Topping off oil - Does BRAND matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2010 Toyota Prius. I now get a great deal at the dealership for oil changes (surprising, I know).

The Prius takes 0W20, but sometimes I've used 5W20 in the past (full synthetic in either case).

I also have a Costco membership, so I can buy Mobil 1 quarts at a good price when they have a sale.

The Prius burns about 1qt/1000 miles, so I need to top off with a full quart frequently (about once per month).

Does it matter what brand I use to top off the oil? Or does it only matter that I match viscosity?

I like using the same brand, but mixing is not going to hurt anything. As far as the 0w20 mixed with the 5w20, again no problem.

I use all sorts of on hand oils for top off. I mix brands and weights all the time. Never any issues.

Originally Posted by sw99
I use all sorts of on hand oils for top off. I mix brands and weights all the time. Never any issues.

Same. I just added 2/3 a quart of conventional valvoline 10w-30 to my Taurus with Mobil 1 HM 5w-30 in the sump. It's been in the trunk for years just hanging out. Plan to change in the spring.

It seems that you are effectively giving yourself an oil change every 4K miles with that burn rate!

I use whatever swill I have on hand as long as it meets spec.

There used to be a minor caution about mixing Calcium TBN with Sodium TBN oils. Calcium meaning Valvoline, and Sodium, everyone else.

But now Valvoline uses Sodium like everyone else.

In honor of the change, I mixed all my old 0w-, 5w, -20 and -30 Calcium based Valvoline oils and came up with enough for an oil change, and put it one of my vehicles. It's well out of warranty and the engine doesn't care, runs the same. I think I cleared out over a foot of shelf space of old jugs and quarts.

Same here........................ it really, truly doesn't matter

SOPUS (Pennzoil and Quaker State) are basically high calcium oils. I don't think they use sodium in anything. The other guys have used sodium some....and seem to bounce back and forth. Mobil 1 has remained high Calcium. Castrol Edge has flip flopped though currently I think they're back to high Calcium. But Valvoline is the leader of Sodium oils for years now....though even some of their oils are high calcium such as the MST's. Most of the major oils on the shelf today are still higher Calcium. So one thing I don't do is mix Sodium and Calcium oils.

Last edited:
mixed 0/5/10/15/20w20/30/40/50, along with monograde, all at the same time. All brands, even Valvoline. No issues.

Originally Posted by Dyusik
mixed 0/5/10/15/20w20/30/40/50, along with monograde, all at the same time. All brands, even Valvoline. No issues.

No you shouldn't and ASTM D6922 is there to make sure you don't. However, the mixture doesn't necessarily meet any standards nor carry any approvals (in fact it is nearly guaranteed not to do so). But it will not make a harmful mixture.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tech-Synthetic-0w20-5q-Dexos1-Gen2/254038905

$15.98 and free 2 day shipping on $35 or over deals

Wow that stuff is cheap! Is it any good? Does it meet Toyota's specs for the Prius? I've always treated the Prius to Mobil 1, but it costs MUCH more.

Also, do you know if it's high Sodium or Calcium (not that I know what that means, except what 69GTX wrote above!)?

BTW, I read that it's the Super Tech brand that on the back of their Power Steering Fluid says not to use it to completely replace your power steering fluid!!! Made me a bit nervous about the brand.
See the reviews at https://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tech-Power-Steering-Fluid-32-oz/16821276

Last edited:
Originally Posted by slickoil
Wow that stuff is cheap! Is it any good? Does it meet Toyota's specs for the Prius? I've always treated the Prius to Mobil 1, but it costs MUCH more.

What is Toyota's spec for the Prius? That would answer the question of whether it meets it or not.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by slickoil

What is Toyota's spec for the Prius? That would answer the question of whether it meets it or not.

Outside of full synthetic 0W20 or 5W20, I don't have any spec information. Where would it be located?

I would talk to the dealership about that much oil consumption. You are doing two oil changes every 5K miles. At a 5K OCI your average oil age is 2500 miles.

Otherwise refill with the cheapest synthetic 0w20 oil available. Doesnt matter which brand as long as its Dexos and API SN.

On my Rav4, I add oil every 500 miles. I don't care about brands or viscosity. I'll use whatever I have but not the good synthetic. Only cheap dino.

On your car, I'd try to use the same brand and viscosity and take it to an independent shop or the dealer and try to figure out what's wrong with it and why you're using so much oil. Maybe it's a simple thing like an oil pan gasket that only leaks when you're driving and you don't see any puddles or burning. Your car is new enough with low enough miles it could be repaired and have another 200k miles left in her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back