Toilet tank additives. from chlorine to Mr Bubbles

Status
Not open for further replies.
what do you use to keep your toilet clean ? i bought several of those (the works toilet tabs) that look,smell,and seem like chlorine... and im tickled pink to how well they work..

the only thing im scared about is the issues with chemicals eating tank components and id rather not deal with that chaos...

so lets hear the secrets.. what do you use for your automatic toilet bowl cleaner/system ?

I have hard well water and a septic system so i avoid in tank bleaches.
I resort to a good scrub with a green scotch pad.
I do use the scubbing bubbles toilet gel, as it seems to soften the water and leave less of a lime ring. Its septic safe. But it only affects the water line and below. The upper area i have to scrub with scotch pads to remove the hard water deposits.
I need a water softener, but i don't have a good place for it or a good place for it to drain the salt as it cycles. I don't want to salt up the soil around my house, i have lots of trees.

If you have a toilet bowl plug for the toilet you can fill it up to the rim and add a cup of bleach and that helps a lot.

I typically just like the bleach tabs.

toilet brush + goose-neck toilet cleaner regularly.

For stains: a cup of bleach left for 1hr, then flush.

Never used those cleaner pucks.

Q.

Originally Posted By: 3800Series
If you have a toilet bowl plug for the toilet you can fill it up to the rim and add a cup of bleach and that helps a lot.

I typically just like the bleach tabs.

i may invest in one of those...

i know to some my question may sound silly but in a few days we will be closing on our new house... so i was looking at a few ways to keep atleast 1 head clean round the clock while we have guests and such over....

i friend of mine uses bar soap in a commercially bought cleaner system and every time you use his potty the flush blasts a great smell in the room... im thinking about copying his system with average joe parts. i tossed a tab in the garage toilet and in 2 days the nasty growth stuff disolved and i havent had to touch it in months...

Whatever toilet cleaner the wife gets, and a simple toilet brush. Good enough. Have to clean the rest of the bath, not that much more time to clean this way vs some sort of no-clean product.

Chlorine based is best, but get a system that puts the tablets in a container in line with the tube that goes to the overfill tube. That way it won't eat any tank parts as it goes straight into the bowl after the flush, and does it work fhen.

Not sure those tabs that go in the tank are safe for the gaskets and such... Just roll up your sleeve and dive right on in the with a rag.
sick.gif

Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner
Chlorine based is best, but get a system that puts the tablets in a container in line with the tube that goes to the overfill tube. That way it won't eat any tank parts as it goes straight into the bowl after the flush, and does it work fhen.

bang...

chlorine is way more expensive then i thought...

but i guess its a life time supply, almost

Originally Posted By: leroyd92
what do you use to keep your toilet clean ?

I do my business elsewhere.

Make sure to not ever add chlorine to the tank. It will ruin the flapper and filler valves and the fumes will stain your toilet tank gun.

I use Chlorox bleach tablets, and they work quite well to keep the bowl clean. Alas, my flapper gasket has recently started leaking, and I just got a new one to replace it. I assume it's due to using the bleach tabs. For scrubbing the bowl, I use the Chlorox toilet wand with the disposable pads. I've made an effort over the last few years since my son was born to reduce the amount of harsh chemicals we use in the house, and have pretty much eliminated all but those bleach tabs. Their effectiveness in a nasty place is hard to ignore.

If the US would just move to a toilet that didn't sit half full of water all day, and to the systems where there is a tiny pool of water near the S bend, and high velocity water washing on every flush...problem solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back