Gas cap for Toro Timemaster

I really love my Toro Timemaster mower. But the gas gas seems to loosen up on its own and come half off. The keeper holds it from falling into the grass.

The parts list and B&S support email said the correct cap is a #799585. I bought a real B&S one and it seems 1/4" too small in diameter. I can slide it side to side a little. Maybe not really a real B&S one? Fake?

The cap in the picture is the current one that falls off. B&S says those are production numbers and not part numbers. So no idea what the part number of the current cap is.

Maybe look for a replacement O-ring for current cap.

Attachments

• PXL_20231016_003453967.jpg
    PXL_20231016_003453967.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 19
  • PXL_20231017_233737566.jpg
    PXL_20231017_233737566.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 19
which engine do you have on your timemaster? I wonder if there is a difference between the older 190cc and 223cc

On a late model Briggs, the QR code on the label leads direct to the support page for your engine.

Consider buying a new tank and cap together. There may be something wrong with the neck of your tank, or there may be an updated design.

So I ordered 2 more caps from two different suppliers on Amazon. I saw at least one comment that said something like order the cap based upon the part number in the cap not part number in parts diagram. That kind of sounds like others have same problem with a new cap not fitting.

Current solution is wrapping duct tape around the current cap thread so it's tighter. Cap stays on now.

So the two OE caps came. All three are 799585 replacements. One OEM and two OE. One of the OE fits perfectly. The other OE is too loose as is the B&S OEM.

Not sure what to think.

So the gas cap that fits tight when screwing it on appears to not be properly vented. The mower stops while mowing. I check for gas (there is gas) and the mower starts up again. Obviously checking for gas vents the gas tank.

I ordered another #799585 this time in a B&S package. It fits loose.

Stumped. Unless the gas tank has worn opening where gas cap fits. But never heard of that.

Attachments

• PXL_20231112_221402856.jpg
    PXL_20231112_221402856.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 5
I really love my Toro Timemaster mower. But the gas gas seems to loosen up on its own and come half off. The keeper holds it from falling into the grass.

The parts list and B&S support email said the correct cap is a #799585. I bought a real B&S one and it seems 1/4" too small in diameter. I can slide it side to side a little. Maybe not really a real B&S one? Fake?

The cap in the picture is the current one that falls off. B&S says those are production numbers and not part numbers. So no idea what the part number of the current cap is.

Maybe look for a replacement O-ring for current cap

Buy a fatter oring off ebay for it and drill a hole in one of those indentations pictured inside the cap, but dont drill all the way through. That way it vents to the external vent. See that tiny hole with the mesh screen? The cap has two layers. Had the same issue with my timemaster. The factory oring is loose enough for it to vent, but when you put an oring that actually seals, you not longer have a venting tank.

Back