Top Tier or Regular Fuel with PEA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What say you?

Would you use Top-Tier fuel with nothing in it or use any fuel that was the cheapest even if not name-brand but add a PEA fuel system cleaner to each fill-up?

Or would you use PEA fuel system cleaner in a Top-Tier fuel to ensure your engine is super clean?

I was thinking of ditching Shell here which always seems to be a few cents more per litre than the other guys and just going with the cheapest fuel with some PEA based fuel system cleaner added to each tank to make up for the additives not in the fuel like Top-Tier has...

Why not use UOA to determine what works?
56.gif

I like to get top tier at every fill up and sometimes run the fuel cleaner. If you don't use top tier you'd definitely want to run the cleaner. I'm guessing top tier without using the cleaner is cheaper and as effective or more than the other option.

Typically, with the exception of Shell, top tier gas is the same price as non-top tier gas, at least in Oklahoma with Quicktrip and Conoco. So it's a no-brainer for me. Use top tier gas and every 6 months throw in some Seafoam and Chevron Techron.

I just use top tier and don't bother with any additives. My cars always seem to run just fine :)

Originally Posted By: Capa
Typically, with the exception of Shell, top tier gas is the same price as non-top tier gas, at least in Oklahoma with Quicktrip and Conoco. So it's a no-brainer for me. Use top tier gas and every 6 months throw in some Seafoam and Chevron Techron.
Not here... Shell is always more than the others even when there is another station across the street like Petro-Can.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Not here... Shell is always more than the others even when there is another station across the street like Petro-Can.

Petro-Canada is Top Tier.

http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Originally Posted By: prax
56.gif

How would that show what works? Just curious
Well it could show fuel dilution and it could also change the TAN level because using a strong additive could affect the combustion by-products.

If we weren't burning gas in the engine the oil wouldn't get dirty it would just fill up with wear metals.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Gene K

Petro-Canada is Top Tier.

http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html

I know it is, but I get slight worse mileage and my engine will ping when it's been sitting in traffic and the temperature on my scan gauge is 210-212F

Doesn't do that with Shell at all...

My engine doesn't have an EGR valve.

For myself I run Shell V power in the GS 99.8888% of the time. I have done Seafoam twice to it with no more than (literally) a tiny puff of smoke. This is through a vacuum line under the supercharger.

So now I just use Isoheet red bottle randomly to keep any moisture that may or may not be present in my gas tank under control.

Last edited:
There's only one Top-Tier retailer in my area, Shell.

Since it usually has the worst price, I use cheap gas with some PEA cleaner (Regane, Techron, etc.) with every fill. If the price differential is negligible, I'll fill with Shell.

I've been thinking a lot about this also... really should run at least 89 octane in my truck and the top tier stations run a lot more here for both 89 and 91 octane.

Wonder if running non top tier fuel and a bottle of techron every 3 to 5k miles would keep it about as clean?

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Originally Posted By: prax
56.gif

How would that show what works? Just curious
Well it could show fuel dilution and it could also change the TAN level because using a strong additive could affect the combustion by-products.

If we weren't burning gas in the engine the oil wouldn't get dirty it would just fill up with wear metals.
wink.gif

That seems like a heckuva stretch.

Terry has seen my UOA's with Canadian Tire Gas (No Name Bulk Fuel provided by Exxon) and then with Shell regular and Shell V-Power without changing the oil type and brand and there was less fuel dilution with the shell and less chromium suggesting less ring wear according to him. The TAN was also lower and the TBN higher.

Same summer weather, same driving patterns every week.

Proof in the pudding for me to keep using Shell.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back