To RTV, or not to RTV

Hey guys, swapping the pan on my 93 Shadow 3.0, got the best looking rubber gasket RockAuto had to offer. Got everything off the transmission mating surface with a Scotch-Brite sponge and a plastic putty knife.

Would you guys RTV with the rubber gasket?

IMG_20230204_121752232.jpg

IMG_20230204_121806646.jpg

I tried RTV only on my pan once, didn't work well. Scraped it all off, got a chintzy gasket from Autozone, no leaks. No RTV to hold it in place either, they were nice to leave 4 or so holes undersized, so I could push some bolts through to line things up, then lift everything at once up and into place.

There's no gaps in the gaskets (like intakes on some V8's) so I don't think any RTV is required here, not even to hold in place just for assembly.

There's no gaps in the gaskets (like intakes on some V8's) so I don't think any RTV is required here, not even to hold in place just for assembly.

I thought that sealing surfaces designed for use with RTV aren't just flat, they have a groove to hold the RTV so it just doesn't squish out.

At least that's the impression I got from a YT video from one of the RTV sealant manufacturers...

I thought that sealing surfaces designed for use with RTV aren't just flat, they have a groove to hold the RTV so it just doesn't squish out.

At least that's the impression I got from a YT video from one of the RTV sealant manufacturers...
May well be. I don't remember now why I tried it--I feel like I asked about it here, and some said they "always" use it, so I figured, why not. I didn't like the results, that's fer sure, not on this car anyhow!

Not familiar with your specific vehicle but I wouldn't RTV with a rubber gasket.

I'd be concerned about fluid getting out between the pan surface and the gasket. The reason why is because that pan surface looks to be a real smooth painted surface. Gaskets don't bond too well to glossy smooth surfaces. I think I'd go with a rubberized paper gasket and some gasket adhesive between the gasket and the pan. I'd leave the top side of the gasket that meets the transmission bare.

Thanks for the confirmation guys. I thought I had read years ago that you use nothing with rubber.
As an aside, Wix has really let me down today. Two filters installed, both times the little plastic nibs on the edges of the pegs that insert into the transmission sheared off instead of flexing. Exchanged the second Wix for a Power Torque filter, and it's on and secure.On goes the pan!

That pan calls for RTV & NO gasket. Rarely is using a gasket successful on Chrysler units that call for RTV. Those thin aftermarket rubber gaskets are pure trash no matter what application they're used on in my experience.
My thoughts exactly, RTV has never let me down.

I have found silicone to be a pain to work with. Tried a rubber gasket but it bulged out the side and leaked. Again tried a rubber gasket but low torque on the bolts, about 5 ft lbs. Tighten until you see the gasket just start to bulge a little. Worked well. Year later I check tightened the bolts. All good.

That pan calls for RTV & NO gasket. Rarely is using a gasket successful on Chrysler units that call for RTV. Those thin aftermarket rubber gaskets are pure trash no matter what application they're used on in my experience.
How do you apply it? Do you apply it as a uniform width bead, or do you spread it out with your finger?

Roughly a 3/16" uniform bead, I recommend using the correct Mopar RTV as well.....68RFE units used in Ram pickups still use RTV to seal the pan so it's readily available.

Back