Toro Timemaster getting hard to start

Do the suggested tests before taking it apart. You don't need to disassemble much to expose the coil, which is simply attached the block with two 1/4" (?) bolts. I think that you have to remove four 7/16" (?) bolts and two Phillips head screws to detach the shroud/recoil starter assembly. I can change the coil in ~10 minutes. Here is a basic coil replacement video for a B&S mower engine on the Toro Timemaster. Setting the gap correctly is essential, but I use a business card instead of the feeler gauge.

Please post the model & serial number of the B&S engine and I'll try to identify the correct coil for you. Amazon sells numerous Chinese clone parts for B&S lawn mower engines for a fraction of the cost of the OEM Toro/B&S part.

I bought a Stens coil. Between a cheap Chinese and B&S in price. No directions. How to set the gap? And what gap.

This year I need to pull the recoil starter handle 4 or 5 times before it will start. Don't touch anything, just keep pulling the recoil starter handle.

On this engine there are no controls other than a momentary contact OFF switch.
sound like fuel issue to me. get a can of trufuel and run it though before you get to fixing it.

I bought a Stens coil. Between a cheap Chinese and B&S in price. No directions. How to set the gap? And what gap.
You will need to set the air gap between the magnets on the flywheel and the laminated plates on the coil before you tighten down the two mounting screws. It is shown around the 5 minute mark of the video I posted above. It is easier to line up the flywheel magnets if you remove the spark plug to eliminate the compression stroke back pressure.

Last edited:
Back