Totalled Toyo...

Daughter was driving a mile from home (car was cold and tires were still cold) and she skidded and hit the curb on Toyo Highlander (240K miles)
The LBJ and is pressed inwards and possibly LCA could be bent as well and the insurance company wrote it off (final price is still being assessed);
I personally feel terrible as this car served our family so well and sad to see its going to be scrapped.

Time to say good bye, daughter is diving the Lexus now.

My first new car in the states was a 2005 camry. It still runs to this day. Every new car after that has been totaled for one reason or another before hitting 40k miles (they were all toyota's). They handled high speed rear end collisions so well I didn't have whiplash or any other injury. What I did learn, is like Nick said, I should have bought them back and had them fixed up but at the time I was new to insurance operation but now I know better. Before they F up the title buy it back.

Total loss I was told is simply a factor of "cost to repair" vs "cost to sell after repair". If fixing it costs over 30% of the vehicle's value after the repair, its considered a total loss. I agree that that number is kind of meh. Imagine a 20,000 car being totaled due to 6000$ in repair costs. But the thing is, usually the repair cost is way higher. The cost to actually keep the car at the shop costs like 100$ a day and with an average repair time (in my experience) of 3 months or more...that is a lot of money just to keep the car there! That all factors in to the "repair" cost. Heck, had a nice 2011 XLE that got rear ended in the rain at around 45mph. Drove it home with a bent rear end a mile up the road. Could probably have had the frame pulled for 1000$ and all it needed was a bumper, some hammering on the rear quarters, and a trunk and tail lights. The exhaust was a bit bent but could be fixed, and the glass was still not cracked. Could have cost me 3000$ to fix a car and keep it running.

Lexus!?

Glad your daughter is O.K. but, She would be walking after those antics. Needs some operation and driving lessons.

Sounds easy repairable though. the LCA are wimpy and desiged to give before the unit frame gets tweeked.

Any good shade trees you know?

I imagine the CV shaft could have got punched into the transmission case? That would right it off pretty fast I think.
Possible subframe damage too, could be a PITA / not cost effective to repair.

Lexus!?

Glad your daughter is O.K. but, She would be walking after those antics. Needs some operation and driving lessons.

Sounds easy repairable though. the LCA are wimpy and desiged to give before the unit frame gets tweeked.

Any good shade trees you know?
This. I was wondering how the daughter skid and hit a curb in Texas in September. However, it is all okay, now she can wreck the Lexus.

all good questions, we haven't had rains for over 4 months and then comes a drizzle for 10m in Sep.
The oils from the roads and very little water created a nice pocket of skid conditions to slide and hit the curb
Had it rained for an hour all the oils would have been gone washed into the drains.

Back