Toro timemaster won't start, leaks gas from the front.

Jad2320

So my toro timemaster has an issue where it looks (smells) like gas is coming from the front of the mower.
I'm not an engine guy by any means, but am trying to understand the issue. I cut my lawn yesterday and it was thick so I ran it twice.
Today I try to start it and the pull cord is almost impossible to pull. And it won't start. I pulled back on the blade engagement (break) lever and it was a little easier to pull, but no where what it should be. That's when I noticed gas coming from the front end of the mower.
The engine is a B&S brand.
I just want to understand the issue better to see if I need a new motor or if it's just a simple(ish) fix.

I suspect that the float assembly is stuck down and the needle valve in the carburetor is wide open. This will allow unrestricted flow of gas into the carburetor which leads to the intake port of the combustion chamber. The gas will run down the cylinder walls and fully overfill the crankcase with the gas combining with the oil. That is why your engine is hydrolocked.

Do this: move the mower into an open area or place it on top of a large plastic trash bag. Then, carefully open the oil fill plug knowing that a ton of the oil/gas mixture will expel from the engine block. You will need to immediately re-secure the fill plug or have a mess of spilled oil to clean up. To fix the problem, shut off the fuel supply, remove the carburetor bowl, and clean up or replace the float and needle valve assembly. Then drain out all the oil/gas mixture and refill with new oil. It is possible that the air filter is also saturated with gas.

Last edited:
Back