Too Slow !!??

Up here in Dallas they used to have the regular speed limit sign, and a sign beneath it that said "min speed limit".

Also depends where your from if you get a ticket. Out of state, you pay. I drove thur Atlanta and was white knuckle all the way. Daughter moved to Oklahoma, traffic was semi krazy. Then she moved to Plano Texas. O...M...G... Every stop light was a drag race to the next stop light. She said the red light tickets were "Money" makers. It was funny to see all skid marks at the intersections from slamming on the brakes, and God help you if were .004 late on the green light. Darnest thing I ever seen.
Thankfully the red light cameras were ruled unconstitutional and pulled from service. People now run the "orange" & red lights with wild abandon.

I just finished a road trip from DFW to Chicago. I saw in OK, MO, and parts of IL mininum and maximum speed limits on the hwy. 40-45 min 65-75 max. I've seen them on the toll roads in Texas but never on regular highways. If you're doing 40 on the highway you need to get off and use the side roads, you're not being safer you're actually a hazard.
How does one exactly drive on side roads when rural highways are the only roads? Generally if someone is driving that slow and holding up traffic, they should be pulling to the shoulder and letting others pass.

Up here in Dallas they used to have the regular speed limit sign, and a sign beneath it that said "min speed limit".
Hmm, I’ve lived in DFW for far too long, never seen a minimum speed limit sign here. I do remember seeing dedicated truck speed limit signs. They’ve started disappearing in the last decade or less.

Red light cameras are still in use in some cities. They post the locations of the cameras online to make people aware of them. Then if you get caught by one it is your own fault LOL.

Hmm, I’ve lived in DFW for far too long, never seen a minimum speed limit sign here. I do remember seeing dedicated truck speed limit signs. They’ve started disappearing in the last decade or less.
Yep I remember those too,and then the “65mph night” speed limit signs.

in town or any area with houses or schools, precisely at speed limit. on state highways, no more than 2mph over. on interstate highways, no more than 5mph over. on wide, long, sweeping highway entry ramps, wide open.

We have a four lane (Hwy 81) that goes from my town south and is 70 mph, problem is every country mile road has access to it and turn lanes at each one plus a few houses have access. In my opinion that is to many access points for that speed.

There's a 2-lane road between Mabank and Canton, TX that I can't bring myself to drive the limit on. There are HUNDREDS of little driveways and other farm roads joining this highway, some on blind curves, that make me very nervous to even ride with someone, much less drive on. Forget about it at night. I've always found it astounding that they made this road 65mph. There are old-timers sitting and waiting to pull out in front of someone along this road, and they do it.

Canton.JPG

There's a 2-lane road between Mabank and Canton, TX that I can't bring myself to drive the limit on. There are HUNDREDS of little driveways and other farm roads joining this highway, some on blind curves, that make me very nervous to even ride with someone, much less drive on. Forget about it at night. I've always found it astounding that they made this road 65mph. There are old-timers sitting and waiting to pull out in front of someone along this road, and they do it.

View attachment 53868
That does seem rather questionable. Maybe if it was 4 lanes wide, something like that, with on/off areas.

Shoulders look a bit thin. As a cyclist this does not look like a road I'd care to be on.

80/94 in Lake County Indiana is basically the Indianapolis 500... 55mph limit but you better be doing 65 minimum in any lane except the furthest most left lane where it seems to be 80+.

I sigh and have to mentally prepare myself everytime I merge to i94 from i65. Left lane is doing 80, the 2nd lane from the left is doing 60, and the other 3 lanes are filled with people doing over 80 to pass the people camping in the left two lanes lol.

View attachment 53868
Some of these roads are 70mph! Way too dangerous

View attachment 53868
For anyone who cares, this what the majority of rural Farm to Market (FM) roads look like in Texas...

Back