Toyota and other engine recalls

Its so funny how the standard excuse for all of them is left over machining debris.
If so that will rear its ugly head much sooner than many of the talked about problems do.
Kia first to use that excuse now Toyota and Honda?

Interesting that the connecting rod bearings are what is failing in the Honda engines. Honda claims this is due to improperly machined crankshaft journals, resulting in premature wear.

We could make all sorts of guesses as to the real cause here. One thing is clear, making an engine that lasts, even a high output turbocharged engine, is not only entirely possible, it is common.

Toyota had to manufacture something with a lot of complexity at a large volume. they typically reserve the complex stuff for the low volume high profit products. they are learning high complexity and high volume are a challenge.

It's comes from having too many nights of heavy drinking with BMW engineers. lol.
They're a different breed all together 🤔

As for Toyota, I really wonder if it was a design/specification issue or a production tolerance/assembly QA issue?
These engineers must be the great grandchildren of those who gave us VZ/GE head gaskets and 2AZ bolt threads/piston rings 🙄

Only time will tell

Link? Not sure what you are posting about.
All you have to do is search, its easy cheesy. You will see major issues with all the car and truck makers.
GM, Ford, Mopar (craplantis), Honda, Kia, Lexus, Toyota, just pick a name out of the box.

I'd like to know who to contact at the Toyo place to help resolve the problem for them?

Here is another link for ya all.

All you have to do is search, its easy cheesy. You will see major issues with all the car and truck makers.
GM, Ford, Mopar (craplantis), Honda, Kia, Lexus, Toyota, just pick a name out of the box.

I'd like to know who to contact at the Toyo place to help resolve the problem for them?
Extra douche bag points for only giving Stellantis a nickname there.
Cute wink gif.gif

Here's a mechanic discussing the lastest tundra engine failure.
He makes another video about the recall stating it may be from debris. As you can see the first rod bearing and main took a lot of heat.
I've seen some posts that say even engines from Japan have the issue. So really debris is everywhere these days. Honda has it, Kia has it, now Toyota has it. Rule 1 never blame the design, or engineering.

Oh and that is my favorite video, he shows absolutely nothing, just a short block with heat damage like you say.
Due to the warranty pay they get for all that I just bet none of the removed parts get cleaned.
I like the story's from some people that have had this done, talk about, it was a few days or weeks it happens again.

Last edited:
Regardless of the makes I've owned, VW, Hyundai, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Audi, KIA..., every last one had passionate unreasonably critical folks chomping at the bit to get their two cents in on the respective forums.

I'm done with the back and fourth. Id rather be making a BLT instead.

Regardless of the makes I've owned, VW, Hyundai, Toyota, Mitsubishi, Audi, KIA..., every last one had passionate unreasonably critical folks chomping at the bit to get their two cents in on the respective forums.
It's all inanimate machinery, it's gonna break somehow eventually 🤔
I'm done with the back and fourth. Id rather be making a BLT instead.
Get the Hellman's out 🤌

No idea why the Toyota engines are failing, but at 3.45L and 385HP, they are not out of the norm with regard to HP per displacement or HP per cylinder. Ford's 3.5EB makes as much as 450HP in stock form.

However, when you see "just" rod bearings fail, it is likely a combo of design insufficiency coupled with an oil related issue (too much load). Many modern engines use considerably larger diameter rod bearings to avoid problems.

In the case of the Toyota 3.5L turbo, not only does the #1 rod bearing fail but the front main bearing also failed. That may indicate insufficient oil pressure or flow here.

In our past turbocharged engine development, we did not have oversized bearings or variable flow oil pumps. What we did have is plenty of oil pressure and adequate viscosity.

It should be noted that the required oil for the Toyota is (I believe) 0W-20.

Last edited:
In the case of the Toyota 3.5L turbo, not only does the #1 rod bearing fail but the front main bearing also failed. That may indicate insufficient oil flow here.
Leftover debris would have random damage all over, right? I mean, oil leaving the oil pump doesn’t all go to one place, in a series to the rest. But has multiple branches?

Or is that one bearing where it branches out from?

Back