Toyota Brake Job Best Practices Guide

Found an updated brake job best practices guide in the Toyota TIS portal. Thought this may be of interest.

1618001657418.jpg

1618001675378.jpg

I made the mistake of applying Sta-Lube brake grease to the shim. Once! Stuff couldn't wash off fast enough, squealed like a pig. Lesson learned. They go on dry now, no problems. Not sure if "proper" shim grease would work better (or not).

Actually just lost a shim, rusted in half. That's a first for me.

Lately I've been taking the caliper bracket off and chucking into a vice for cleaning. For a long time I tried to chisel the rust off while on the car. Just faster to remove and reinstall.

Interesting article.

I first heard the washing rotors with soapy water about 10 or so years ago from one of our techs. He heard it at Ford school and said once he switched to that method he had a lot less issues with noise. I have tried to do it since. It gets hard with the big rotors though.

I first heard the washing rotors with soapy water about 10 or so years ago from one of our techs. He heard it at Ford school and said once he switched to that method he had a lot less issues with noise. I have tried to do it since. It gets hard with the big rotors though.
SD-20 is what I use. It's a foaming rinseless degreaser.

Lithium soap grease for the pins? Thought that was a spot for silicone?
Glycol based lithium soap thickened grease, I've never seen them call for anything else with the exception of ATE calipers (dry) and Bosch/Chassis Brake/Hitachi calipers (PTFE Silicone).

Glycol based lithium soap thickened grease, I've never seen them call for anything else with the exception of ATE calipers (dry) and Bosch/Chassis Brake/Hitachi calipers (PTFE Silicone).
By them you mean Toyota? If so, ok,... I was just under the impression that slide pins usually got silicone grease...

By them you mean Toyota? If so, ok,... I was just under the impression that slide pins usually got silicone grease...

Yes, by them I was referring to Toyota, although they are far from alone in this regard.

As one huge example; as far back as I've ever been able to find Lucas Girling spec'd "vegetable" (glycol) based "rubber grease" for their floating caliper guide pins, and their successor TRW continues to do so with PFG110.

Yes, by them I was referring to Toyota, although they are far from alone in this regard.

As one huge example; as far back as I've ever been able to find Lucas Girling spec'd "vegetable" (glycol) based "rubber grease" for their floating caliper guide pins, and their successor TRW continues to do so with PFG110.
I fondly remember Lucas. They had some groovy brakes. Hopefully ZF bring TRW in order.

Interesting how different OEMs have opposite recommendations. I'd think it could actually vary by vehicle model not across-the-board guidelines since many brake components (calipers, etc) are 3rd-party designed and sourced, I thought.

Toyota says no lube on the pad ears/caliper bracket slide locations while Nissan says to use "bentonite noise dampening brake grease". Nissan also says to use "rubber grease" on the slide pins.

It say‘s don’t apply shim grease to the ears, slide, etc.
I‘ve got the Toyota rubber grease but I prefer the silicone for the slide pins.
And I use Sta-lube for the shims and ears.
after ordering about a dozen sets of Toyota brake pads and parts, I finally got a set of shims with the Toyota shim grease. I might try it next time.
Go figure, the last guide showed where to put the shim grease on the pad plates, now it says “never”.
edit: at least it looks like reuse of shims in good condition is approved.

Attachments

• CE81AF05-08B1-4518-A14E-20A5303C3F51.jpeg
    CE81AF05-08B1-4518-A14E-20A5303C3F51.jpeg
    150.2 KB · Views: 80
Interesting how different OEMs have opposite recommendations. I'd think it could actually vary by vehicle model not across-the-board guidelines since many brake components (calipers, etc) are 3rd-party designed and sourced, I thought.

Toyota says no lube on the pad ears/caliper bracket slide locations while Nissan says to use "bentonite noise dampening brake grease". Nissan also says to use "rubber grease" on the slide pins.

Yes, it's easy to find instances of the exact same caliper being used on vehicles from different automakers, with contradictory instructions on lubricating it in the respective service manuals. The exception, as I noted, is from the caliper suppliers such as as ATE and Bosch/Chassis Brake/Hitachi who are adamant about doing it their way.

ATE Plastilube is "bentonite noise dampening brake grease", Subaru says to use the same shim grease Toyota says not to (Molykote AS-880N)...

Yes, it's easy to find instances of the exact same caliper being used on vehicles from different automakers
The calipers on a co-worker's late-model BMW look identical to the ones on my wife's Fusion. That's the casting design as well as the external spring / clip. Watching a video of a BMW brake change, it's got the same plastic plugs, internal hex slide pins, etc...

The calipers on a co-worker's late-model BMW look identical to the ones on my wife's Fusion. That's the casting design as well as the external spring / clip. Watching a video of a BMW brake change, it's got the same plastic plugs, internal hex slide pins, etc...

Looking at the second gen Fusion, you can cast Ford/FoMoCo into it all you want, it's still an ATE caliper.

Interesting.... Looking at the external retention spring for ATE calipers, BMW uses what appear to be very similar calipers on the REARs while Ford uses them on the FRONTs (hehe, better braking performance from a BMW - duh ! ). :ROFLMAO:

Interesting.... Looking at the external retention spring for ATE calipers, BMW uses what appear to be very similar calipers on the REARs while Ford uses them on the FRONTs (hehe, better braking performance from a BMW - duh ! ). :ROFLMAO:
ate uses the 7mm hex sliders or traditional ones. you’ll usually find the anti-rattle spring on the hex type calipers

i prefer the hex, super easy to line up

Last edited:
Back