New Holland LS-45 Mower (aka Toro 268-H) engine replacement

I have an early 2000's New Holland LS-45 riding mower that is in need of an engine replacement. Engine powers the mower fine, but burns copious amounts of oil (not fun when you have to inhale the fumes while mowing) and requires bi-annual spark plug cleanings due to plug fouling. It also diesels terribly at shutdown when hot. Performed a compression test which read super high (>200 PSI on both cylinders) which seems to me that it's severely carbon fouled/gunked up on the inside.

This mower is the same as a Toro Wheelhorse 268H. I'm pretty sure the only thing I need at this point is crank shaft diameter for the pulleys, but I'm not able to find it despite extensive googling. Anyone know by chance what the shaft size is on this mower/engine? The sticker on the Kohler V-twin engine is worn off, so I'm unable to get the complete serial number. Only thing I know is it's a CV23 engine, which must've been a replacement at some point. AFAIK, these mowers came with a CV18 originally.

I've been considering a HF Predator V-Twin, but the shaft size is a big question mark. I can work around any exhaust placement issues. Any other potential stumbling blocks I should be aware of when replacing the engine in this unit?

Crankshaft end diameter is 1-1/8” for the CV23 Kohler. The Predator 708cc may work. The problem is the crankshaft end diameter is 1” and the crankshaft end may be shorter than the Kohler. You may need new wiring from the engine to the ignition switch and a Toro ignition switch for that engine. That is a Loncin engine and is widely used on Toro and Exmark mowers. Not a bad engine. I’ve owned two Toro mowers with that engine. Oil filters are FRAM 4967 series or STP S4967. You will have problems with other filters leaking.

Last edited:
It might be worth your time to replace the headgaskets first.
Would bad head gaskets cause the burning oil issue, and still read high compression? I'm getting 220 PSI across both cylinders, which is way above what they would have been from the factory. Not a gauge error, I've tried two.

Engine Uses Excessive Amount of Oil
● Loose or improperly torqued fasteners.
● Blown head gasket/overheated.
● Breather reed broken.
● Clogged, broken, or inoperative crankcase breather. ● Crankcase overfilled.
● Incorrect oil viscosity/type.
● Worn cylinder bore.
● Worn or broken piston rings.
● Worn valve stems/valve guides.
Also, make sure the breather tube entering the valve cover is clear of clogs or sludge.

Would bad head gaskets cause the burning oil issue, and still read high compression? I'm getting 220 PSI across both cylinders, which is way above what they would have been from the factory. Not a gauge error, I've tried two.

Yup

I've seen the valve seals on these engines cause excessive oil burning. The Kohler Command in my John Deere has worn seals, but it only smokes a puff at start-up with no noticeable consumption on the dipstick between changes. They also like to blow head gaskets, which can cause the issue you mentioned. The gaskets aren't expensive, and it's a fairly easy job. Might be worth doing before going through the hassle of trying to make a Predator fit. The crank should be the same size, but the exhaust routing and wiring can be a pain depending on your setup.

If you need an engine you might want to check out Small Engine Surplus and Small engine warehouse. I've replaced a few blown up zero turn engines with the Briggs and Stratton Commercial series V-Twins, and they seem to be a great engine. A lot better than some of the other junk Briggs sells. The last one I did was 26 or 27hp, had a really nice air filter system, pressure lube w/oil filter and an oil cooler.

Why not visit a Toro dealer to obtain the engine specs that you need? The single cylinder Kohler engine on my Wheelhorse 310 tractor lasted 24 years before having the same symptoms as yours.

probably less of a headache and cheaper to rebuild the existing motor... If you think it's carboned up why not try a piston soak, change the oil and see if it is improved. If not, then change the necessary leaking gasket's or seals.

Just my $0.02

Usually when a kohler twin blows a head gasket, you can hear it. Sounds like an exhaust leak. “Usually” gets a little quieter as the engine warms up.

I wouldn’t think you would have 220psi with blown head gaskets.

I think the oil ring may be sticky.

I think id try to do a soak and get some carbon out.

YouTube water in intake to remove carbon.

Before an oil change, put a little diesel in the oil and let it idle for a bit. Don’t use it.

Back