Toro cold weather snow blower oil

Just ordered a new Toro single stage and was pleased it came with a 4 cycle engine.
Supplier suggested using Toro cold weather snow blower oil.
I had never heard of it, and I’ll find the viscosity and hopefully the certifications when it arrives.
Anyone have any thoughts?

I just ordered a new Toro single stage as well. I plan to use whatever 5W-30 synthetic that I have on hand.

My old yard machine with a 5hp tecumseh gets 5w30 synthetic.. it’s not picky.. usually Napa or super tech

I've run 5w30 or 10w30 syn for years. Pulls over fine at 10'F. Doesn't really snow here when it gets colder than that.

I've got a 200cc chonda with compression release.

I currently have Castrol 0w40 in my Toro 721R, because I had some left over from doing a change on my BMW. Starts easy on the 1st pull and runs great. Any 5w30 would likely be fine.

I use any 5w30 fs for my toro single stage.

Next time I might try Amsoil's small engine oil:
https://www.amsoil.com/p/5w-30-synthetic-small-engine-oil-aes/

"Modern cars and light-trucks are equipped with all sorts of emissions sensors and devices. Some motor oil ingredients such as zinc can cause issues with these components. Therefore, modern automotive motor oils require a fairly sophisticated formulation approach. As small engines do not have emissions sensors and catalytic converters, AMSOIL is able to load this motor oil with anti-wear additives like zinc and phosphorus.

There is also another benefit to using this small engine oil over regular car motor oil. AMSOIL added significant anti-rust and corrosion ingredients that would not be found in automotive motor oils. Small engines are frequently stored for long periods. They may also be left outside or operate in wet conditions. This ability to prevent internal rust is a benefit to almost any small engine."

I use any 5w30 fs for my toro single stage.

Next time I might try Amsoil's small engine oil:
https://www.amsoil.com/p/5w-30-synthetic-small-engine-oil-aes/

"Modern cars and light-trucks are equipped with all sorts of emissions sensors and devices. Some motor oil ingredients such as zinc can cause issues with these components. Therefore, modern automotive motor oils require a fairly sophisticated formulation approach. As small engines do not have emissions sensors and catalytic converters, AMSOIL is able to load this motor oil with anti-wear additives like zinc and phosphorus.

There is also another benefit to using this small engine oil over regular car motor oil. AMSOIL added significant anti-rust and corrosion ingredients that would not be found in automotive motor oils. Small engines are frequently stored for long periods. They may also be left outside or operate in wet conditions. This ability to prevent internal rust is a benefit to almost any small engine."
Call me cheap I just can’t see paying for a product labeled exclusively for small engines.

Just ordered a new Toro single stage and was pleased it came with a 4 cycle engine.
Supplier suggested using Toro cold weather snow blower oil.
I had never heard of it, and I’ll find the viscosity and hopefully the certifications when it arrives.
Anyone have any thoughts?
Just use a name brand 5w-30 synthetic. End of story.

^^^That’s exactly what I do...whichever synthetic 5W30 I have on hand. My Tecumseh Snow King that I bought new in early 2008 is going strong.

Thanks guys for all the responses. The understanding of using available 5w30 is loud and clear. Has worked for my Toro lawn mower for the past 20 years, I just didn’t know if this new stuff was magic in a bottle.
Interesting note on the Amsoil lube with rust inhibitors, etc. Thanks Oledudeny.
When it is delivered, I’ll post the requirements and hopefully they will include a bottle of the “suggested elixir”.

Machine arrived and was a rather straightforward put-together. The included oil was labeled Toro premium and met certifications SG, SH, SL. Didn’t pour like synthetic and the front of the bottle proudly stated “ contains Zinc additives”.
There was NO owners manual! A three page pamphlet of pictures for basic assembly was included, and I found the Toro manual downloadable on the seller’s website. Manual stated just as all of you did - available 5w30 synthetic or Dino.
Thanks for al the thoughts.

Back