Topping off oil - Does BRAND matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by 69GTX
SOPUS (Pennzoil and Quaker State) are basically high calcium oils. I don't think they use sodium in anything. The other guys have used sodium some....and seem to bounce back and forth. Mobil 1 has remained high Calcium. Castrol Edge has flip flopped though currently I think they're back to high Calcium. But Valvoline is the leader of Sodium oils for years now....though even some of their oils are high calcium such as the MST's. Most of the major oils on the shelf today are still higher Calcium. So one thing I don't do is mix Sodium and Calcium oils.

SOPUS like just about everyone else has switched to Magnesium/Calcium for detergent do to LPSI.

Originally Posted by Leo99
On my Rav4, I add oil every 500 miles. I don't care about brands or viscosity. I'll use whatever I have but not the good synthetic. Only cheap dino.

On your car, I'd try to use the same brand and viscosity and take it to an independent shop or the dealer and try to figure out what's wrong with it and why you're using so much oil. Maybe it's a simple thing like an oil pan gasket that only leaks when you're driving and you don't see any puddles or burning. Your car is new enough with low enough miles it could be repaired and have another 200k miles left in her.

You know, that's an interesting idea. Because I never see any oil puddles, and there is no sign of a leak within the engine compartment, I figured it would have to be something super expensive to fix. But boy, if it's an oil pan gasket or something simple like that, it would be fantastic news!

Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by slickoil

BTW, I read that it's the Super Tech brand that on the back of their Power Steering Fluid says not to use it to completely replace your power steering fluid!!! Made me a bit nervous about the brand.
See the reviews at https://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tech-Power-Steering-Fluid-32-oz/16821276

Are you sure about that?

Yep. One of the reviews for the Super Tech power steering fluid says:

"Please read the back of the bottle!!! This is only for topping the lost amount. According to the manufacturer's instructions(in the back side of the bottle) THEY DON'T RECOMMEND USING THIS FOR REPLACING THE WHOLE FLUID. Just be careful, use only for top off."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back