Torque wrench ; Can you use it twice to get the setting needed ?

There's really little reason for one. Torque is an imprecise measurement of clamping force anyway, and the addition of "digital" to the wrench isn't helping that problem. It's mostly a marketing gimmick to fetch a higher price and make people thing they are really getting it down to the last digit. That split beam wrench shown above is actually a pretty good wrench but doesn't give tactile feedback like a click style does.

I don't know that I would buy one either, but if you are doing a lot of stretch bolts, they can be nice to have. Say a bolt that is 30 ft-lbs + 70° + another 100° (not that uncommon) it is pretty nice to have. But for the most part they are kind of gimmicky yes.

I'll bet the needle on that torque wrench will go past the markings. Tighten just a hair past 75 and call it a day. Good enough for lug nuts.

80 lb-ft is 108 n-m. Go just a little past the top marking on the n-m scale.

How can you already have torque wrench(es) and not know the answer?

Digital isn't a marketing gimmick, just like anything else digital is slightly easier/faster to use. I don't feel the need for a torque wrench, but like digital for tire pressure or calipers, microwave oven, radio tuner, etc.

How can you already have torque wrench(es) and not know the answer?

Digital isn't a marketing gimmick, just like anything else digital is slightly easier/faster to use. I don't feel the need for a torque wrench, but like digital for tire pressure or calipers, microwave oven, radio tuner, etc.

I don't think I have ever seen a microwave that wasn't digital? I was born in '81, maybe before my time.

75 should be fine. I know when I was in school we had to use anti seize and so they got torqued to 60 with that on there. Fortunately none of them ever fell off to my knowledge. Now that I’m past high school automotive, I torque them all down to 80 dry if they are steel wheels and don’t use anti seize. 80 is hard enough to break loose by hand so I’m sure 75 will be fine.

75 should be fine. I know when I was in school we had to use anti seize and so they got torqued to 60 with that on there. Fortunately none of them ever fell off to my knowledge. Now that I’m past high school automotive, I torque them all down to 80 dry if they are steel wheels and don’t use anti seize. 80 is hard enough to break loose by hand so I’m sure 75 will be fine.
I hope you review the torque specs for each vehicle you work on - many vehicles take more than 80 ft-lbs for steel wheels.

I am. I guess it is, been awhile since I done those test I just know they expire after 5 years. I usually look it up for the bigger stuff but never the regular stuff.
That doesn't make any sense. You recently posted that you are 18. And you took the tests "a while ago?"
ASE requires 2 years of work experience for someone to qualify for the A1-A9 exams:

Are you saying that you have been formally employed since you were 13-14?

There's really little reason for one. Torque is an imprecise measurement of clamping force anyway, and the addition of "digital" to the wrench isn't helping that problem. It's mostly a marketing gimmick to fetch a higher price and make people thing they are really getting it down to the last digit. That split beam wrench shown above is actually a pretty good wrench but doesn't give tactile feedback like a click style does.
The digital ones are fairly useful for situations requiring angle torque in tight areas.

That doesn't make any sense. You recently posted that you are 18. And you took the tests "a while ago?"
ASE requires 2 years of work experience for someone to qualify for the A1-A9 exams:

Are you saying that you have been formally employed since you were 13-14?
16 when I first started as a career. I just know my certificate says master certified after I took all 10 tests. They mentioned at one point the time in school counts as employment time which is also how I got my inspection license which also requires two years.

Guess what ! The other wrench goes to 80 Ft-lb :oops: . Here it is . Do you think the 3/8 will be OK for tightening down the lugs?

IMG_6028.JPG

IMG_6027.JPG
IMG_6030.JPG
IMG_6032.JPG
IMG_6037.JPG
IMG_6035.JPG
IMG_6036.JPG

The accuracy on the HF TQ wrenches is crap to begin with, and TQ wrenches are least acurrate at the limits of their range unless artificially narrowed.

You're better off with the beam and torquing to just past 75ft-lbs.

No they will not.

Uh, yes. They most certainly will, in more than one way.

You can set it to 80, stop at 75, then continue to 80
You can set it to 75, torque it, then set to 80, torque again
You can also set it to 75, then +5, and torque again
You can also actually set the wrench to torque spec A (75) then torque spec B (80). It will beep at both spots. In this mode you can even tell it how many fasteners you are doing and it will switch from beeping at 75 to 80 when you reach that number.

Of course none of that makes any sense, if you are going to do two steps you would do something like 50 then 80.

Last edited:
Back