Torco, Schaeffer, or GC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a vw 1.8turbo with 55,00o miles, which is chipped and driven hard. I am going to change my oil next week and was using amsoil 5w-40 ever since I've bought the car new. But the price is too much for me, so I am trying to find alternatives. I have narrowed the choices to these three because they are very close in price.
1) Torco SR-1 5w-40
2) Schaeffer 9000 5w-40
3) German Castrol Syntec 0w-30
Pick one or rate the choices and give a reason, thank you.

1) Don't know much about performance of Torco - but it costs less than Amsoil PC?
2) Schaeffer - all their oils are great, so this would be my choice. Good UOA's.
3) GC - the G0D of all oils. The master to beat all. We are the Champions....of the WORLD.....my how the mighty have fallen. UOA's are no longer spectactular. Who knew?

I would seriously consider Rotella-T Synthetic in 5W40!!It is at every Walmart in AMerica and is $12-$14 a gallon.Torco-SR1 is really beefy product but the price with shipping is not so hot! Same goes for Schaffer's the shipping cost's are insane.If I was going to mail order an oil for a high reving turbosharged engine I woulod go with Torco SR-1 in 5W40 at my first choice. If I was ordering a 5W40 for a noramly asperated engine I would go with Schaffer's 5W40. I would stay away from GC 0W30 as lately it has not been turning in good numbers like it hasinthe past. I also am not a huge fan of Castrol or AMsoil's 5W40 product's they are a little to weak in the knee's in my opinon so that they could meet VW's standards.

Like Pablo said, I would think it would be more expensive than the Amsoil. Out of the three you listed, my choice would be:

1) Schaeffer 9000 5W-40
2) Torco SR-1 5W-40 (are you sure they make 5W-40 in the SR-1?)
3) German Castrol Syntec 0W-30 (if you can find it)

The Schaeffer 9000 is a Group III/PAO blend, the SR-1 is a Group III, and who knows what the new German Castrol is. I really like the additive package on the Schaeffer's.

Just my opinion.

I agree with JB on this one , also consider Valvoline Synpower 5w40 it really stands out in bench testing. The others are waaay over priced after to pay the insane shipping charges.

Out of the three you listed...I say Schaeffer's...SalesRep has a really good deal if you buy two cases...the reason I say Schaeffer's is because it has been talked about enough around here...that one can conclude from observing...it is good oil...Plenty of UOA's here...see for yourself...
cheers.gif

If it's price/performance ratio that I'm looking at, I'd use the Rotella or Schaeffers 9000. It's too bad that their 7000 doesn't have a 5w40.

Originally Posted By: JohnBrowning
I would stay away from GC 0W30 as lately it has not been turning in good numbers like it hasinthe past.

Can you point me to posts that show GC has been turning out not so good numbers as before? I tried a search and didn't come up with anything recent. TIA

Quote:

Can you point me to posts that show GC has been turning out not so good numbers as before? I tried a search and didn't come up with anything recent. TIA

That is odd that I will type-in GC 0W-30... even just GC - then highlight the UOA Forum - then see no hits for it. Something is wrong there with the search feature - since I know some folks have turned-in GC UOAs here.

I can't speak of the oils you have listed, but i would consider Rottela 5w40 syn available @ any walmart for $16 a gallon. Price seems to be a factor here & that would be a good HDEO for your app w/ a UOA @ 5000 miles to see how things are doing. I am sure there are lots of UOA for your engine & that oil in UOA section of this sight.
joe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back