Toyota and Consumer Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
All these years and I thought Toyota and CR were in bed together....

I haven't heard any bad Camry stories. Anyone else?

I do think Toyota has some quality issues right now. Toyota Nation has more than a few posts about quality issues.

To Toyota credit they do seem to work with the owners to get issues resolved. That was my biggest problem with the GM vehicles I used to buy but no longer do so.

There seems to be some issues with Toyota's new 6 speed automatic used in the Camry V6. And the new 6 speed automatic used in the 2007 Tundra 5.7 V8. Over at Toyota Nation.

I bought a new 06 Tundra 1 1/2 years ago the paint is not very impressive or durable. It chips very easy. I have to take it in for a recall on the ball joints and now one rear shock is leaking at 12K.
frown.gif
Guess I will find out how well Toyota will take care of my problems.

I have an '05 Vibe (basically a Matrix, Salsa Red) and I've noticed the paint has faded significantly since new. I can wax it and shine it up, but it's still faded.

Isnt that common with red paint???? More red cars look lousy than any other color, IMO. My mother had an old dodge colt that had to be kept well waxed, or else the paint looked poor.

Obviously metallic paints have more sparkle, perhaps that is part ofthe illusion????

JMH

Moter Trend Article

"Toyota is recalling 470,000 vehicles in Japan for engine, steering, and fuel-pump problems, the latest in a string of high-profile recalls that have hit the Japanese automaker in recent months, reports the Associated Press. None of the affected models was exported from Japan."

The Toyota 2AZ-FE (4 cylinder) engine is found in many Camry models leaked oil from the pan, and had failing belt tensioners.

I have also heard that the 5AT Camry transmission can act strangely due to certain programming issues.

Quote:

The Toyota 2AZ-FE (4 cylinder) engine is found in many Camry models leaked oil from the pan, and had failing belt tensioners.

The 2AZ-FE does not have a timing belt. It has a timing chain. I am not aware of any oil leaks from the 2AZ-FE. The four-cylinder engine and transmission combo in the Camry has been and continues to be the most reliable Camry.

Quote:

I have also heard that the 5AT Camry transmission can act strangely due to certain programming issues.

That's subjective.

I have 2 Toyotas. 2005 Klger/Highlander V6 - 43000 miles no faults or warranty work. 2006 Corolla 15000 miles no faults or warranty work. Without doubt the best built cars I have owned in my 42 years of car ownership (including several BMW and Volvo models)
Roger

Well I have a 2006 Saab 93 with 14000 miles no faults or warranty work. So there.

(Does it seem a little ridiculous to talk about the reliability of a one year old car?)

I have a 2006 Xcab 4x4 Tacoma It is a p.o.s compared to my 92 Toy Xcab 4x4 and my wifes 84 Toy 4x4 p/u .Really Pi$$ poor in comparison

Quote:

(Does it seem a little ridiculous to talk about the reliability of a one year old car?)

Umm....generally I would agree. However, this whole "Toyota and Consumer Reports" debate is over the 2007 model year reliability of the V6 Camry and V8 (5.7L only, I presume) 4x4 Tundra.

The Tundra has been on the road for EIGHT MONTHS!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back