I researched the problem and ordered the Toyota recommended grease to fix the problem. But because I was lazy and for a temporary fix, I sprayed a lot of WD40 into the areas that the grease was to go. It has been six years and the clunk has not returned. Your problem may be slightly different than mine because I understand that Toyota did something to correct the problem before your 11 Camry was built.

Used White lithium grease on my Sienna to reduce noise. Try one of these first.

Seems like the most reliable vehicles I've had experience with (2005ish impala's and Silverado) all have this clunk. The work truck I drive every day has had the clunky shaft for 5+ years. It's annoying but apparently not a real safety issue.

Originally Posted by caprice_2nv
Seems like the most reliable vehicles I've had experience with (2005ish impala's and Silverado) all have this clunk. The work truck I drive every day has had the clunky shaft for 5+ years. It's annoying but apparently not a real safety issue.
It makes you feel like/realize you are driving a piece of junk. My parents had a GMT800 that had that issue for almost 15 years.

I greased the shaft on my 02 camry, the u-joint in the under-hood area.

Spray lithium type grease washes off after a couple thousand miles. You want to get into the bearings.

I had access problems but eventually came up with a giant swab made from bunched up paper towel and a coat hanger. Jammed that in there, covered in red grease, and tried to get it *into* the joint. No problems since.

My issue wasn't a clunk but more of a "lumpy" steering. It's a well-documented problem.

Originally Posted by maxdustington
Originally Posted by caprice_2nv
It makes you feel like/realize you are driving a piece of junk. My parents had a GMT800 that had that issue for almost 15 years.

If I owned the vehicle I would want it fixed. But since it's not mine I have just gotten used to it. I don't feel like it's a piece of junk because it's never stranded us it's outlasted my employers expectations of how long our trucks should last. Repairs have been fairly few and far between.

The clunking is caused by the intermediate part of the shaft made to collapse in an accident. This is a splined arrangement with one tube with OD splines and the other with ID splines. This is where the clunking originates. Toyota repaired my 04 in 06 under warranty. The kit furnished to the dealer was a syringe filled with what looked like white lithium grease. A long needle allowed grease to be injected alone the splines with the shaft removed. My 04 still had the marks on the shafts the tech used to insure that the steering went back together correctly so steering wheel was centered. No problems in twelve years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back