Toyota announcement on its hydrogen SUV and pick-up

I find it interesting that a lot of major manufacturers are working on hydrogen technologies.

I still think EV's will be a short term solution, or development will slow down in favour of hydrogen. But I'm well aware there is significant hurdles to be dealt with when it comes to the creation of hydrogen.

I'd rather hydrogen power than an EV. I'm rooting for Toyota, I'm not a fan of the EV.
27.gif

I’m skeptical. Show me a well to wheels analysis, or better yet, CO2 per mile figure—yes, the fuel cell emits no CO2 but I want to know where the H2 came from.

Remember folks this is hydrogen fuel cell not hydrogen ICE.

This Toyota product is similar to a diesel locomotive. Burn XYZ to generate electricity which powers an electric motor.

I’m skeptical. Show me a well to wheels analysis, or better yet, CO2 per mile figure—yes, the fuel cell emits no CO2 but I want to know where the H2 came from.
I agree that using hydrogen as a "battery" for a fuel cell has promise - but per GON's post, Toyota is planning to run an ICE on hydrogen. 😳

I am not inherently against either but honest engineering must be included in all decisions.

Zero emission statements seem to on the decline for example

I have nothing against great battery design but weaknesses should never be glossed over for example
Nor should the large surface extraction sites - lack of cradle to grave plans - and people making it worse with “fixed” batteries when allocations should only go to mobile equipment … This mentality leads to ending NG as a source of direct heat - what a fool‘s errand

Last edited:
Nor should the large surface extraction sites - lack of cradle to grave plans - and people making it worse with “fixed” batteries when allocations should only go to mobile equipment … This mentality leads to ending NG as a source of direct heat - what a fool‘s errand
The issue with NatGas is that there are hundreds of thousands of methane leaks within the network which leads from the gas field to the regulator on your natgas furnace. Every little data point adds up. Reducing the size of the network will reduce the number of failure points. This why some areas are banning new NatGas hookups. Methane has a GWP 27 over 100 years vs CO2 which is 1.

Of course NatGas is cheaper but that's being offset with better technology like air-source heat pumps. From a operational cost perspective ASHP can be on par with NatGas. Especially in all but the coldest places in the US.

Living in Texas you should drive out to the Permian basin at night and see all the NatGas which is continually flared.

Last edited:
but per GON's post, Toyota is planning to run an ICE on hydrogen. 😳

Don't people read the article in full? The SUV burns the hydrogen in an ICE while the pickup uses hydrogen in the fuel cell to make electricity to run the truck.

Toyota's hydrogen-powered Corolla Cross burns the gas.

Toyota has converted a Hilux pickup with a hydrogen fuel cell powertrain.

Umm...a hydrogen fuel cell vehicle IS an EV. The only difference is it gets electric power from hydrogen instead of a battery.
Ok let me rephrase, the current EV configuration, EG Tesla as it stands today.

Reactions: FZ1
Back