Too Slow !!??

I don't have a radar/laser detector, so going with the herd works for me. Plus going with the flow just feels safer.

I've driven a few times during rush hour down where Arco's talking about. Fun times.
I need to trade my old V1 for the new second generation model.

A friend of mine is a KY State Trooper; he told me that a lot of the phoned in reports of impaired drivers turn out to be elderly people driving slow and holding up other traffic.
I love watching Ky troopers videos on the real world police YT channel, they’re total badаsses

I agree with going with the flow of course, but I don't agree the flow if it's very busy should be at 90 or more... but that's something only government can adjust, probably not a popular move

Highways will have posted minimum speed that you need to maintain, as somebody driving way too slow can be just as dangerous as somebody driving too fast. If you're cruising on the highway at 110 km/hr and you rear end a car going 50km/hr it's essentially the same thing as rear ending a stationary car at 60 km/hr.

I've heard that 10% over is allowed. That's not official of course and you could get a ticket for 51 in a 50 zone but I've never heard of it.

I used to live in Edmonton which is a fairly big city. There seemed to be different rules during rush hour. Everyone was driving the same speed and (shall we say) a bit fast. And I never saw a radar trap during rush hours, or a crash either.

I suppose the theory is that working people are mostly good drivers, and everyone is driving on a familiar route, and in a good vehicle so the police should just stay out of the way and let them get to work.

The bad drivers seemed to come out later, the ones who don't stop at 4 way stops, or change lanes without looking, etc. Between rush hours the speed laws were enforced.
I got a ticket once for 17 in a 15, seriously. It was in Fayetteville NC and I was in the Army. Cops targeted military because they knew we had to basically pay and shut up. Hated the cops there ;0

My wife and I were traveling on a road we never used before. I have a digital dash
so I knew I was going 40 as the sign said. I got pulled over by a cop and
he tells me I was going too slow *** !!!!????
Dash set on Metric? You think you are doing 40 MPH, but really doing 40KPH (about 25MPH)???

The speed cameras in Wash. DC trigger at 11 mph over.
I suspect the cameras and live enforcement in the area (DC, MD, VA) generally use the same threshold.

My "target" speed is 5 over, but flexible depending on conditions.
I'll go high as 9 over to go with the flow.
At rare times I've been on crazy fast highways in New England etc. and gone faster in order not to be an obstacle.
On secondary rural roads, like in the Carolinas, where the speed limit drops drastically going into little towns, I drop right to the limit.
I've had no speeding tickets in over 20 years.

Back in the 1970s right after 55 mph took effect I knew someone who got a ticket for going 56 mph on a highway outside Chicago.

Brussels has become a 30 kph zone beginning of this year (down from 50), except for where a higher speed is indicated. Police writes fines starting 37 kph. The courts have a huge backlog by now, something like 11,000 cases since a few weeks ago, so asked police to be a bit more leniant. In areas that aren't considered dangerous they will write fines starting at 47 kph now.

that's a thousand fines a week, 54 euro minimum.

whenever im in illinois it’s basically a free for all

the speed limits on i55 heading towards chicago is usually 60-65. state police will ignore you until about 90mph+.

without traffic the left lane hogs cruise at about 85, the middle passing lane at 80 and the rightmost is usually 70-75. navigating this is like an obstacle course, i hate having to do triple digit passes from the right and people not moving over even when flashed.

Welcome to Illinois! One of the states with the worst drivers IMO (FL and CA top the list though.) The moment you cross the state lines into IL you can tell the difference in drivers - god forbid you have to cross in via 90/94 to Chicago. Here you'll almost always be safe doing 75 in a 65, 70 in a 55, and 80 in the morning/evening rush hour. Almost nobody moves out the left lane within 30 miles of the city and you'll still get people tailgating you when you're cruise controlling at 70mph in the middle or right lane at 3AM. Nobody uses cruise control either so you'll constantly have to play leap frog on a 4-lane highway.

Here's what I do: school zone? I do the max posted limit. Roads with traffic? 5-10 over what's the max. Highway? 20 - 30 over what's listed. Of course this is in Km/phr. You have to keep the flow of traffic in mind.

Also, I detest left lane hogs, people who have their lights off at night and people with the "baby on board stickers" who drive like absolute morons. Oh and cops don't have ticket quotas they've already told us by don't ;)

I just finished a road trip from DFW to Chicago. I saw in OK, MO, and parts of IL mininum and maximum speed limits on the hwy. 40-45 min 65-75 max. I've seen them on the toll roads in Texas but never on regular highways. If you're doing 40 on the highway you need to get off and use the side roads, you're not being safer you're actually a hazard.

Was this single lane road or mult-lane? If multi lane where you on the LEFT (PASSING) lane?

I try to drive 6 over the limit on fast roads and just a few over on slower roads like 35 or 40 limit. One time in 1979 I was driving a fully loaded ( actually overloaded carrying more weight than it was rated for but that is the way that company ran things ) 28 ft. flatbed on a highway on an extremely hot day and doing 6 over and a whole gang of Harleys passed me doing maybe 15 over posted. They disappeared from view, but not for long. A few minutes later one police car had the entire gang pulled over and was writing tickets. I thought that officer was brave pulling over a whole gang of motorcycles on his own.

There is a road along the river by Elizabeth PA that has a bend in it where it gets into an area with some houses around there, and the speed limit drops down in that area before you get to the small air-port. The local police sit around the bend and you can not see them until you are at the sign for the reduced speed. They write a very high number of speeding tickets there.

And anybody who travels in Ohio knows that Cuyahoga Falls Ohio is the speeding ticket capital of Ohio. If you have an out of state plate, you better be doing a few under the posted. They really rake it in with out of state plates.

Welcome to Illinois! One of the states with the worst drivers IMO (FL and CA top the list though.) The moment you cross the state lines into IL you can tell the difference in drivers - god forbid you have to cross in via 90/94 to Chicago. Here you'll almost always be safe doing 75 in a 65, 70 in a 55, and 80 in the morning/evening rush hour. Almost nobody moves out the left lane within 30 miles of the city and you'll still get people tailgating you when you're cruise controlling at 70mph in the middle or right lane at 3AM. Nobody uses cruise control either so you'll constantly have to play leap frog on a 4-lane highway.
80/94 in Lake County Indiana is basically the Indianapolis 500... 55mph limit but you better be doing 65 minimum in any lane except the furthest most left lane where it seems to be 80+.

Reactions: Pew
Also depends where your from if you get a ticket. Out of state, you pay. I drove thur Atlanta and was white knuckle all the way. Daughter moved to Oklahoma, traffic was semi krazy. Then she moved to Plano Texas. O...M...G... Every stop light was a drag race to the next stop light. She said the red light tickets were "Money" makers. It was funny to see all skid marks at the intersections from slamming on the brakes, and God help you if were .004 late on the green light. Darnest thing I ever seen.

Back