To DRL or not to DRL...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lately I've really been wanting to add DRL's to my Focus. There are 2 ways that I can go about this.

1) Add a relay to the empty spot in the passenger compartment fuse box. Canadian Foci have this relay in there from the factory, whereas the US ones do not. This will keep the low beams on 80% power whenever the key is in the ON position

2) Add an aftermarket LED kit.

I don't much care for #1, since having the low beams on all the times reduces bulb life, plus running them at reduced voltage doesn't allow the halogen cycle to work properly, which also negatively affects bulb life. However, the relay is only about $11, if not less, so this would be the cheapest option.

Option #2 would be a little more expensive (think the Philips LED DRL kit, for example, at $200+ for a decent one). Also, my car has no LED lighting on it whatsoever, so adding little LED light strips would look very out of place IMO, plus I'd likely have to hack up some part of the front fascia to properly mount them. I wish there was some way to add a little 194 bulb somewhere in the headlamp housing to use as DRL, just like many other cars have. Any ideas?

I DRL (they are on by default on the Volvo) and the only question I have is how long this alternator is going to last.

Seems like the best alternator in the world so far...

I have DRLs on my Corolla which operate the low beams at a lower percentage light output. When I bought the car, I thought as you do, that I will be replacing the bulbs frequently as they are always on. However, I have had the car nearly 8 years and have not replaced the bulbs yet.

I would give option #1 a try as it is the cheapest and will provide better light output than the aftermarket LEDs.

Originally Posted By: randomhero439
DRL LED fog lights ftw.

+1

252157_446504195416132_223202043_n.jpg

I'd go with the LEDs. I hate DRLs that use the low beams for a few reasons.

1. People think that because their DRLs are on, they don't need to turn on their lights in rain, snow, fog, etc.

2. I've noticed a huge increase in people that forget to turn their lights on at night, especially with vehicles that have DRLs and a dash that lights up all the time.

3. It prevents flashing of the headlights to signal large trucks that they are ok to get over. As a commercial driver myself, this one really annoys me.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS

1. People think that because their DRLs are on, they don't need to turn on their lights in rain, snow, fog, etc.

2. I've noticed a huge increase in people that forget to turn their lights on at night, especially with vehicles that have DRLs and a dash that lights up all the time.

3. It prevents flashing of the headlights to signal large trucks that they are ok to get over. As a commercial driver myself, this one really annoys me.

This doesn't apply to me, since my gauges are not lit up if my headlights are not on. Also, the 'flash' mode for the brights still works with DRLs. And I am the type of person that will turn my parking lights/headlights on with the slightest hint of overcast conditions, especially since my car is silver and already hard to see. No offense, but 2 out of your 3 points (excluding the flash feature, which I'd still have) only apply to incompetent/distracted drivers, of which I am not.

Also, for those that suggested the fog lamp DRL route: I'd do this in a heartbeat, but my car did not come with the optional fog lamps.

You make a valid point, but my experience is that the majority of drivers on the road are incompetent,distracted, or both.

Wouldn't it be easier to simply turn the lights on each time you drive the vehicle? Make it a habit like fastening the seat belt when you start the car?

Many, many years ago when I managed a motor carrier's fledgling IT department we, along with the drivers were required to take a defensive driving course through the carriers insurance company. One of the things that was drilled into us was the "lights on for safety" program. Ever since, I've automatically turned on my headlights any and every time I'm driving. I don't have to worry about forgetting to turn my headlights on at dusk (they're already on), I don't have to worry about forgetting to turn on my headlights if I hit a little rain (they're already on), and I don't have to worry about figuring out a way to activate daytime running lights-I simply turn the existing headlights on.

And no, I've never experience any sort of premature lamp failure. The headlights in my Elantra are 6 years old, and 3 of those they've been on any time the car has been driven. I've replaced the high beams in our 6 year old Subaru (one burned out last year, and they were both replaced). But the low beam lamps are still the originals.

I'd add the relay and call it good. If you want, a headlight harness will run the low beams at full power so the halogen cycle completes. Put a capacitor across the relay poles on the trigger and relay grounding wires so the relay does not buzz (trigger on and off very rapidly) from the likely PWM signal it'll get.

You make a valid point, but my experience is that the majority of drivers on the road are incompetent,distracted, or both.

I agree. I apologize if I came off brash.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
I'd add the relay and call it good. If you want, a headlight harness will run the low beams at full power so the halogen cycle completes. Put a capacitor across the relay poles on the trigger and relay grounding wires so the relay does not buzz (trigger on and off very rapidly) from the likely PWM signal it'll get.

I do have a headlight harness. Will adding the DRL relay make the harness relay freak out?

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Wouldn't it be easier to simply turn the lights on each time you drive the vehicle? Make it a habit like fastening the seat belt when you start the car?

I got in that habit some years back. The local regulator used to advocate that before DRLs became commonplace. It worked for me, and I still do it on occasion when I'm in the F-150. I just have to be careful when I shut it down since it doesn't have a headlight warning buzzer.
wink.gif

I converted my
parking lights to bright LEDs from Superbright and leave them on all the time. Takes less power than the DRL, which I disconnected, and lights up ALL corners of the car. The lights go on and off with the ignition, no need to worry about switches. The "DRL" was just the low beam H4 filament, UNDERVOLTED. H4 lamps don't like than.

Last edited:

+100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

4. Shortens the already short hour life of "performance" bulbs.

Lesson learned. Example regular Sylvania Vs. Silverstar bulbs... I actually want to disable them on the one vehicle that has them.

I dislike seeing DRL's on oncoming cars, and would be irritated if it were law in my area.

My lowbeams with accompanying lights take ~ 14 amps. If my blower motor is on high(~17 amps) at the same time, ~ 10 amps are flowing out of my battery at hot idle speed because the loads exceed the hot idle speed output of my alternator.

Since the alternator requires ~1 engine HP to make 25 amps, the current required by incandescent DRL's negatively affects MPG to some degree or another, depending on the vehicle.

Originally Posted By: Klutch9
Originally Posted By: sciphi

I do have a headlight harness. Will adding the DRL relay make the harness relay freak out?

It will if it's a PWM signal and not simply a reduced voltage. The relays interpret the PWM signal as many rapid commands to switch on and off, and so they do, quickly enough to buzz as the mechanical bits move back and forth rapidly. This is bad for the relay. A capacitor across the relay smooths out the PWM signal into a steadier voltage.

Originally Posted By: Klutch9

I don't much care for #1, since having the low beams on all the times reduces bulb life, plus running them at reduced voltage doesn't allow the halogen cycle to work properly, which also negatively affects bulb life.

Speaking as a Canadian where DRLs are mandatory on all cars, there is no tangible lifespan impact on the bulbs. I've had ten year old vehicles with the original bulbs still functioning, including ones that run the low beam filament at 50% nonstop.

Originally Posted By: GearheadTool

+100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

You are one of them, what makes you think making videos driving down the interstate at 100+ mph, is safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back