Toro cold weather snow blower oil

Machine arrived and was a rather straightforward put-together. The included oil was labeled Toro premium and met certifications SG, SH, SL. Didn’t pour like synthetic and the front of the bottle proudly stated “ contains Zinc additives”.
There was NO owners manual! A three page pamphlet of pictures for basic assembly was included, and I found the Toro manual downloadable on the seller’s website. Manual stated just as all of you did - available 5w30 synthetic or Dino.
Thanks for al the thoughts.
Which model did you get? I ordered a Toro 821 QZE.

I bought a 721 with a pull start.

I've had the 721E since 2014 and it couldn't be more reliable. It's a beast.

Even though it came with the electric start, I never ended up using the feature. It's easier to pull than to find a power cord to plug in that I'll probably end up running over.

I gave it an Iridium spark plug this year and it starts on the first try, every time.

NGK 6637 Iridium IX Spark Plug - BPR6EIX

I use any 5w30 fs for my toro single stage.

Next time I might try Amsoil's small engine oil:
https://www.amsoil.com/p/5w-30-synthetic-small-engine-oil-aes/

"Modern cars and light-trucks are equipped with all sorts of emissions sensors and devices. Some motor oil ingredients such as zinc can cause issues with these components. Therefore, modern automotive motor oils require a fairly sophisticated formulation approach. As small engines do not have emissions sensors and catalytic converters, AMSOIL is able to load this motor oil with anti-wear additives like zinc and phosphorus.

There is also another benefit to using this small engine oil over regular car motor oil. AMSOIL added significant anti-rust and corrosion ingredients that would not be found in automotive motor oils. Small engines are frequently stored for long periods. They may also be left outside or operate in wet conditions. This ability to prevent internal rust is a benefit to almost any small engine."
I have run the Amsoil 0w40 Formula 4-stroke oil with 3 year intervals. I changed oil this year just cause I thought I should but drained light brown next time maybe a UOA just for fun. Snowblowers just don't in general run up the hrs like other machinery and i believe yearly intervals are not a must heck lucky if many see a oil change in its lifetime. Fuel issues are generally the killer to a snowblower I have never seen a oil related issue unless it was a Snow king not filled to full level on stick.

I have run the Amsoil 0w40 Formula 4-stroke oil with 3 year intervals. I changed oil this year just cause I thought I should but drained light brown next time maybe a UOA just for fun. Snowblowers just don't in general run up the hrs like other machinery and i believe yearly intervals are not a must heck lucky if many see a oil change in its lifetime. Fuel issues are generally the killer to a snowblower I have never seen a oil related issue unless it was a Snow king not filled to full level on stick.
Agree. I started doing every other year in my snowblowers. I have a 2016 Ariens single stage 208cc and two stage 2019 Ariens Deluxe28 254cc. The Toro mowers get every two years (approx 25 hours) on the zero turn, and every year on the push. I put startron and seafoam in the gas cans (91 no ethanol) right after filling them up to avoid fuel issues in the engines. Spark plugs and air filters when I think they need it.

I ran my 518ZE out in the street to try to clean up my curb lines and where the plows have gone around our parked cars this afternoon. I'm hoping my belt makes it through the winter!

I ran my 518ZE out in the street to try to clean up my curb lines and where the plows have gone around our parked cars this afternoon. I'm hoping my belt makes it through the winter!
I don't envy any of you up north, I'm from NE Ohio originally and don't miss the snow one bit.

Just ordered a new Toro single stage and was pleased it came with a 4 cycle engine.
Supplier suggested using Toro cold weather snow blower oil.
I had never heard of it, and I’ll find the viscosity and hopefully the certifications when it arrives.
Anyone have any thoughts?
What could do is make ur own penultimate 4cycle winter oil mixture for the next 59 years at the initial cost of $12 for a 16 ounce bottle of Redline ZDDP engine break-in oil additive.

Most modern automotive engine oils (last 5 years) averaged around 800ppm of Zn but today it is even lower due to REGULATIONS.
In 992 ml of synthetic 0W-30 API oil add
8 ml of Redline to achieve a Zn level of 1500+ ppm.

Don’t tell ur wife u what u are up to, since she will accuse u of wasting time. Lol

The ZDDP calculation

What could do is make ur own penultimate 4cycle winter oil mixture for the next 59 years at the initial cost of $12 for a 16 ounce bottle of Redline ZDDP engine break-in oil additive.

Most modern automotive engine oils (last 5 years) averaged around 800ppm of Zn but today it is even lower due to REGULATIONS.
In 992 ml of synthetic 0W-30 API oil add
8 ml of Redline to achieve a Zn level of 1500+ ppm.

Don’t tell ur wife u what u are up to, since she will accuse u of wasting time. Lol

The ZDDP calculation
Why do you need those levels of ZDDP?

Why do you need those levels of ZDDP?
OPE equipment manufactures market their oil with higher Zn/P not only to charge more but they realize current automotive oils have too low of a Zn/P level for their engine OHV tappets to prevent premature wear. Look at Amsoil 4cycle engine OA Zn/P levels are 1100+ppm. U cannot be adding this stuff to ur car.

Agree. I started doing every other year in my snowblowers. I have a 2016 Ariens single stage 208cc and two stage 2019 Ariens Deluxe28 254cc. The Toro mowers get every two years (approx 25 hours) on the zero turn, and every year on the push. I put startron and seafoam in the gas cans (91 no ethanol) right after filling them up to avoid fuel issues in the engines. Spark plugs and air filters when I think they need it.
Need to watch the Tarryl fixes it All video on the one year fuel stabilizer study.

Bottom line: after 12 months no engine start difference between 87 octane 10% ethanol and gas treated with brand-name fuel stabilizer. U be the judge.
Dec fuel test

OPE equipment manufactures market their oil with higher Zn/P not only to charge more but they realize current automotive oils have too low of a Zn/P level for their engine OHV tappets to prevent premature wear. Look at Amsoil 4cycle engine OA Zn/P levels are 1100+ppm. U cannot be adding this stuff to ur car.
I wonder how I made it in all my old OPE using what the owner's manual recommends. None of them require anything but an API license, as amended. Lucky I guess.

OPE engines have such low valve spring pressure and mild cam's that high ZDDP is not really needed.
Most home owners will not notice any degradation before they buy a replacement OPE in 15+ years. But for those who aspire commercial endeavors and desire synthetic Briggs and Stratton oil but not the expense here are the older VOA postings.

B&S 5W-30 VOA Zn/P levels
B&S Vanguard 15w-50 VOA

Last edited:
Do you realize how little valve spring pressure an OPE engine actually has? This whole zinc thing is way overblown for OPE engines.

Outdoor power equipment engines are simple low compression ohv design they don’t require anything special in oil. Just follow the manufacturer’s recommendation. Or just know operating temps and load.

Looking at some past Bitog posts and assuming Zinc concentrations are similar to phosphorus ( in ZDDP), the changeover in concentration occurred with SL, and the limit already dropped to 800 ppm phosphorus with SM. I believe SM is just outdated oil put into a bottle and passed off as some special product.

Most home owners will not notice any degradation before they buy a replacement OPE in 15+ years. But for those who aspire commercial endeavors and desire synthetic Briggs and Stratton oil but not the expense here are the older VOA postings.

B&S 5W-30 VOA Zn/P levels
B&S Vanguard 15w-50 VOA
Let's see, I have a 29 year old lawnmower and a 21 year old garden tractor, generator and snow thrower. Do I qualify?

Nearly all of which have amazingly run on all of their lives on E10, save the first 10 years for the lawnmower.

Back