Too Slow !!??

I've heard that 10% over is allowed. That's not official of course and you could get a ticket for 51 in a 50 zone but I've never heard of it.

I used to live in Edmonton which is a fairly big city. There seemed to be different rules during rush hour. Everyone was driving the same speed and (shall we say) a bit fast. And I never saw a radar trap during rush hours, or a crash either.

I suppose the theory is that working people are mostly good drivers, and everyone is driving on a familiar route, and in a good vehicle so the police should just stay out of the way and let them get to work.

The bad drivers seemed to come out later, the ones who don't stop at 4 way stops, or change lanes without looking, etc. Between rush hours the speed laws were enforced.

We have a local highway that is notorious for speeding. The State Police have basically said in public that they will "ignore" drivers going up to 17mph over the posted limit, but if you are exceeding that they will come after you. There are so many drivers each day going way faster than 17mph over the limit that the police keep themselves very busy.

I recall years ago being in the car with my Dad on said highway. A Crown Vic pulled up along side, and the driver gave him the "slow down" hand gesture. Turned out to be an unmarked State Trooper. He pulled ahead and pulled over a car ahead of us. My Dad stopped behind the trooper on the road as well as he was kind of confused about the whole situation. The trooper walked up and asked if everything was OK. My Dad said he wanted to make sure he was good, and the trooper said "I paced you at 72mph. This is technically a 55mph zone, but try to keep it around 70mph." Funny thing was, my Dad had the cruise control set at 72mph so that confirmed for us the cruise control and speedometer were accurate.

I had a friend in high school get pulled over for driving 37mph in a 35mph zone. He received a ticket and points from the local police. Most likely because he was 17 at the time with a fully restored '69 Camaro SS. He went to court, but the officer showed up and the judge agreed with the officer. Fine and points were assessed.

Also had another high school friend get stopped really late at night for driving 105mph in a 25mph zone. His car was towed from the scene and he lost his license for 1 year.

whenever im in illinois it’s basically a free for all

the speed limits on i55 heading towards chicago is usually 60-65. state police will ignore you until about 90mph+.

without traffic the left lane hogs cruise at about 85, the middle passing lane at 80 and the rightmost is usually 70-75. navigating this is like an obstacle course, i hate having to do triple digit passes from the right and people not moving over even when flashed.

We have a local highway that is notorious for speeding. The State Police have basically said in public that they will "ignore" drivers going up to 17mph over the posted limit, but if you are exceeding that they will come after you. There are so many drivers each day going way faster than 17mph over the limit that the police keep themselves very busy.

I recall years ago being in the car with my Dad on said highway. A Crown Vic pulled up along side, and the driver gave him the "slow down" hand gesture. Turned out to be an unmarked State Trooper. He pulled ahead and pulled over a car ahead of us. My Dad stopped behind the trooper on the road as well as he was kind of confused about the whole situation. The trooper walked up and asked if everything was OK. My Dad said he wanted to make sure he was good, and the trooper said "I paced you at 72mph. This is technically a 55mph zone, but try to keep it around 70mph." Funny thing was, my Dad had the cruise control set at 72mph so that confirmed for us the cruise control and speedometer were accurate.

I had a friend in high school get pulled over for driving 37mph in a 35mph zone. He received a ticket and points from the local police. Most likely because he was 17 at the time with a fully restored '69 Camaro SS. He went to court, but the officer showed up and the judge agreed with the officer. Fine and points were assessed.

Also had another high school friend get stopped really late at night for driving 105mph in a 25mph zone. His car was towed from the scene and he lost his license for 1 year.
When I was in traffic court I don’t think that I ever found anyone guilty of speeding for going less than 10 mph over the posted limit. One of my prosecutors drove a Mustang GT convertible and she had a heavier right foot than I did...

Probably just wanted to see what you were smoking! ;)
Could be worse. I had a friend that got a ticket for doing 47 in a 45 mph zone!
They pretty much quit giving tickets on I95 down here unless you are doing triple digits. I95 has three speed limits, right lane 70+ middle lane77+ left lane 85+.

When I was in traffic court I don’t think that I ever found anyone guilty of speeding for going less than 10 mph over the posted limit. One of my prosecutors drove a Mustang GT convertible and she had a heavier right foot than I did...

Yeah, we were all surprised he got stuck with the fine and the points. We were thinking they would have just charged the fine and not given any points. We think it was because he was 17 and they were trying to make an impression on him or something. They made an impression on him alright and it was not the one they were going for.

yes, but driving the legal limit should never be slow... otherwise what's the point of having a limit
As stated-it depends if you have a line of cars behind you. If you have a certain number you are supposed to pull over and let them pass. I tow a travel trailer all over the country and am very aware of this requirement. If I get three behind me-I pull over.

So you propose that people drive faster?
Yes that IS the solution and it is tolerated and in effect in the Boston area. Typically the two fast lanes travel at 80MPH + without the State Police bothering anyone during the "Rush Hour" .
The other most TERRIBLE State solution was to open the breakdown lane during Rush Hour.
I can guarantee you that when listening to the local AM radio Traffic and Weather WBZ 1030 that there will be a BAD accident in the Andover and Wilmington ingress to I 93 south at least three times a week. State promoted carnage. I had to take back road to work in Wilmington though neighborhoods due to this state atrocity - and that's not a good solution either!

This is 2021 Gramps; the GO! pedal is on the right!

Yes that IS the solution and it is tolerated and in effect in the Boston area. Typically the two fast lanes travel at 80MPH + without the State Police bothering anyone during the "Rush Hour" .
The other most TERRIBLE State solution was to open the breakdown lane during Rush Hour.
I can guarantee you that when listening to the local AM radio Traffic and Weather WBZ 1030 that there will be a BAD accident in the Andover and Wilmington ingress to I 93 south at least three times a week. State promoted carnage. I had to take back road to work in Wilmington though neighborhoods due to this state atrocity - and that's not a good solution either!

This is 2021 Gramps; the GO! pedal is on the right!
My motto is: "Go Fast or Go Home!"

well, 6% over and they will get you here. And that's assuming their equipment is calibrated correctly. It can be off by 6% and the fine still stands. 18 mph over and you will walk for a while...

Two things I remember from driver ed is all the horrible films they showed us and the instructor always throwing in "drive with the flow".

Last edited:
I’m just going to drop this right here.

I encourage some of you to try to be better citizens.
Tut-tutting from the Safety Gestapo; that's sure convincing.
I’m guessing you would love to see the return of the ridiculous 55 mph NMSL as well.

Last edited:
I like driving fast, but rush hour is the wrong time imo...
I don't have a radar/laser detector, so going with the herd works for me. Plus going with the flow just feels safer.

I've driven a few times during rush hour down where Arco's talking about. Fun times.

Back