Toro riding mower with Courage engine, bad buy?

Looking at a 2016 used Toro rider with about 300 hours and a 18hp Kohler Courage engine. Right now it is sight unseen with just a few pics and the guy doesn't seem to know anything (says he inherited it last year after his uncle died).

Is the 18hp a twin cylinder or single?

Are the Courage engines that bad? I have read the twin are better than the single cylinder. This is also toward the end of when they made them.

Any other thoughts appreciated.

I believe the 18hp to be a single cylinder with some simple googling.

I have a 15hp in my JD LT150 at it’s been good. I’ve had to do some work because I bought it used but overall it’s been a good motor in a good mower.

Just my $0.02

The hood shows LX420. It is made by MTD, so it's not really a Toro.

My son bought one of those used and it lasted about 6 years before it started to become a pain to replace parts on. The engine was o.k., but he had to replace the starter motor a few times. Replaced one or two blade spindles. He didn't take very good care of it and has 2 acres to mow!

Not sure where the Facebook link got "2016" and OEM $2900 from. $1200 seems like a decent price in today's climate. Get the serial number and find out it's history.

Last edited:
The hood shows LX420. It is made by MTD, so it's not really a Toro.

My son bought one of those used and it lasted about 6 years before it started to become a pain to replace parts on. The engine was o.k., but he had to replace the starter motor a few times. Replaced one or two blade spindles. He didn't take very good care of it and has 2 acres to mow!

Not sure where the Facebook link got "2016" and OEM $2900 from. $1200 seems like a decent price in today's climate. Get the serial number and find out it's history.
The deck just looks mtd.

MTD owns a bunch of brands, including Toro :sneaky:

I told him no, getting up there in hours and he didn't know much when I asked questions.

Trying to switch from a 2015 Simplicity Regent I bought last year. It is good except we use the bagger (why we sold our zero turn) and it clogs easy and even when not clogged spits grass all over my legs. And it uses a lot of gas. I bet we could sell it for about $300 more than I paid.

MTD makes OK engines. They are fuel efficient though, I can't complain on that.

I told him no, getting up there in hours and he didn't know much when I asked questions.

Trying to switch from a 2015 Simplicity Regent I bought last year. It is good except we use the bagger (why we sold our zero turn) and it clogs easy and even when not clogged spits grass all over my legs. And it uses a lot of gas. I bet we could sell it for about $300 more than I paid.
Good decision. That engine is a ticking time bomb.

You sure? I had a craftsman that had an MTD badged engine.
Those are just Chinese engines with an MTD sticker.

OP I would avoid that mower. They are an MTD rebranded with the Toro name, even though Toro is it's own company, they had a few years where MTD made lawn tractors for them. The Kohler Courage is also an engine I would stay away from.

Lubener, you scoff at tracing the Toro serial number. I have used Toro to confirm the model year of a mower made in 1986, so it CAN work.
That may have worked some time ago. Today, with customer service going down the sewer, you would be lucky to find someone spend the time on it.

My single courage engine with about 400 hours is reliable. BUT!!!
These have a pressure lubed engine, not splash. And a tiny oil pump so it will take a long time to fill the oil filter. Too long. I have not seen a shop that will prefill, takes them too much time. so evenutally BOOM. As it says in the manual, you must prefill the vertical oil filter. Kohler recommended oil filter now has a drain back valve. To prefill need to use a toothpick or small screwdriver to push back one area of the drain back so it can vent air. Then prefill, and remove toothpick. It does not damage the drain back, but if it did, the original filter did not have one so no bother. I use 10W30 auto oil. stays clean a long time. I have a small yard now, so I only change once every 2 years.

Other than that, no issues. The mtd muffler had issues but removing the screws that hold it in and welding on studs fixed that. Really loud when the muffler falls off.

Rod

Back