Considering a Timemaster

Has OP picked up a mower yet? For the price of a new timemaster you could get a used turfmaster. They’re much more stout but can be underpowered if you get an older one with the fj180v. I’d even consider a used 32” commercial walk behind if it can fit.
I bought my Timemaster used for between $500 and $600. It's several years old and has the slightly smaller engine than the new ones today. I really wanted to have a walk behind for the exercise. My back yard is 2/5 of acre and my Fitbit records 425 calories burned doing just the backyard. That's a large hot fudge sundae I can have when done.

just ordered a CC 30 H rear engine rider, not getting any younger + the 2 lots with some incline kills my day! my honda hydrostatic has been GREAT so i spent the xtra for the hydrostatic CubCadet basically same as the craftsman or troy built except the tranny + price + like everything it was about $1500 in 2020 now $2200!!!

a great for future owners. not cheep but my HRX honda was $900 in 1998! but its Hydrostic drive + STILL running GREAT + i was mowing 4 yards weekly years ago!!

Does anyone own a newer Toro Timemaster (223cc engine) that can chime in with general thoughts? My property is 1/3 of an acre, and it currently takes me an hour start to finish to mow with my 21" deck including blowing the driveway and sidewalks at the end. I'm considering the Timemaster hoping it can shave off at least 20 minutes of time. I mulch almost exclusively, and only bag the first cut and last couple of cuts every season to collect debris. My questions are:

-Is the B&S 223 a solid engine? I currently have a GCV160 on a Troybilt deck so I'm sad to lose the bulletproof Honda motor
-How often do the belts end up going? I don't have an issue doing a seasonal replacement if needed as they look to be cheap
-I've heard it has issues with clogging, but I assume that's with wet grass? I never mow when wet and mow at least weekly, sometimes every 5 days so it's never unruly in length
-My understanding is the drive system is capable of going pretty fast...my current mower is not self-propelled by choice since I'm 6'3", young and fit so I like to power walk when I mow and want to make sure I'm not being slowed down by the mower's limitations outside of the cutting/mulching in and of itself.

TIA
As far as clogging. I switched my yard machines mower over to a USA made gatorblade. It previously had an Arnold 6-N-1 which was great but left some grass under the deck. The gatorblade leaves no clumps under the mower deck.

Also I don’t know how OP feels about battery mowers but greenworks makes a 25” and 30”. Toro is developing a 30” timemaster and ryobi is developing a 30 as well. Lots of options for wider push mowers soon.

Haven't purchased yet, hoping for a decent used one here soon but I'm in a small market so I'm not getting my hopes up. Might have to pull the trigger on a new one which kills me knowing the recent price hikes on these. Haven't considered electric...I generally go gas on everything I can to not have to worry about topped off batteries but I'll take a look. Price-wise if an electric 30" is still in the $1500 range I'd prefer a gasser.

Update, local lawn and garden equipment store has a used Time Master posted for $700. I haven't looked at it yet, but condition says "excellent". My hesitation is that it is one of the last years with the 190cc Briggs...I fear it won't have the grunt that it needs. I don't mow when wet and mow consistently enough where I don't have to mow down a forest. Yard is completely flat, so no hills to power up. Is this worth checking out despite having the older engine?

My other consideration is if the unit itself is in good shape I could buy a new Kohler Command Pro CV224 for $500 and do an engine swap, which appears to be a popular option and even those with the 223cc Briggs opt to to this at times. But, then I'm in $1200 plus tax on a used mower...still cheaper than a new one at $1600 and a less desirable engine I guess.

If it were me, buying a new one with the warranty and larger engine is the way that I would go. You won't be disappointed, and the Timemaster is a great mower. $700 is not a bargain, especially with the smaller engine.

If it were me, buying a new one with the warranty and larger engine is the way that I would go. You won't be disappointed, and the Timemaster is a great mower. $700 is not a bargain, especially with the smaller engine.
Thanks...found a different one listed for $1000. 2022 model with literally 1 hour on it. Considering it's basically new and $600 off I think I'll pull the trigger.

I was at Lowe's yesterday and the new Timemaster mowers are $1599. Wowzer. But still the mower is the best mower I have owned. My mower is several years old so I am sure I have the lower HP engine from what is on the new machines. That only matters if I let the grass go longer than I should have. Even then I just either slow down or go over a few spots a second time.

I will order new Gator mulching blades for it.

My grass is already a foot tall in areas where Molly left a special grass growing sauce.

I was at Lowe's yesterday and the new Timemaster mowers are $1599. Wowzer. But still the mower is the best mower I have owned. My mower is several years old so I am sure I have the lower HP engine from what is on the new machines. That only matters if I let the grass go longer than I should have. Even then I just either slow down or go over a few spots a second time.

I will order new Gator mulching blades for it.

My grass is already a foot tall in areas where Molly left a special grass growing sauce.
Eventually, I will get one of those mowers. It would probably knock my yard down to a 20 minute job.

Eventually, I will get one of those mowers. It would probably knock my yard down to a 20 minute job.
I bought mine used for $600. And got the seller to knock off a hundred after I got it home as he listed the specs (engine size) of a new one not the one he was selling. He did not know the new ones had a slightly larger engine.

I have put one belt on it. And blades.

Back