Half tapping sound on Toro Timemaster

I replaced the PTO belt on this mower with one from local parts store.

Since then I hear kind of half a tapping sound when the blade was engaged.

With engine off I rotate blades, pulleys, belts by hand and don't see or hear anything odd.

With engine running and blades engaged (by wife) I walk around front and the only thing odd I see is the clutch pulley (to engage the blade) going back and forth. That seems odd. I would think the cable that pulls the clutch pulley would pull it to a certain point, blades would engage and clutch pulley would stay in one place.

Belt was from auto parts store, not a Toro OEM belt.

Timemasters are hard on belts, I only use OEM Toro belts for them. It sounds like the tapping is the moving pulley to me. My guess is that the aftermarket belt is a slightly different size (even though it claims to be the same) and that slight variation is causing the idler pulley to move.

Problem resolved.

I got and installed the Toro OEM belt. It was may 3/32 of an inch wider and a little thicker that the one I got at a parts store. But as I said the one from the parts store was for OPE. (I think).

I will order Toro belts as spares.

This is a super mower. Cannot say that enough. Sure $1200 for a Toro walk behind. But it's far superior to any other walk behind/self propelled I have owned.

Last edited:
Problem resolved.

I got and installed the Toro OEM belt. It was may 3/32 of an inch wider and a little thicker that the one I got at a parts store. But as I said the one from the parts store was for OPE. (I think).

I will order Toro belts as spares.

This is a super mower. Cannot say that enough. Sure $1200 for a Toro walk behind. But
I have the timecutter 50 inch. Bought mine new in 2012, it's been great, I'm on original belts, about 200 hrs. My next one will be a 60 inch cut.

Mine does not have a suspension seat of any kind, so it's rough on my body now.

Back