To Locktite it or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,
I have a Weber 32/36 installed on my 1984 Isuzu pickup truck. I installed the Weber 4 years ago and today I hear a hissing sound while idle. The hissing sound is coming from the Weber carb and when I wiggle it, it's kinda loose. I didn't used Locktite or any tread locker on the manifold stud bolts. I will be re-doing it again this weekend. Any recommendations to lock the studs into the manifold by using Locktite or any tread locker? The manifold stud looks like this https://zcardepot.com/products/webe...QkmgCcKyRE6xdzVOKIaYln11zmExHluRoCUJIQAvD_BwE

Hey guys,
I have a Weber 32/36 installed on my 1984 Isuzu pickup truck. I installed the Weber 4 years ago and today I hear a hissing sound while idle. The hissing sound is coming from the Weber carb and when I wiggle it, it's kinda loose. I didn't used Locktite or any tread locker on the manifold stud bolts. I will be re-doing it again this weekend. Any recommendations to lock the studs into the manifold by using Locktite or any tread locker? The manifold stud looks like this https://zcardepot.com/products/webe...QkmgCcKyRE6xdzVOKIaYln11zmExHluRoCUJIQAvD_BwE
You mean other than using a thread locking compound?

Did you use those lock washers in the picture?

I'd just use a medium strength removable like loctite blue 242. If the studs come loose again, use permatex orange threadlocker (high strength removable)
Noted, I'll be heading to AutoZone or O'Reiley this weekend. I might choose this or the locked washer? thanks.

I'd throw out the star washers and replace with a flat and split washer and call it a day. Think they hold better than star lock washers If it ever came loose again in future, I try the blue 242 or Vibratite threadlocker. Suggest not using anything higher strength as they would likely require torch heat if you ever needed to remove in future on a 5/16 or 8mm stud and that's not a location I'd want to put a torch to.

Based on the replies, Loctite won against lock washers. I will head to O'Reily or AutoZone to buy Loctite 242. Thanks for all the replies everyone :D :D :D

would it be the studs coming out of manifold or the nut coming of of threaded stud ?
would it be of any benefit to double nut the stud and screw into bottom of threads of manifold so they stay in there ?

Split washers really don't do much. Fastener tightness is accomplished thru the production of stress in the threads (proper torque). Split washers become essentially flat washers well before proper torque is achieved.

Last edited:
I think it's a good idea if you have an application where the threads are clean. I'm always working on stuff where the threads are already full of anti-seize. Maybe if I get new steering knuckles and new brake calipers someday, I can start using Locktite.

Locktite to secure the studs if they are loose. A flat washer, star washer, and then the nut. They will need to checked/tightened periodically anyway due to carb to manifold gasket shrinking and inherent vibration characteristics of that engine… Some folks argue that a star washer isn’t very good but they are used on flywheel-flex plate to crankshaft bolts and perform as designed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back