Took GTO to the track last night

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I been having the itch for the past few weeks and ended up going to the track(drag strip) last night. With that said, do i know have to change my oil? I'm using Amsoil ASO 5w30 with the EAO 25k filter. Has about 2500miles on it. I probably made a good 6 passes.

LMAO...i kinda did it on purpose. Wanted to see if BITOG has any cool people on here...jk

only mods are eibach springs,B&M shifter and kooks axlebacks. on street tires.

[email protected]
60ft 2.19
1/8 mile 8.79

That was my very first pass and the very first run of the night. The rest of the runs were horrible. Left lane as supposed to be street tires and they still wet it down. Coupla times it got scary when i was starting to get sideways at the top of 2nd. After that I decided it was time to quit while im ahead. I'm pretty happy with results....especially the ALMOST 109mph. This car does not feel that fast when just daily driving. Really civil feeling. It really starts to shine as you get it up the rpms/mph.

Last edited:
That is pretty good! Get your 60 foot time down. I know it is hard to do with the M6 and IRS. When my 00 was stock it would trap right around 108 mph.

No need to change your oil. It will be fine.

Well it was my first pass and i was wanting to take it a little easy. If i woulda known that they would have started spraying water everywhere i would have launched it a bit harder. On my hawk, when i did go to the track. i would pull 1.9s on street tires and basic suspension mods.

Originally Posted By: Firehawk409
Left lane as supposed to be street tires and they still wet it down.

Don't be afraid to burn those street hides to dry them, I do so at my track cause they always wet it down and can't drive around the water...

My procedure is smoke 'em good for three or four seconds, then roll SLOWLY to the line, this cools the tires and picks up some of the traction compound sprayed on the launch area... Once staged, hold brake, bring up the revs to maybe 2000(you'll have to experiment with RPM), when the tree comes down press the accelerator smoothly to the floor(should take approx ½ - ¾ second) and hold on...

I used this procedure last fall with my Marauder to pull a best 60ft of 1.87, which was no doubt on the edge(I blew the tires off trying for less)... It has 100% stock air bag suspension and would knock out 1.89-1.91 short times fairly easily...

BTW I won street class that night, only time I've raced it since I bought it in Aug '10...

Good old RWD and V-8s. You don't need to change your oil, I ran 30 passes, did a bunch of driving (HARD) through mountains and that was with 4200kms on the oil...I could've easily made it all the way to Nissan's mileage recommendation but I caved on the "time" recommendation for warranty purposes.

Excellent times. A bad day at the strip is better than a good day most other places IMO!

Agree on the sixty foot time, life begins under 2.0. I've run 1.8x times but only rarely, as you must get everything just about perfect.

(Jab coming!) But all you two door sports car drivers will have to raise your game so you can run with the old man in his 4 door luxury sedan!

Love those cars!! Used to drive one every chance I got when I worked at the local Pontiac dealer. BTW, does your battery run down often? I say this because we always had to use a jumper pack when they were brand new on the lot.

Impressive results for a street car. Congratulations!

We run a '67 Camaro small block 1/4-mile car. It runs low nines with a little nitrous, and the engine is torn down every winter for inspection. We've been running plain ol' Mobil 1 5w30 with AC-Delco Gold filters (no longer available). After hundreds of runs, we can't detect any engine wear. We start the season with fresh oil and a new filter and add less than a quart of oil racing from April through October. We've been doing this for more than 10 years, and the car is still running as strong as ever.

I wouldn't worry about changing oil after only six passes.

SmallCCRTburnout.jpg

Thought your 1/4 mile would have been a little less, but there's variables.

I should get low 12's out of my GTO, but need to wait for Spring & a track to confirm.

What's your RWHP & RWTQ?

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Excellent times. A bad day at the strip is better than a good day most other places IMO!

Agree on the sixty foot time, life begins under 2.0. I've run 1.8x times but only rarely, as you must get everything just about perfect.

(Jab coming!) But all you two door sports car drivers will have to raise your game so you can run with the old man in his 4 door luxury sedan!

Hmmm....never run it at the track, but the 'ol Vette would probably be pretty competitive....4.10-1 gears, hypertech tune with a 160 stat, corsa pipes, open air box lid, K&N, airfoil, etc.

Last edited:
Those short gears are really good for the strip!

Note my times are all on street tires, no drag radials. I like to know how it runs just like you drive it!

Let's go...heads up!

I would love to run on the track! Seems like I never make time though. Quick blast on the backroads is the best it gets for this guy! 4.10s aint bad when you have a .5-1 overdrive!

That's a super tall OD, my trans uses a whole different strategy.

My first gear is 3.59 to one! That's like your trans with a 4.56 rear gear even though I only have a 3.06 to one ratio gear in the pumpkin.

Makes getting out of the hole pretty tricky. Remeber this is a nearly 4400 pound luxo car, that's quite a few extra people in the Vette at around 3300!

Biggest problem GTO's have is the tires. 235's in the back is not enough for the power or weight. Very easy to overwhelm them.

I think with wider tires most would reliably run high 12's. Instead, people are all over the place with them. I've seen 12.6 to well over 13.7 on stock cars from people who can drive decently.

Nice to read these threads. A man only take the "What is the lightest oil for my hybrid in order to reduce carbon emissions" threads so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back