Torque wrench calibration

Status
Not open for further replies.
I asked this in an earlier post but, didn't get a reply. I'm wondering where to take, or send, a torque wrench to get it calibrated. I have a Mac torque wrench, that I've had for about 20 years, and would like to get it calibrated. It has been used very lightly. Still looks like new. Anyone know?

How do you end up "without a torque wrench"? I would either get it back, or demand a new one. That doesn't fly.

Sears Parts and Repair does it for the techs, but not sure about the public. Probably worth a phone call.

Maybe he shipped it in uninsured. Anyway, ask the mechanics at the best local auto repair place where they get theirs calibrated.

Buy a $10 torque wrench and calibrate it yourself using fishing scale or bathroom scale for $0 and be done with it. Unless you are building a space ship in your garage, a torque wrench which repeatedly gives similar readings and is within the ballpark should be fine for almost all the jobs.

But what do I know? I don't even do my own wrenching!

- Vikas

Originally Posted By: Bamboooo
How do you end up "without a torque wrench"? I would either get it back, or demand a new one. That doesn't fly.
Ratcheting mechanism broke. Mac guy sent it in. Then says no parts available so I told him to have it sent back.

Place he sent it to "Lost" it. MAC guy offered me a new one at his cost and I refused.

3rd time I've had issues with this dealer. No more MAC tools for me ever.

Contacting MAC directly was a waste of time. He didn't send it to MAC, he sent it to another place and I was told my beef is with them.

First my new air grinder broke and no parts available.
2nd.

Had to send in a broken ratchet on my dime to get it fixed then the lost torque wrench.

No more MAC tools for me and you can see why.

Been wondering the same.

i have a decent 6 year old click style 10-100ft/lb torque wrench thats made by ATD. i cant seem to get it to click anymore and ive used it plenty of times before.

im assuming it needs to be calibrated?

Originally Posted By: david_ES2
Been wondering the same.

i have a decent 6 year old click style 10-100ft/lb torque wrench thats made by ATD. i cant seem to get it to click anymore and ive used it plenty of times before.

im assuming it needs to be calibrated?
Calibrating it means to make it click at the correct torque. Since yours does not click it needs to be repaired.

Vikas has the right idea if you are worried, and need to do a quick check.

20 years ago, we were commissioning a power station, and the 22kV connections had to be made to the transformers. These joints are silvered copper, and have around 20,000 amps running through them, so clean and properly tight is important.

One of our young electrical engineers chased one of the savier tech assistants for a torque wrench..."and get a calibration certificate for it"

Tech Assistant quick as a flash responded "not much point, torque wrenches are all calibrated at sea level in a lab, and we are at 900m above sea level."

Which had the young engineer ringing across the country for a torque wrench altitude correction curve.

Angle Repair.com in West Virginia is factory authorized for many brands but only repairs/calibrates USA made torque wrenches. Their web site is spartan. I recommend calling. 304-253-5729 They quote $40 for calibration of a click type wrench which I think includes cleaning and lubrication.

I have an ancient 1/2 inch Utica that began slipping, called them and was advised it needed a new ratchet head which, although available cost about $100 - $175! So I am shopping ebay for a new to newer quality wrench such as Armstrong, Snap-On (also sold under CDI), or Proto (also sold under Blackhawk). A Precision split beam would be nice, but way out of my price range for a backyard mechanic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back